Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shoutbox Temporarily Offline

Marsh

> Yeah, I do think that control abuse is possible but when I work with my Voltisoft team we all have a say and nobody takes absolute power other than the owner who has the patience to listen to us all and Marshy Dearest can do that and he has shown it several times.
>
> And yeah, people need some serious advice sometimes but I've seen so many projects in the game design community where nothing is learned because the author in question can't take advice and I remember a time when I couldn't either but I learned because my projects were not good design choices back then and I revised myself and my choices to become a better thinker.
>
> I like this discussion right here, and Eclipse should be a bit more like this.

Agreed, there are people who have determination and potential only to throw it all down the drain because they fly off the handle every time someone offers valid criticism. I'd say after talking it out and thinking about it, it might be best to find a middle ground between control and freedom, because complete freedom does offer a slew of its own issues.

I've got to go, so I can't brainstorm about how to achieve that ideal but I really enjoyed myself here. I hope this all resolves without any bloodshed, lol.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess so Richy, hit up Tinychat I guess. I really hope this doesn't happen again, and if it does let it not come out of the mouth of an administrator and a few others who have other standpoints completely on Eclipse's community, let's keep it minor and non-serious. Were of all ages here on Eclipse, so we should at least push the age factor aside and be a bit mature.

> i've learned a lot from this community, productive wise. I learned from JC on how to blt something to the screen and i learned from mah friend, Nickpop123, on how to make rpg styled text animation. I have also learned a lot from Marshy Dearest on C++ and bum candy like that.
>
> me, i used to use Game Maker 8.0 and i used to love that thing, it was like Eclipse back when i used it…Then i found XW which was the bum candy for a couple of weeks. and after that, i found this site and went from GML, to Scripting, and finally to vb6 itself! I loved that i was actually able to do something *cough* and it was a whole new change for me...vb6 was easy for me since i learned Game Maker Language(GML) when in all fact, GML is just a vb6 language covered up.
>
> it all comes down to not what you knew, but what you learned.

GML is far from Vb6, it borrows it's concept mostly from languages such as [C](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_(programming_language)), [C++](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B) and [Java](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_(programming_language)), effectively making use of [Object-oriented programming](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-oriented_programming).

> I do not see how a dev-blog will be of much help.. The only post in it from me would be, 3.1 coming soon once I get everything situated. Simply because that is how I am, I don't keep very organized or anything like that nor am I paid my awesome eclipse wage to do so….

Most dev blogs don't have constant updates anyway, but at least Jeff and you posting a few things every so often would do the people who are impatient the favor or knowing what they are waiting for. Regardless I'm not saying I'm impatient because I trust development takes time and my projects take time too.

> GML is far from Vb6, it borrows it's concept mostly from languages such as [C](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_(programming_language)), [C++](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B) and [Java](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_(programming_language)), effectively making use of [Object-oriented programming](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-oriented_programming).

That is true but when you look at it, it still has a lot of vb6 functions.

> That is true but when you look at it, it still has a lot of vb6 functions.

Because VB6 is just a watered down programming language, the language was literally created to provide a fast solution to outputting applications with often times less knowledge then another language such as C required.

You know what, I've calmed down, and here's what I have to say:

TO EVERYONE (INCLUDING ME):

I think we need to start enforcing a "No Dickheads" rule, in that, anyone attempting to act like a jackass, douchebag, asshole, etc etc to anyone else, regardless of appropriateness, should be banned, permanently, regardless of role played in the site. Why? Because everyone seems to think that is the problem. Make it official. No more arguing, no more flaming, no more anger, after this topic I think the staff should start meeting any form of the listed with a permanent ban. Instead of dragging the community down, let's remove all the hatred.

Just to gratify everyone who wants it: I apologize for acting like a complete douchebag-fuckhead. I also apologize for the fact that apparently I take this too seriously, so I guess I'll take it less seriously.

Also, there's nothing wrong with our current staff. Most of the issues are from people constantly hating on them, so they react. It's human nature. And as for the "All staff should act like JC," there's one fatal flaw with that: If we carbon copy all of our staff, then the community becomes a house of robots. And those of you who keep saying we need more creativity should be arguing against that, mostly because it would deplete the creativity factor.

As for more moderation, if you really want something moderated, there's a report button at the bottom of every single post. Use the damn thing. We cannot see every single post on this forum, but we do look at all the reports. We look at every one of those fairly and unbiased.

My final point, how do you guys think anything gets done around here if none of the staff know what they are doing? Do you even understand how complicated our tasks are? Does anyone know what we even do?

Thanks,

Aeroplane

> Sup, Richy, sigh…we should get the shoutbox back now...

No, you shouldn't there is no evidence what so ever, especially from you (yes, I am pointing a finger because you have been in every argument that I have seen tonight) that would give Marshy Dearest/any other admin any reason to believe that the second it was open that arguing would not immediately begin again.

> Also, there's nothing wrong with our current staff. Most of the issues are from people constantly hating on them, so they react. It's human nature. And as for the "All staff should act like JC," there's one fatal flaw with that: If we carbon copy all of our staff, then the community becomes a house of robots.

Yea, I am normally pretty calm, helpful even when I am not busy but by no means would I want everyone like me o.O, absolutely no moderation, at all would ever get done XDXD.

Well, Eclipse ain't Amerika and there isn't a constitution post, therefore a member has no rights.. One can try going legal but the lawyer will laugh in your eye and tell you to duck off. Donations or not, there's no return consideration for a donation here - Meaning the services rendered here are not forced by donation, therefore Marshy Dearest is right, donations should never be in this topic.

Members build the site, Yes - The cycle of old to new always revolves (That's if Marshy Dearest has this site first listed on a 'free 2D mmorpg maker' keyword then duck you if you don't like how this is ran, people will come and people will go, been that way for 6 years..

But now I have a problem with how this was dealt with, why not just shoutbox mute the duckers that turned assholes? I feel like I've been muted on the actions of others now as well.

I might retire from this discussion now, I think Marshy Dearest has heard enough or will hear enough to make some choices. I'll only reply very little on this from here on and I hope this dies off quickly and promptly ends up the hall of shame.

I'll leave my two cents right here. This happened because because one person get egotistical off of power and their work and the rest are at each other because bad names were tossed around. After reading Aer's last post, were all guilty here and even I think I'm wrong. Sure, it'd be nice to have Eclipse a bit more professionalized and a person with power on Eclipse has a time consuming task but at the same time this shouldn't excuse anyone from being a bit of a jerk.

I say we keep our problems reported where they should properly be handled, either in PM to Marshy Dearest or reported with that nifty button, and keep our bum candy tucked and everyone keep it clean from here on. As for higher standards in the site, this is a sensitive thing but it would be a good idea to look them over, you never know.

I love you all and I would take up any role needed whether being hated deeply or in power for the community to make sure there is an example of how things are done and I've learned a lot here and my maturity has grown right here ever since I signed up that day in May a few years back. Marshy Dearest has had this community running for six years and if were going to complain let's keep it organized and handle it properly.

Peace Eclipse, let's go back to our projects, lives, hobbies and passions as developers, artists, composers or whatever you are.

> So I gotta suffer without a shoutbox because other people got stick in they ass?

That's what I was thinking too -.-

> I think we need to start enforcing a "No Dickheads" rule, in that, anyone attempting to act like a jackass, douchebag, asshole, etc etc to anyone else, regardless of appropriateness, should be banned, permanently, regardless of role played in the site.

Damnit. Does that mean I have to stop hating Joyce? Gosh i'm gonna be banned in one day XD

I'm personally glad the shoutbox will be back soon, as someone who has grown a soft spot for this community, it is (usually) nice to chat to everyone while at work. I do agree that the smack-talk is unnecessary, I run my own forums and have for years, and know exactly how it feels to have all your hard work bashed. I also know to not take it all to heart though, as the majority do recognize your efforts, and the minority are just busy bodies with nothing better to do. If you have a problem with something…do the right thing and PM about it.

No need to cause a bum candy storm in the shoutbox every time you have an issue with something, or someone, emphasis on the later.

Much <3 to Eclipse!

> You know what, I've calmed down, and here's what I have to say:
>
> TO EVERYONE (INCLUDING ME):
>
> I think we need to start enforcing a "No Dickheads" rule, in that, anyone attempting to act like a jackass, douchebag, asshole, etc etc to anyone else, regardless of appropriateness, should be banned, permanently, regardless of role played in the site. Why? Because everyone seems to think that is the problem. Make it official. No more arguing, no more flaming, no more anger, after this topic I think the staff should start meeting any form of the listed with a permanent ban. Instead of dragging the community down, let's remove all the hatred.
>
> Just to gratify everyone who wants it: I apologize for acting like a complete douchebag-fuckhead. I also apologize for the fact that apparently I take this too seriously, so I guess I'll take it less seriously.
>
> Also, there's nothing wrong with our current staff. Most of the issues are from people constantly hating on them, so they react. It's human nature. And as for the "All staff should act like JC," there's one fatal flaw with that: If we carbon copy all of our staff, then the community becomes a house of robots. And those of you who keep saying we need more creativity should be arguing against that, mostly because it would deplete the creativity factor.
>
> As for more moderation, if you really want something moderated, there's a report button at the bottom of every single post. Use the damn thing. We cannot see every single post on this forum, but we do look at all the reports. We look at every one of those fairly and unbiased.
>
> My final point, how do you guys think anything gets done around here if none of the staff know what they are doing? Do you even understand how complicated our tasks are? Does anyone know what we even do?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Magical Aeroplane

Sure, but logic dictates that to moderate others, you must first be able to moderate yourself. Restraint and using your brain is key.

I have dealt with those disturbing the communities peace, unfortunately I have no idea how to put the shoutbox back up so you'll all have to wait until there is an admin that does.

As for the offenders let me make this clear, this a hobby site made for game-making enthusiasts and a generally fun place to hang. We don't need these elitist ideals of "Project Standards" and the Eclipse staff always get to every REPORTED case, if you feel the staff isn't doing its job, how about you do your part and REPORT IT! I cannot stress this enough!

In the mean time, members, please enjoy your stay in one of the many boards we offer until our shoutbox is back in functioning order.