Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shoutbox Temporarily Offline

Marsh

> In defence to me doing "Almost Nothing" well that feels like a personal attack to me. I do a lot. You dont see the majority of it becouse it is behind the scenes. I am extremely busy with college right now and building my life into a place where i want it to be. I have poured thousands of dollers into this site and continue to work on it. I am in contact with Magical Aeroplane, Devogen, Socuine, Jeff, and many others to continue site development. I am constantly tweaking settings, graphics. I worked on search engine results for years. Do you see any differance? No. But the truth is work is being done. I dont feel like i should even be defending myself. Its stupid. This site has been running for close to 6 ducking years. I have been paying hosting bills and making sure this site is running successfully. Yes, i get busy. That doesnt mean i dont care about the future of Eclipse. Real life comes into play. I dont think its fair at all to call me out on this bum candy.

You shouldn't have to defend yourself on this because Eclipse started with you and everything we've seen so far is under your supervision and you've done a damn fine job at it. Again I don't think the site or the engine or any technical stuff is involved but the problems the community had with eachother is. Let's just end it with a revision of staff between them, no bias intended, pick a few new candidates behind the curtains if you need to, and we all learn a moral lession: It's the internet and you're here for no cost to you, enjoy it.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Also when you have someone in a position of power like Magical Aeroplane right now and then you see him bitching and arguing with other people in this thread and not keeping a calm attitude or mind, it makes situations worse.

Although everyone is human and its not like Eclipse is any of their "jobs" if you are in a position of power, you should act like it and not get involved in flame wars and arguments because thats where abuse of powers comes into play…

> I dont want to sound harsh, and maybe i am taking the comments a bit irrationally. But if some of you hate Eclipse that bad, feel free to leave.

Amen. Lots of communities have fallen because the people who hated it were too lazy to leave and do what the things they kept complaining about.

> Also when you have someone in a position of power like Magical Magical Aeroplane right now and then you see him bitching and arguing with other people in this thread and not keeping a calm attitude or mind, it makes situations worse.
>
> Although everyone is human and its not like Eclipse is any of their "jobs" if you are in a position of power, you should act like it and not get involved in flame wars and arguments because thats where abuse of powers comes into play…

+9001

Ertzel has a point, and sure this has been a bit of flaming back and forth but seriously you can't expect much more out of humans when we get names like douchebag and ignorant and what not thrown at eachother.

Agreed as well, if your in power, do yourself a favor and step back from taking it seriously where others would.

> lol, now theres a idea ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png)

A 'flame' board will do nothing more then start even more arguments, and further the downfall of the community.

I say we have a no questions asked policy. If you break the rule you are warned/banned/muted with no warning, and without a biased person distributing those warnings.

If a certain user/usergroup breaks the rules, he is warned along with the rest of us.

> You've got some points but let's be honest with ourselves, if we reject a project thread but give them advice, they still learn that A. They didn't follow guidelines and B. whatever we gave them as advice, and honestly this requires a team who can handle advice. Sure, a bad project may be a learning experience but with an internet community it just beings problems and needs revision from the creator instead of some hypocritical internet members. Just saying.

I see your points, and I don't think they're particularly wrong - I just feel like bouncing back projects, even giving them advice, isn't exactly giving them a chance. What if something denied would have actually rapidly improved or became more popular than expected once put through the scrutiny of their own peers? Without some pressure, varied criticism and expectations of other people wont learn the crucial things needed to succeed.

I also wonder where it would stop, the problem with control is it gets out of hand, if you tighten the collar in one place inevitably it will begin to tighten in others due to trying to keep a handle on control, these arguments and such are unavoidable because we're all people with different ideas and opinions. People just need to buck up and learn to handle petty disputes themselves and if it becomes out of hand that's what the moderators are there for. There will never be an ultimate loving utopia among human beings and trying to control that aspect through quality will only reduce the issues because there's less activity since people are being locked out.

I don't know if either of us are right or wrong, but I do appreciate you talking it out with me instead of resorting to flaming, thank you for that ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png)

> That's actually the best idea I've heard…a section where people can legitimately get out their arguing..would definitely keep peace in the shout box and could also be fun.

You already have that: It's called a, "Personal Messenger." There are two things that I do not agree with: 1\. Administrators/Moderators circumventing the language filter. 2\. Posting disputes on a public forum that is visible by non-members; if I were a non-member and this was my first time visit, I wouldn't even bother to register.

> That's actually the best idea I've heard…a section where people can legitimately get out their arguing..would definitely keep peace in the shout box and could also be fun.

All I know is I want this topic in the Hall of shame no matter the result of it because this was just a mess on everyone's part, no offence to anyone, even I probably acted a bit immature here.

> I like that idea even better, if you want to start shaping the community start by ENFORCING rule to all, no more bias judgement for any user group.

Then that defies human instinct. You should be allowed to judge, it's our nature to judge what we want. Just make a board and keep someone moderating it.

> I like that idea even better, if you want to start shaping the community start by ENFORCING rule to all, no more bias judgement for any user group.

You shouldn't be making judgement calls at all since you are also a perpetrator in this here argument. My point brings us back around to one of my earlier statements regarding said topic: If you cannot moderate yourself you should not be moderating others.

> I see your points, and I don't think they're particularly wrong - I just feel like bouncing back projects, even giving them advice, isn't exactly giving them a chance. What if something denied would have actually rapidly improved or became more popular than expected once put through the scrutiny of their own peers? Without some pressure, varied criticism and expectations of others people wont learn the crucial things needed to succeed.
>
> I also wonder where it would stop, the problem with control is it gets out of hand, if you tighten the collar in one place inevitably it will begin to tighten in others due to trying to keep a handle on control, these arguments and such are unavoidable because we're all people with different ideas and opinions. People just need to buck up and learn to handle petty disputes themselves and if it becomes out of hand that's what the moderators are there for. There will never be an ultimate loving utopia among human beings and trying to control that aspect through quality will only reduce the issues because there's less activity since people are being locked out.
>
> I don't know if either of us are right and wrong, but I do appreciate you talking it out with me instead of resorting to flaming, thank you for that ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png)

Yeah, I do think that control abuse is possible but when I work with my Voltisoft team we all have a say and nobody takes absolute power other than the owner who has the patience to listen to us all and Marshy Dearest can do that and he has shown it several times.

And yeah, people need some serious advice sometimes but I've seen so many projects in the game design community where nothing is learned because the author in question can't take advice and I remember a time when I couldn't either but I learned because my projects were not good design choices back then and I revised myself and my choices to become a better thinker.

I like this discussion right here, and Eclipse should be a bit more like this.

> You shouldn't be making judgement calls at all since you are also a perpetrator in this here argument. My point brings us back around to one of my earlier statements regarding said topic: If you cannot moderate yourself you should not be moderating others.

I wouldn't exactly say I'm a perpetrator, there is no argument, and I'm not making judgement of any kind..it's called opinion, don't forget you were also involved.