Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Developer

Marsh

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> Nothing stops them, and if the community votes for the person who downloads your custom version and changes a very small amount of things, unfortunately it was decided by a vote by the community, and as such you will most likely need to deal with it.

Exactly why I won't bother ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png)

But also, if your wanting to be one of/the main developer for the next "standard" of eclipse and your worried about people stealing the code, its not going to do much good if you get the part… The whole concept is for you to be developing an open source engine for people to use.

> But also, if your wanting to be one of/the main developer for the next "standard" of eclipse and your worried about people stealing the code, its not going to do much good if you get the part… The whole concept is for you to be developing an open source engine for people to use.

That's the goal the with project as a whole, but if you're going to run a contest to pick the next main developer, then having it open-sourced defeats the purpose of a competition. ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png)

> My problem with this is you're going to get people who simply take all the various tutorials out there, combine it all into one project and say it's their own modification. Which doesn't show any true signs of experience or knowledge, just that you can understand the source enough to add tutorials or know where to put things.

Youre? So you mean the community as a whole? Becouse this is a vote. If this is what yo vote for then it will happen, Simply decide what you want,

> Youre? So you mean the community as a whole? Becouse this is a vote. If this is what yo vote for then it will happen, Simply decide what you want,

Yeah, I mean the community as a whole, we'll end up with so many bastardized versions of the same thing because everyone will want to be the 'developer', nothing will be original, it'll be clones of the same code from a bunch of people all wanting some seat of authority. I realize we're trying to get the community involved, but the vote method to choose the next lead developer, is a lot like communism, good in theory, poorly deployed. ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png) There are plenty on here who have the 'know-how' to see it into a new age, who aren't just taking tutorials and clustering them into one zip. And I am not referring to myself, I'm capable but there are people who've been around much longer who should inherit the throne (as it were)

I think the staff should vote, not the community. Would discourage bias, and oblivious people who have no idea voting for something inefficient, just because it's feature packed.

Plus, the thing about others ripping from your engine and then being able to use it is rather unfair. Any inefficient engine can just rip something from a dedicated project, and then call it efficient, albeit most likely using it improperly, or not making a difference (Definitely not naming anything in particular.)

i agree with champion, send the source to Marshy Dearest, he takes a look, then puts it up vote amongst the staff.

because we all know how its gonna end, the engine with most stuff in it is gonna win, and to be honest, i think thats not the eclipse way.

we need a base engine, which everybody can expand on their own, we tried filling a engine to the brim allready, and did that work? no… xd

dami

> I would choose deathbeam and his engine EA ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png)
>
> Just to have this said

Thank you for proving me right.

Baseless, oblivious comments.

> Thats okay, Damian and I will just release Eclipse Origins Nightly Advanced Mega Ultimate Skywyre Dragon Stable.

Wahahahahahahahaha. xD

I agree with blkcrow, Eclipse was teaching people when EO 2.0 came out, simply because it was a base, it forced people to learn to add their features in, even the copy/pasta part of Eclipse still got people learning "something". A feature packed engine (would be great for user friendliness) however, where does Eclipse go from there then? Slap tutorial after tutorial, feature after feature, we'll be going down the same path Eclipse Evolution did, building a castle on top of a shakey foundation is not a good path. I just hope that whatever comes of this, the option of keeping a simple base is considered.

I think epicly optimized engine will be best, and i am trying to do it with EA and as i see Iris is trying too ![:P](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.png) But i think engine without any features is not very good too. Atleast event system is good start . I now downloaded EO 2.0, EO 3.0 and CS:DE and i gonna compare speeds, CPU usage etc and i am gonna find what i maybe done wrong (but i think my speed is almost exactly same as CS:DE, but i am not 100 % sure about CPU usage). I gonna use same tileset and graphics and same maps on same PC so i will try to compare everything and then i will try to optimize EA code a lot too (i done my GUI cls few days ago i must now just test it and then i will implement it) And i suggesting to you Iris to rewrite or optimize Event System, becouse it have really impact on packets and CPS on server (i removed packet flooding check in my game becouse Events, but then i readded it becouse i maked custom Event System and implemented it to it ![:P](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.png) )