Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Developer

Marsh

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> Some people want a bare engine to play with others are looking for something easy to piss about with making a game in. Eclipse should offer both.

I agree with this thinking, I see no reason why we can't suit everyone's opinions and be happy for everyones decisions, so long as it fufils them.

> because it's life, we talk shit for fun…not to mention this is a forums...most of the ppl on this forums really don't care.

It's a very immature thought to say it's life and make excuses for poor behaviour such as "it's a forum" etc. Participate in a community with positive actions or you have no reason to be in a community imo. (Not calling you immature but the logic behind that.)

I think a plan of action for eclipse should be this;

We provide three different builds of the base engine, remember how Ubuntu has official flavors? Like that. We provide;

**Basic -** An engine that provides everything a standard Eclipse game would need, a base for anyone to work off of.

**Optimal -**Same as basic minus some features that have bugs and nothing is added until deemed bug-free. Like Eclopti Rekindled basically.

**Powerhouse -** Engine specifically meant to hop in with the good stuff added right in, so people can jump into Eclipse without a need for programming knowledge.

Anything else should be covered to custom versions but we need a set of official choices.

Just my two cents.

> I think a plan of action for eclipse should be this;
>
> We provide three different builds of the base engine, remember how Ubuntu has official flavors? Like that. We provide;
>
> **Basic -** An engine that provides everything a standard Eclipse game would need, a base for anyone to work off of.
>
> **Optimal -**Same as basic minus some features that have bugs and nothing is added until deemed bug-free. Like Eclopti Rekindled basically.
>
> **Powerhouse -** Engine specifically meant to hop in with the good stuff added right in, so people can jump into Eclipse without a need for programming knowledge.
>
> Anything else should be covered to custom versions but we need a set of official choices.
>
> Just my two cents.

i kinda like this way of thinking, but i kinda consider Eclopti to be more of a base version, just a solid fast no frills start.

> I think a plan of action for eclipse should be this;
>
> We provide three different builds of the base engine, remember how Ubuntu has official flavors? Like that. We provide;
>
> **Basic -** An engine that provides everything a standard Eclipse game would need, a base for anyone to work off of.
>
> **Optimal -**Same as basic minus some features that have bugs and nothing is added until deemed bug-free. Like Eclopti Rekindled basically.
>
> **Powerhouse -** Engine specifically meant to hop in with the good stuff added right in, so people can jump into Eclipse without a need for programming knowledge.
>
> Anything else should be covered to custom versions but we need a set of official choices.
>
> Just my two cents.

Eclipse is really already like this. People come to the forum and get the official version. This is good because it lets people get started without being to confused of what to download. Then they explore the forum and see the many other versions of Eclipse (official old versions or custom releases).

> Eclipse is really already like this. People come to the forum and get the official version. This is good because it lets people get started without being to confused of what to download. Then they explore the forum and see the many other versions of Eclipse (official old versions or custom releases).

So when's the vote for a new developer?

> If the community is going to vote, I would like someone to do a breakdown of the code, for each one or for a few of the more promising ones. Maybe a couple of people could do it so it goes faster or whatever.
>
> As far as engines go, if anyone rewrites the packet system with UDP packets they have my vote, unless they seriously duck up.

Why would you want UDP? UDP is more for p2p type of networking. TCP is more trustworthy, and managing packets would become a much bigger mess in my opinion.

I think anyone who wants to improve the core engine and not add more features would be a good replacement, but good luck to whoever wants to take Jscinder's place.

> Why would you want UDP? UDP is more for p2p type of networking. TCP is more trustworthy, and managing packets would become a much bigger mess in my opinion.
>
> I think anyone who wants to improve the core engine and not add more features would be a good replacement, but good luck to whoever wants to take Jscinder's place.

Quite a few people have no idea what they're talking about.