Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Developer

Marsh

JC is currently resigning from the VB6 side of development. This means that Eclipse could use a new developer. If you think you (or your team) is up for the task we would love to have you. The ultimate problem with new developers is finding one that will actually do the work. So instead of simply placing your name down some evidence of skill will have to be given. A custom version of your engine should be posted. Each team or person will have 2 months to create a custom version better then any other. This gives time to people who have not yet started, or lets you enhance a already successful engine.

The community will then vote on who they wish to be the new developer. This way the majority of the community should be happy. So apply here now, or simply start your work and post it for all to see.

If at all possible lets try to make this about the code and not personal vendettas or popularity. You think your version is better? Let your engine prove it and the community decide.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would this engine be used as the actual engine or would it be just a proof of concept?

Well I'd like to apply. I personally don't mind working with the other 4 developers but that's all up to them.

> Would this engine be used as the actual engine or would it be just a proof of concept?
>
> Well I'd like to apply. I personally don't mind working with the other 4 developers but that's all up to them.

Either or, its up to you. If you want to continue building the engine from that state go ahead. Or start from scratch.

Even though I already created a [very good Java engine](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/index.php?/topic/126678-simple-orpg/) I'm going to refactor/rewrite it with a revised goal of pixel based, UDP and better Maven integration. If anyone wants to help shoot me a PM

> I'll apply too.. Even though I already created a [very good Java engine](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/index.php?/topic/126678-simple-orpg/) I'm going to refactor/rewrite it with a revised goal of pixel based, UDP and better Maven integration. If anyone wants to help shoot me a PM

Uh I think this is for VB6 only, I might be wrong though.

> Even though I already created a [very good Java engine](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/index.php?/topic/126678-simple-orpg/) I'm going to refactor/rewrite it with a revised goal of pixel based, UDP and better Maven integration. If anyone wants to help shoot me a PM

This is a vb6 Contest. Though we are always looking to expand to new languages. Shoot me a pm and we can work something out.

> Well…jcsnider didn't last as long as I'd hoped...but still excited to see whats head for eclipse.

I am long from gone. I auctually have many surpises in store that should be coming in the near future. Stay tuned ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png) I am only dropping my position has the head developer of the vb6 engine.

My problem with this is you're going to get people who simply take all the various tutorials out there, combine it all into one project and say it's their own modification. Which doesn't show any true signs of experience or knowledge, just that you can understand the source enough to add tutorials or know where to put things.

> My problem with this is you're going to get people who simply take all the various tutorials out there, combine it all into one project and say it's their own modification. Which doesn't show any true signs of experience or knowledge, just that you can understand the source enough to add tutorials or know where to put things.

Thats what i was argueing about in the shoutbox. I prefered the method where you nominate someone other than yourself.

For example I know Rob Janes would be good for the spot because he's worked on a custom version that had unique features and he has done great programming work on his own game as well.

This is just an example he might not even want to be a Dev, but i can vouch his work is real. Custom Versions arn't always made by the guy but rather just assembled.

Thanks Greendude, I certainly wouldn't mind doing it, so I'll likely submit my own. My issue is, if we upload our own version, what stops someone from downloading it, changing a few variables, putting the code into their own version and saying "Oh, I did it as well..'see it's written differently'"

> Thanks Greendude, I certainly wouldn't mind doing it, so I'll likely submit my own. My issue is, if we upload our own version, what stops someone from downloading it, changing a few variables, putting the code into their own version and saying "Oh, I did it as well..'see it's written differently'"

Since i hope you win, and because we have members who could do such a thing, simply upload your custom version on the last day. I think Marshy said we had 2 months. So just wait til the last week and upload it and submit your application.

Good luck!

> Thanks Greendude, I certainly wouldn't mind doing it, so I'll likely submit my own. My issue is, if we upload our own version, what stops someone from downloading it, changing a few variables, putting the code into their own version and saying "Oh, I did it as well..'see it's written differently'"

Nothing stops them, and if the community votes for the person who downloads your custom version and changes a very small amount of things, unfortunately it was decided by a vote by the community, and as such you will most likely need to deal with it.

However, should the issue actually arise and be reported properly, I know I will do my best to keep this a fair fight, and remove anyone who attempts to steal work from others to claim as their own.

Thanks,

Aeroplane