Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RELEASE DATE for Eclipse Evolution 3.0/Solar Eclipse/Java Eclipse!

Admiral Refuge

Estimated Release Date: It will come out when it comes out.

Allow me to explain why we tell users that, when they ask for the date.

A release date ends up putting pressure on the devs – alot of pressure.  Some developers have left the dev team, while other times the "new" version got released early because people couldn't wait anymore, and it had bugs, etc.

We lost a great deal of members on the Development team, because they got too stressed out, due to people begging them to release the new versions, so they eventually released them (of course, with bugs), which not only have given Eclipse a reputation of always being a buggy engine, but the developers being scorned by angry members (new and old) when they couldn't get the engine working.

Back when 2.5 was in development (as well as many of the other ones), a release date was given (they said like, "It will be released two months from now").  Those two months came and went, the engine still wasn't finished (they were trying to debug it).  What happened?  Members started getting inpatient and began demanding the engine to be completed.  To make matters worse, dg's computer crashed, and he couldn't access the source until he got a new motherboard.  Members left eclipse, and a riot virtually broke out.  After afew more months, dg was finally able to get access to his computer files again, and the devs began trying to finish working on the engine.  Of course, users continued to complain "When is the new engine coming out?", because they couldn't work on a game (due to the reason EE2.4 was very buggy).  So the devs put EE2.5 out, with plenty of unresolved bugs -- just about the entire 2.5 dev team quit.

Look at when Mellowz said "3.0 is right around the corner", back in December.  What happened?  People are still saying, "WHERE IS 3.0? YOU GUYS SAID IT WOULD BE OUT SOON MONTHS AGO!!!".  But since then, the other devs stopped working on it, leaving HM to rewrite the entire engine in Java -- from scratch.

Eclipse Evolution 2.7, is currently the most stable version of Eclipse to-date, and that's because the developers took the time not to add more features, but to debug the engine (as well as removing features).  It's at the point now, where there are fixes available for virtually every bug in 2.7, and that's after about a year since it's been released.  What this means, is that you can make a game in EE2.7, and it will work virtually flawlessly.  Sure, it's no 3.0, but it still works very well.

I applaud Homicidal Monkey for everything he is doing for this engine, as well as every other developer that has dedicated countless hours making this engine what it is today.  Unfortunately, I see people making remarks on the new engine in development, "EE3.0 is a myth", or "HM is just telling us this stuff to stall", etc.  Homicidal Monkey is working on this engine by him self, while also working on school.  Moreso, he is not getting paid for this either, he's doing all this as volunteer work (a good amount of the devs were volunteers). 

In short, the reason we are always telling users "Do not ask when the new version is coming out", is because we have had very bad experiences in the past; we want to finally do it right this time.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do-Date?

And yeah, HM is basicly solo'ing a boss with  1kk hp :[.. And Winning :D.

Anyway, I hope this works out for everyone.. mostly HM. I guess it's a pretty much rock under his sole ahving to work that much for our sake. ;0

@Smallbro:

> link=topic=45337.msg460545#msg460545 date=1243701013]
> is it true what it say's on the front page? That you pay the dev's?

All the developers work for free, though they basically become part owners of Eclipse.

Get some sleep HM. No-ones bugging over the Solar release, excited, nervous and anxious yes but, none of us want you to kill yourself over it. Whats another week or two?
I think I speak for everyone when I say thanks for all your hard work. SERIOUSLY.

@ The Newb's That Won't Stop Asking: No, Just No.

Id like to give HM a pat on the back for sticking with this.
When i first asked to become a moderator Anna said to me..
"do you really want to?" as if it was a bad thing.
but it wasnt. its just alot of work. New people constantly ask you things
and they complain when rules are enforced on them when they do not follow them. so i think i can understand a lil bit of your stress.
Hang in there HM ;)

heh scared me for a bit when i seen the subject. I was thinking oh no… now I got more things I got to do.. lol ><
My site went and messed up and im testing a few alpha phases and other things irl going on.. omg if you said tomorrow I would be madly stressed. Thanks Admiral for telling everyone this, as for me I prefer quality, which is why I'm glad you posted "it will be out when it will be out" meaning you all too care about quality.

Glad to see other coders out there caring more for their work instead of what others care about their work...

Anyways, I'll be ready when it comes out, just take it nice and slow. and thanks for briefing us on the project ;)

well said admiral,
if all users read this they'd understand why not to ask for 3.0 making a game engine is hard work but people think its just easy and it should be done in a month but if all mmorpg makers were done in a month they'd all suck. now knowing that there are like no developers working on it, its easy to understand why 3.0 is taking so long. I'm willing to wait as long as it takes for it to come out. Thanks to all eclipse developers. As for when 3.0 does come out it would be better just to say your not making  3.1 or 4.0 weather you are or not just to keep these members satisfied. Now that i've got a taste of vb6 and trying to source i can understand all this work that's being put into it. This is clearly the best game maker that can be found on the internet and for all you others that JUST cant wait for 3.0 and are quitting to find a better game maker, get this through your THICK SKULLS. "This is the best, and always will be MMORPG game maker."

The only date I ask for is when will people stop asking for dates on EE 3.0's release. Lol. I am fine with 2.7 and I love it. It is extremely stable and many people look down upon it since they are being fed minor previews of EE 3.0\. I think that 2.7 will always be in 3.0's shadow and most people will switch to 3.0\. I am one of the few who will not go crazy once it is released and not harass HM because it contains bugs (this is a fact). So I warn you HM, be prepared to be trampled by noobs saying "OMFG WTFUQZ? WHY BUG IN GAME MAKE ENGINE??!!111 ONE." I wish you the best of luck with that.

lol thats completely true mrmiggu. nothings perfect there will always be someone doing exactly what mrmiggu just said and when you wrote

> "OMFG WTFUQZ? WHY BUG IN GAME MAKE ENGINE??!!111 ONE."

it made me laugh my ass off.

@Zultar:

> lol thats completely true mrmiggu. nothings perfect there will always be someone doing exactly what mrmiggu just said and when you wroteit made me laugh my ass off.

After a month ill bet everyone will find a fix (if they try to, otherwise it could take forever)

@Бог:

> After a month ill bet everyone will find a fix (if they try to, otherwise it could take forever)

Well since it's Java, many people will be unfamiliar so it might take longer than expected.