Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RELEASE DATE for Eclipse Evolution 3.0/Solar Eclipse/Java Eclipse!

Admiral Refuge

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Zetta:

> more people know Java than vb6.

But not necessarily on these forums. If people came here to use the engine's source, they would most likely know vb6\. While on the other hand, most people know Java when compared to VB6 knowers.

@Zetta:

> sorry to say it vb6 fanboys, but  the language is dead.
>
> btw, its easy to pick up. I have everything documented.

I am not denying that the language is dead, but most people on these forums are more familiar with VB6 rather than Java. I think most help towards fixing bugs will be coming from the people that use these forums.

@MrMiguuâ„¢:

> I am not denying that the language is dead, but most people on these forums are more familiar with VB6 rather than Java. I think most help towards fixing bugs will be coming from the people that use these forums.

Dont even try to argue with Homicidal :D

well, people will catch on.
the basics are:
[public/private] class class_whatever implement interface extends otherClass
{
[public/private] [protected] [static/dynamic/abstract] [return_type] function_name(paramObj1 param1, paramObj2 param2, … paramObjN paramN)
{
    if(statement1 == statement2)
    {
          //only executed when if statement is true
          code_executed();
    }
      else if(statement1 > statement2)
      {
          //only executed if first statement is false and this statement is treu
          code_executed();
          more_code();
      }
      else
      {
          //writes to console if neither are true
          System.out.println("neither are true");
      }
    //breaks processing of the function and returns the object. not needed for type "void".
    return [object];
}
}

public: the function can be seen outside of the class
private: the function can be seen only inside the class

protected: the function can be seen only within the package
unprotected: default, requires no keyword.

static: the function can be used without creating the object
dynamic: default, requires no keyword. The function can only be used if an object is made.
abstract: the function includes no code as of now. This is used for when that function is anticipated in another object and is called.

return_type: Any data structure or object that the function returns. "void" returns null.

class: an object containing code
function: a member of a class that processes code
enum: a list of objects that the object might be. Can be a class.
interface: an object that requires construction within another object. This is a form of abstract programming.

import: prompts jvm to load a package or class. There is no difference in performance from loading a package than that of a single class. Loading a single class is only used if there are multiple classes used that have the same name.

package: specifies which package the class belongs to. This is the absolute path from the root of the application. eg: "package eclipse.client;" will state that the class is within the folder "eclipse/client/"

implement: States that the class is part of a specific interface. The class therefore must include a dynamic function for the abstract functions in the implemented interface.

extends: States that the class is an "extension" of the specified class. It includes all of the constructors, methods, and data types that the other class had. Everything in Java extends from java.lang.Object by default. (but you didn't need to know that)

entry points:
applet: public void init()
application: public static void main(String args[])

note: an applet must have its entry point class extend either java.applet.Applet (old applet) or javax.swing.Applet (new applet)

if you read all the way to here, congratulations! You now know Java!

I agree.  I've been here since paperdoll was first introduced into eclipse (3.5 i believe) and i watched this all happen.  It really started after TE released.  A lot of new features were being added and EE was released soon after (way to drop a whole version name :p ).  The features continued to pour in (big spells, 32x64 and 64x64 sprites, quest editor, etc.) and the bugs amounted so high that i actually quit using eclipse right after 2.5's release.  the new engine was so buggy that it wasn't worth attempting to use.  So i was pretty surprised to find that EE was still on 2.7 when i came back, but after d/l it i found that almost all of the bugs had been cleared up.

I'm very happy to see Eclipse's progress and honestly I think that there should at least be a paypal donation link on the homepage or something for current Devs.  (unless there is a way to donate to them and i havent seen it yet, i only know that you can donate to marsh for the hosting and whatnot).

I also think that people on the forums deserve more praise and respect.  Especially those who compile huge lists of resources and tutorials and actually make them organized and good.  Its easy to find a tut or list on these forums.  It's hard to find 1 done right.

Ah… getting a bit off topic >_>

Basically... I completely agree... so many people are just ignorant and inconsiderate.  PRAISE BE TO HM!

...one last question in regards to the donations thing.... i'm assuming that the eclipse store died... (i never got a run-time error shirt *tear*)... so... did any1 ever buy one of the eclipse thongs? :p

~symph

@Zetta:

> 1 I believe. I still want to buy the huddie though.

i'd ask you why you knew this but i think it'd be best for everyone if i didn't :p

run-time error shirt > hoodie !!!
:p

I still think eclipse should have a store, but it has to actually have things that people would want to buy.

@MrMiguuâ„¢:

> The only date I ask for is when will people stop asking for dates on EE 3.0's release. Lol. I am fine with 2.7 and I love it. It is extremely stable and many people look down upon it since they are being fed minor previews of EE 3.0\. I think that 2.7 will always be in 3.0's shadow and most people will switch to 3.0\. I am one of the few who will not go crazy once it is released and not harass HM because it contains bugs (this is a fact). So I warn you HM, be prepared to be trampled by noobs saying "OMFG WTFUQZ? WHY BUG IN GAME MAKE ENGINE??!!111 ONE." I wish you the best of luck with that.

Well said… I remember when you were just a newbie! XD

@symphonia117:

> i'd ask you why you knew this but i think it'd be best for everyone if i didn't :p
>
> run-time error shirt > hoodie !!!
> :p
>
> I still think eclipse should have a store, but it has to actually have things that people would want to buy.

Like Admiral on a Mug!
Or
Me on a box of mcnuggets!
or finally
Panda Marsh on a T'shirt!

Very nicely said, Admiral. Like always.

I'm currently very busy. I wish I can take the time to learn more Java and help out.

Like I said before, I'm here for the Community not the Engine. Eclipse Staff are better than the engine.
They're also work better than the engine :P .

Sincerely,
Rithy

PS : Did you my joke? The "Dev Work" as like a job and the "Engine Work" as like a program running. Probably not a good joke but just thoght I gave it a try :P

Eclipse has the same problems that all of us indy programmers face.

We're ambitious. Oh, most of us have our heads screwed on right, but we're a bit silly, to say the least. I've been around for a long time. Far too long. I've seen games come and go. It's always down to the same reason. We're ambitious.

I'll take Eclipse as an example, only because it's the subject closest to home. Originally Eclipse was a small edit of another engine. Marsh split off from an older community, and started to build up this community. As Eclipse has gone on, I've seen many different people work on it, but they've all had the same ambitiousness. Rather than re-working the old systems to be faster and more powerful, they simply add more on top. When you start off with a sub-par base, such as Eclipse did, then it's like building your house on sand.

Now, I'm not saying Eclipse is badly programmed, but because people haven't taken any time to re-work the basics of the engine, it's future is severly hampered. When it comes to this, an indy programmer will start getting stressed out. It happens to the best of us. We become overwhelmed in our own switch statements (Ha-ha) and as we try harder and harder to simply get something to _work_, we start to ignore programming conversion and good programming practice.

This is where problems start to arise. As we build more and more features on top of the old ones, it suddenly becomes a lot harder to unravel the interdependent features and fix the fundamental problems. I know from personal experience that a situation like this can be very down heartening, at the best, and I've known more than enough people who've ended up quiting a project just for this reason.

Once this happens, the old program is seen as a mess. The programmer doesn't want to take the time to unravel the mess when, in their eyes, it'd be easier and better to simply start afresh. As they've come along through their programming experience, they've learn new things. You need to keep in mind that these people are indy developers. They do this in their spare time, and more often than not, have little to no programming background outside of the area they're working in. They start to make an engine, then they learn _new_ and _better_ ways to do things, and instead of re-working the older features to take advantage of these techniques, again, they find it easier to start afresh.

I call this the Unstoppable Development Wheel. (And to all the grammar twats out there, I'm allowed to capitilise that. Noun phrases are wonderful things.)

Just something I've noticed during my extensive time lurking around this area of the internet.

I wish you luck with your Java conversion, but if it _does_ get released, it's going to be a headache for all the members around here who used Eclipse to learn Visual Basic 6.0 as their first language. Procedural to Object Orientated is a hard thing to do.

Yours,
_Robin_