Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Project Vertigo Origins [ 1.1.4 – FINAL ] (2D Side-Scrolling ORPG Engine)

mrmiguu

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Miguu,

Any way that you can put in some of your features that you made scripts for back in the day?

Such as your save tiles, attack animations (using the spell slots), and even your sit feature? =]

Those would be lovely little features my good sir!

@AmSamurai:

> Hey Miguu,
>
> Any way that you can put in some of your features that you made scripts for back in the day?
>
> Such as your save tiles, attack animations (using the spell slots), and even your sit feature? =]
>
> Those would be lovely little features my good sir!

Sounds fair enough.

[Update]
Got the textbox buffer setup.

![](http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/Alexanderthegreat91/pv_update3.png)

The icon-thingy blinks to let you know where you're typing within the textbox and also to let you know that the focus is set to that textbox. The text fixes itself to display the most recently entered characters (only if it exceeds the width of the textbox frame). **Debugged** for the most part.

Also,

Miguu are you planning on making a spectacular "create a character" screen?? (such as the one from maple story)

I suppose being more specific it would include customizing your beginning sprite (which I know has been done before), but also some sort of viewer that allows you to view what your sprite will look like pieced together.

Another aspect would be where you could edit your stats or maybe have a feature to randomize your stats like maple story?

Any maybe finally, a way to input your character, once it is created, so that it appears when you select your character you play with. (And it would change according to what it looks like in game as you progress).

I believe I saw something along those lines in one of your old videos for lostica. Just wondering if you could apply that into your new engine as well?

Looks great MrMiguu :D (btw didn't know you played arua rose & other p-rose servers, I play titan rose as main however I stopped (not really, more a break) to have time for other games & my game wich I'm going to rebuild in your next engine.)

Oh, and you're really fooling people with your "coming soon" download link XD Some ppl will firstly only see "[Server + Client Source]: Project Vertigo (Renewal) Download Link" and click on it, looking back and thinking oh darn it's coming soon XD

Anyway you're really doing great job here, my members and I can't wait till the release, keep on the great work :D (Ofcourse I said I'll be using project vertigo from MrMiguu to give you credit)

@Coza, no worry, a lot eclipse users doesn't know VB6, I can only do the drag & drop part but not the script. I hadn't got time to learn it yet :( But sure want to learn it soon.
But yeah, seeing all great work and tutorials of members here I feel me noob too XD

@Darkpeople196:

> Mrmiguu ss our adored this even you are to be congratulated
> I look forward to you launching engine.

Thank you.

@AmSamurai:

> Also,
>
> Miguu are you planning on making a spectacular "create a character" screen?? (such as the one from maple story)
>
> I suppose being more specific it would include customizing your beginning sprite (which I know has been done before), but also some sort of viewer that allows you to view what your sprite will look like pieced together.
>
> Another aspect would be where you could edit your stats or maybe have a feature to randomize your stats like maple story?
>
> Any maybe finally, a way to input your character, once it is created, so that it appears when you select your character you play with. (And it would change according to what it looks like in game as you progress).
>
> I believe I saw something along those lines in one of your old videos for lostica. Just wondering if you could apply that into your new engine as well?

Yes. Those systems are easier to create in an 'all-DX' enviroment since you don't have to worry about cooperation of the VB6 IDE and the directX functionality. The character selection screen will display an updated version of your current characters (as well as the clothes they're wearing).

@hedgy:

> Looks great MrMiguu :D (btw didn't know you played arua rose & other p-rose servers, I play titan rose as main however I stopped (not really, more a break) to have time for other games & my game wich I'm going to rebuild in your next engine.)
>
> Oh, and you're really fooling people with your "coming soon" download link XD Some ppl will firstly only see "[Server + Client Source]: Project Vertigo (Renewal) Download Link" and click on it, looking back and thinking oh darn it's coming soon XD
>
> Anyway you're really doing great job here, my members and I can't wait till the release, keep on the great work :D (Ofcourse I said I'll be using project vertigo from MrMiguu to give you credit)
>
> @Coza, no worry, a lot eclipse users doesn't know VB6, I can only do the drag & drop part but not the script. I hadn't got time to learn it yet :( But sure want to learn it soon.
> But yeah, seeing all great work and tutorials of members here I feel me noob too XD

Thank you as well.

@Coza:

> I'm really excited to see what I can do with the VB6 Source :D
> Also could you still write me the Glide/Fly script thing :o?
>
> And keep up the great work.

When you're at my level, a "fly/glide" script is literally just a boolean check against any limit on double jump (inf. jump). I will not "make you a script" since I refuse to work with any of my old source code. You can easily attempt it as practice for when the new PV comes out (so you don't end up screwing up your own source).

And… thank you.

@Azyru:

> Looks great, can't wait!

I appreciate the compliments. The engine is still coming along fine. I have been working on it consistently in between boyfriend/school/karate/life.

[Update]
Finished the graphical texboxes (contain a limit on how many characters each one can hold). I have ascii control to prevent foreign keypresses from entering the textbox. Got the 'hit tab to alternate between textboxes' feature fairly complete (will become more refined once I start playing around with the screen_State feature (loads up specific screens like the main menu, the character creation screen, the actual game, and etc.).

![](http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/Alexanderthegreat91/pv_update4.png)

**[Update #2]**
Added password characters to disguise your password when entering it. Developers will be able to change the character to anything they please.

@MrMiguu:

> When you're at my level, a "fly/glide" script is literally just a boolean check against any limit on double jump (inf. jump). I will not "make you a script" since I refuse to work with any of my old source code. You can easily attempt it as practice for when the new PV comes out (so you don't end up screwing up your own source).
>
> And… thank you.
> I appreciate the compliments. The engine is still coming along fine. I have been working on it consistently in between boyfriend/school/karate/life.
>
> [Update]
> Finished the graphical texboxes (contain a limit on how many characters each one can hold). I have ascii control to prevent foreign keypresses from entering the textbox. Got the 'hit tab to alternate between textboxes' feature fairly complete (will become more refined once I start playing around with the screen_State feature (loads up specific screens like the main menu, the character creation screen, the actual game, and etc.).
>
> ![](http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/Alexanderthegreat91/pv_update4.png)
>
> **[Update #2]**
> Added password characters to disguise your password when entering it. Developers will be able to change the character to anything they please.

Looks like your also working hard as usual. It looks great, keeping coming and take your sweet time on it.

Please Miguu
Help me out here please D:
i've tried an awefull lot to get the pick up item on contact
and Kill/damage enemy with jump and normal attack but i cant get it to work.

I tried to find places where to use it.
I tried.

```
Sub CheckMapGetItem()
    Dim Buffer As New clsBuffer
    Set Buffer = New clsBuffer

If GetTickCount > Player(MyIndex).MapGetTimer + 250 Then
        If Trim$(MyText) = vbNullString Then
            Player(MyIndex).MapGetTimer = GetTickCount
            Buffer.WriteLong CMapGetItem
            SendData Buffer.ToArray()
        End If
    End If

Set Buffer = Nothing
End Sub
```
Then i thought it might be in here:
```
    HandlePlayerMove
```
But i found it wasnt in there either.

Please someone help D:

I think you're just going to get;

> I am not working on those engines any longer. I have stated in the later of my posts in the PV thread that I will cont. development with my own source code. The engine has not been released yet. You may watch for updates and use the other versions at your own risk. I will most likely not provide support for them (given the situation). I apologize for this inconvenience.

Sorry, I can't help. I have no knowledge of VB.

So, Miguu, any updates?

@Coza If you don't know what to do with the code below, don't even try installing it. I am showing you the basic checks i made to decide whether to just jump from the ground or bounce off an enemy.
```
Sub CheckJump()
    If CanGravity Then
        If Not Player(MyIndex).rGravity Then
            If Not Player(MyIndex).OnGround Then
                If gCheck + VELOCITY < GetTickCount Then
                    Call Gravity
                    gCheck = GetTickCount
                End If
            End If
        End If
    Else
        If Player(MyIndex).CanBounce Then
            If Player(MyIndex).OnGround = True And Player(MyIndex).yOffset = 0 Then
                Player(MyIndex).StartY = Player(MyIndex).y
                Player(MyIndex).rGravity = True
                Player(MyIndex).Inertia = INERTIA_JUMPING
                Call PlaySound("Stun.wav")
            End If
        ElseIf Player(MyIndex).CanSmash Then
                ' Attacking NPC by bouncing on it goes here
                Call SendData("attack" & SEP_CHAR & "FromTop" & END_CHAR)
            End If
        ElseIf Player(MyIndex).CanSpring Then
                Player(MyIndex).SpringOn = True
                Call PlaySound("Spring.wav")
            End If
        End If
    End If

' Main Jump Loop
    If CanJump Then
        If Player(MyIndex).rGravity Then
            If jCheck + VELOCITY < GetTickCount Then
                If Player(MyIndex).SpringOn Then
                    If Player(MyIndex).y > Player(MyIndex).StartY - 6 Then
                        Call Jump
                    Else
                        Player(MyIndex).rGravity = False
                        Player(MyIndex).SpringOn = False
                    End If
                Else
                    If Player(MyIndex).y > Player(MyIndex).StartY - 3 Then
                        Call Jump
                    Else
                    End If
                End If
                jCheck = GetTickCount
            End If
        End If
    Else
        If IsTryingToJump Then
            If Map(GetPlayerMap(MyIndex)).Tile(GetPlayerX(MyIndex), GetPlayerY(MyIndex) - 1).Type = TILE_TYPE_BLOCKED And (Map(GetPlayerMap(MyIndex)).Tile(GetPlayerX(MyIndex), GetPlayerY(MyIndex) + 1).Type = TILE_TYPE_BLOCKED Or Map(GetPlayerMap(MyIndex)).Tile(GetPlayerX(MyIndex), GetPlayerY(MyIndex) + 1).Type = TILE_TYPE_PLATFORM) Then
                Exit Sub
            Else
                If Player(MyIndex).CanSmash Then
                    ' Attacking NPC by bouncing on it goes here
                    'Call PlaySound("Kick.wav")
                    Call SendData("attack" & SEP_CHAR & "FromBottom" & END_CHAR)
                    Exit Sub
                End If
                Call PlaySound("Bump.wav")
                Exit Sub
            End If
        End If
        If Player(MyIndex).SpringOn Then
            Player(MyIndex).CanSpring = False
            Player(MyIndex).SpringOn = False
            Call PlaySound("Bump.wav")
        End If
    End If
End Sub
```
Item pickup when walking over it is mostly server sided. You need to add the item pickup line in the _PlayerMove_ sub module.

@Pikachu The only update I really made Friday was optimizing my rendering code to work better for the screen_State system. This tells the D3D to render only main menu textures when the screen_State is set to equal state_MainMenu and so on.

I Know i must be the biggest pain in the ass right now but.
is this the code i add to PlayerMove?
```
                            If Item(GetPlayerInvItemNum(Index, n)).Type = ITEM_TYPE_CURRENCY Or Item(GetPlayerInvItemNum(Index, n)).Stackable = 1 Then
                                Call SetPlayerInvItemValue(Index, n, GetPlayerInvItemValue(Index, n) + MapItem(MapNum, i).Value)
                                Msg = "You pickup " & MapItem(MapNum, i).Value & " " & Trim$(Item(GetPlayerInvItemNum(Index, n)).Name) & "."
                            Else
                                Call SetPlayerInvItemValue(Index, n, 0)
                                Msg = "You pickup " & Trim$(Item(GetPlayerInvItemNum(Index, n)).Name) & "."
                            End If
```
And is there anything else if so?

@Coza Please just use my Super Mario Dungeon source for assistance. It will help you out so much. Trust me. It will literally be able to answer all of your questions. That's why I have it up for the public to use. I have both features of what you're looking to use in it.