Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse - Event System

jcsnider

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your method to make NPC's stop moving and face you when talking didnt work for me :(

can you make some kind of option so npcs when you hit ctrl to talk they stop and look at you? making it global could work so if someone hits ctrl the npcs looks at them too maybe?

I guess you could make some npcs stand still too but the option would be nice :)

Is there someway to merge this mod: http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf2/index.php/topic,70502.0.html

with your mod? Making the quest start rely on the event, not an actual NPC? Maybe a *Quest Start* Command? Could you maybe tell me how to do this, or give me a hint? It would be really helpful. I could just take a look at the quest system and find the quest start thing. But how would I go about implementing it into the event system?

How did you implement it in the event system?! I'm sort of a beginner at code. I mean, I could find out the function for starting the quest, but… PM me? I'm gonna look into the code. Might find out how to do it. >.> I have to make a new event type that starts a quest. :P Pretty simple really. But I still could use some help. XD I would really have no idea how to end the quest. I have a vague idea of how to make the event check if the task is done. But how would I modify this:

```
If CanStartQuest(attacker, NPC(npcNum).QuestNum) Then
                                    'if can start show the request message (speech1)
                                    QuestMessage attacker, NPC(npcNum).QuestNum, Trim$(Quest(NPC(npcNum).QuestNum).Speech(1)), NPC(npcNum).QuestNum
                                    Exit Function
                                End If
                                If QuestInProgress(attacker, NPC(npcNum).QuestNum) Then
                                    'if the quest is in progress show the meanwhile message (speech2)
                                    QuestMessage attacker, NPC(npcNum).QuestNum, Trim$(Quest(NPC(npcNum).QuestNum).Speech(2)), 0
```to fit the event system? Would I make it check, and then use a showtext command?

I also need to download the FRM for quest editing and take a look at the code which Identifies the NPC to start the quest. daxterxx, could you help me out? XD

Theres a so much easier way than that. Ill give you a hint. It involves the event system variables and some custom coding.

This is not the place to discuss merging the Event system with Alatar's quest system, it would be better placed in source questions.. It is possible however, if someone wants to make a tutorial for it many would appreciate it XD

My focus is development. I am not planning on any tutorials to release, if someone wants to, it isn't hard. However, once my DX8 nightly is released, there will be no point in adding the changes into your source, the edits will simply be too vast.

Honestly I think the move to DX8 will only damage eclipse. People who can't code like myself have the luck to have dynamic sprites and whatever else in eclipse to make games and have fun, with how DX8 handles textures only limits us even more.

an example is how textures have to be say 512x512 or whatever, what if sprites are larger or smaller, making it as dynamic as they can be now could be difficult indeed.

All for what? Some silly effects? Transparent chat box?

Or you can get off your lazy ass and do something, the DD7 version will still be around if you need it. ;]

And the engine has been pretty stagnant for ages in terms advacement. I'd rather see this move so we can get with the times a little over staying in the background.

What's that? People still trying to imitate the social 'elite' of engine makers to try and elevate themselves above others? Good job ;)

If you want to see the engine move on then the only future is a port to another language since VB is out dated and as we all know and eventually support will drop for sure.

So stop being so childish just because someone posts a logical and genuine concern about ease of use for all users and grow up. Thank you.

@Aydan:

> What's that? People still trying to imitate the social 'elite' of engine makers to try and elevate themselves above others? Good job ;)
>
> If you want to see the engine move on then the only future is a port to another language since VB is out dated and as we all know and eventually support will drop for sure.
>
> So stop being so childish just because someone posts a logical and genuine concern about ease of use for all users and grow up. Thank you.

VB6 has been confirmed to still have (limited but still there) support for the life of Windows 8\. So we got some time :) . I'd link you but I forget where I read it from. I kind of agree with you on the DX8 issue though, I'll probably be sticking with the DX version we have now as well. Although I don't think having Two versions of an engine will be that big of a deal.

I wouldn't consider this move a stepping stone, but I do feel it's SOMETHING in a good direction. Kinda like tablets.

Aydan, I believe you misunderstood something there, calling me elite.

But anyway, why should we have to keep something stagnant if people may not understand it? Most of these spur of the moment kids never even bother to learn crap and leave within days because they don't see instant results or can't get people to do their crap for them. These people will remain the same, and then there's the people with a real drive to learn and try, that will grab whatever there is by the horns and try to succeed in it, these too will remain the same.

And then there's the lazy bunch never willing to improve, which will just complain more. I for one welcome a change into a new direction, and consider your concern lazy, if not redicilous. Catering to the idiots is a good idea if it's a source of income, on an open source engine this is generally NOT the way to go, because it is commonly expected that you write most of it yourself anyway, or get someone to help you with it.

Not to mention, as I said. If it's THAT much of a problem to use D3D8, the DD7 version is still around and it can still be edited, that won't change. So why is it such a big issue because you and a few others may not like it? Imagine if the guy that invented the computer stopped doing it because "People wouldn't understand", which of course is something on a much larger scale and has a higher impact, but it's just as redicilous.

Aherm, so in essence: Don't be an idiot and keep progress at a halt to cater to people unwilling to learn. (They can always grab an easier version if they so desire, hell even now people use EE because of the scripting)

EDIT: As for your graphical bull, since most of us use RMXP formatted stuff, it's either 64*64, 32*32 or 32*64 anyway. So it remains in powers of two, thus works fine with dynamic sizes. You're probably misunderstanding how this works.

Your graphics will still simply remain as they are now, and the sprite sets are cut in four both horizontal and vertical, this size will be your rendering surface. So tadaa, dynamic sprite sizes. Which works the same as it does now, except D3D8 assigns a surface to it, whereas DD7 simply draws it onto a bitmap buffer.