Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse - Event System

jcsnider

I was sitting behind my PC, fapping, when I suddenly get the urge to visit the ToD forums. While I was fapping to the forums - as usual - I saw this event system of yours. I started masturbating more furiously and I eventually came buckets when seeing the screen shots.

10/10 would do it again

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Stein:

> Aydan, I believe you misunderstood something there, calling me elite.
>
> But anyway, why should we have to keep something stagnant if people may not understand it? Most of these spur of the moment kids never even bother to learn crap and leave within days because they don't see instant results or can't get people to do their crap for them. These people will remain the same, and then there's the people with a real drive to learn and try, that will grab whatever there is by the horns and try to succeed in it, these too will remain the same.
>
> And then there's the lazy bunch never willing to improve, which will just complain more. I for one welcome a change into a new direction, and consider your concern lazy, if not redicilous. Catering to the idiots is a good idea if it's a source of income, on an open source engine this is generally NOT the way to go, because it is commonly expected that you write most of it yourself anyway, or get someone to help you with it.
>
> Not to mention, as I said. If it's THAT much of a problem to use D3D8, the DD7 version is still around and it can still be edited, that won't change. So why is it such a big issue because you and a few others may not like it? Imagine if the guy that invented the computer stopped doing it because "People wouldn't understand", which of course is something on a much larger scale and has a higher impact, but it's just as redicilous.
>
> Also it's nothing to do with graphics bull. Not all sprites and formats are pefect 32x32 or 32x64 variations and making them fit correctly into a limited texture size is still a possible issue. So no my friend, it is not bull at all.
>
> Now, jog on, this place doesn't need people like you.
>
> Aherm, so in essence: Don't be an idiot and keep progress at a halt to cater to people unwilling to learn. (They can always grab an easier version if they so desire, hell even now people use EE because of the scripting)
>
> EDIT: As for your graphical bull, since most of us use RMXP formatted stuff, it's either 64*64, 32*32 or 32*64 anyway. So it remains in powers of two, thus works fine with dynamic sizes. You're probably misunderstanding how this works.
>
> Your graphics will still simply remain as they are now, and the sprite sets are cut in four both horizontal and vertical, this size will be your rendering surface. So tadaa, dynamic sprite sizes. Which works the same as it does now, except D3D8 assigns a surface to it, whereas DD7 simply draws it onto a bitmap buffer.

The issue is your attitude. Just because some people are hobbyists and want to just have ease of use, an option to have any type of resource usable is not lazy. It's convenience. Your argument and logic is flawed and your attitude is very wrong.

My arguement is nothing to do with lazyness. The trade off of better graphics options/effects VS wider options for resources once again proves it. You're talking the none sense here my friend.

How is D3D8 harder to use? You can even do it easier because you no longer need to convert tilesets with alphablending over and keep them the way they are, same for sprites. Do explain to me how DD7 means you have a wider range of assets available, I do believe I covered that part? Nothing changes in that regard, and you do not need to adjust your graphics from the current ones you have, aside from selecting and deleting a backdrop. Hoodle dee doo, how difficult.

Even I as a nine year old brat could figure that crap out out the time, being a hobbyist does not equal being bad at something or being unable to adjust to a minor difference such as alphablending, which is basically the only thing that really changes for the Average Joe user of the engine.

It's not alpha-blending it's just things in general. It's open ended, both have positives and negatives. Adding silly things such as day and night is the last thing a source engine needs anyway.

The other fact is that if people can't even get DX7 to work or just barely then doing 8 will only further alienate what beginner/n00by programmers there are already.

anyways your attitude is tiring and lets not get off topic or into a silly form of flame or 'argument' over an obsolete engine in an obsolete language.

![](http://clutch.mtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/nyc-earthquake.gif)

I would personally say the positives far outweigh the negatives. Most people here never bother learning and just copy/paste from the few that did anyway. And it's hardly that much harder, it's a few different commands to use really. And again, if they so desire EOv2 will not dissapear, it's still there for download and people can use it to their hearts content.

And obsolete? Visual Basic 6 is still commonly used for stuff that needs to be developped rapidly, or for basic work that simply doesn't require all the fancy crap deeper languages need. It is even supported through the lifetime of Windows 8, because Microsoft damn well knows their .NET Framework sucks donkey stick. The engine on the other hand, is a funny story. I am promoting the idea of getting it with the time a little, and you're against it yet calling it obsolete instead of trying to improve it. Your logic is flawless there sir.

As for a more personal response to your childish picture and constant need to rip on my attitude, I too will lower myself to a similar level.

Your mom.

(In all seriousness, I want you in my bed right now.)

Now in actual seriousness. Have you ever considered I may not be English and thus translating this from my own? While I may be decent at English I do tend to translate things rather literal and as short as I can to avoid a lot of terribad crap. Which, at times makes it come off quite rude. Just because you interpret it as rude does not mean it is actually intended as such, tone of voice is hard to convey over text after all.

I'm not a developer, it's not my job to improve the source. I don't even use it. So no, no logic is flawed there. You have an attitude and you are boring me. Just drop it and let the thread carry on back to normal.

Using a picture to simply put across you're attitude towards me is on a totally different level to bringing a personal family member who has nothing to do with this in isn't it. Well done.

Stop making excuses and just be quiet. Let JC update this thread with his work as he goes along. I'm not interested in continuing this back and forth banter.

Why? Because you're missing my point I should stop? You're saying the engine is obsolete, but don't want to see it improved? Now there's what I meant. Being a developper or not doesn't mean shit when it comes to common sense, and thinking about the future of a program.

Never said I don't want to see it improved. Whether DX upgrades are an improvement (In this engine context) is better or not is a point of view.

How does being a developer not make a difference in the future of a program? It's not my program to care for about the future. So once again it DOES mean 'shit' about common sense as your very arguments keep getting reversed due to the flaws in what you say.

Because if you plan to use this for even a hobby, or christ knows what the future of the engine would still be important. Will it get updated, will it be improved, will it support more modern features in the near future? Those are just a few things I always wonder about when I find anything to play with, even if it's a piece of hardware, in which case I generally wonder about the drivers.

And explain to me how upgrading the graphical engine away from DirectDraw is not an improvement? D3D8 is much more flexible and allows a LOT more than DirectDraw does in regards to graphical capabilities.

Of course updates are a good thing, hell this event system is a perfect example of this engine jumping leaps and bounds :)

However there are pro's and con's with the graphics engine upgrade. You know this as well as I do. Just because I think it's a bad thing and you don't you jump into the 'lazy' 'brat' 'idiot' 'your mom' mode. Congratulations, someone has a different point of view to you and you jump in with both feet with a stinking attitude and talking down to me. Well done ;)

Because most people have had that opinion for ages, and that is also the main reason we have been stuck with DD for christ knows how long on Mirage engines. Hardly anyone cared to learn something new, so we stuck with what we knew and fell behind massively. Well done people. *applauds slowly*

Easy boys. There is no need to get off topic. We know that this kind of threads gets a lots of replys in short time, and your whole discussion is pointless for anyone who is interested in searching new updates or feedback this version of the engine. It's going to be DDX8, it has been decided. That's all :P
If you two want to argue about DD7-8 why don't you create a topic in the 'Debate' section?

@Aydan:

> Of course updates are a good thing, hell this event system is a perfect example of this engine jumping leaps and bounds :)
>
> However there are pro's and con's with the graphics engine upgrade. You know this as well as I do. Just because I think it's a bad thing and you don't you jump into the 'lazy' 'brat' 'idiot' 'your mom' mode. Congratulations, someone has a different point of view to you and you jump in with both feet with a stinking attitude and talking down to me. Well done ;)

tru dat sais gooby

I find D3D8 to be easier then DD7 to use, but that may just be me.

Also Jc, are you using any specific guides to learn how to use DX8 to the fullest?

Rose/Wing, or what ever his name is on the forums these days showed me this: http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?lngWId=1&txtCodeId=14218
Which i have been using to get me started on the path to getting my own working Dx8 graphics system for my mirage project, Just wondering if you found anything useful.

Ok, the whole point in this argument, really is DX8 vs DX7 and Stein's attitude. So let me begin by saying that both of you should actually read through my nightly topic…

First, the whole point in my version of DX8 is that it REMOVES the texture constraints that CSDE has because it converts them for you "IN MEMORY" as in it does it for you when the game starts and you never even notice. Because of this, it keeps track of the initial image size and dynamic sprites work the SAME EXACT was as before. The rendering methods are extremely close to the same and can easily be learned, there are a few extra parameters for width/height and a color which you simply put -1\.

Now, for the pros. This version is going to allow png support. Smaller file sizes, real transparency, alpha blending, etc... Not to mention smaller image sizes.

And the cons, it appears huge tilesets should be split up a little. (Which they should anyway.) For those who cannot, I am going to include a program that does it for you. I am also going to include a program that will convert all of your graphics to .png and make them transparent so you do not have to worry about it. (Easy Setup on the only part that might be difficult).  Secondly, there may be slight performance decreases in very old computers... whoops.

In conclusion... it is being released as a Nightly simply because I want to see if it works out. If not, I have no problem storing it for later and moving on. And not only will it give shiny effects, it will be good for cutscenes and such for the event editor because of the ability to fade, flash, etc...

I've just downloaded and tested it for a few minutes and looks promising :D
I have to say that I've got the music-path-name-too-long error and I've found this weird transition on map-warping. I've made a gif as it's more easy to explain what I've just seen:

>! ![](http://i50.tinypic.com/10sgqoi.gif)

@Alatar:

> I've just downloaded and tested it for a few minutes and looks promising :D
> I have to say that I've got the music-path-name-too-long error and I've found this weird transition on map-warping. I've made a gif as it's more easy to explain what I've just seen:
>
> >! ![](http://i50.tinypic.com/10sgqoi.gif)

O.O

Well, it is a loading glitch… not really sure why it occurred... looks like a partial packet or maybe loading from file and then requesting the map. Not sure but I will look into it. Thanks for the report. As for the sound, I will be adding in a new system into one of my nightlies so it will not matter soon.