Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Project Vertigo Origins [ 1.1.4 – FINAL ] (2D Side-Scrolling ORPG Engine)

mrmiguu

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in the process of setting up my own. I'd like to have a BigBang version (so my stubborn friend could play), but for now I am using v83\. It works just fine. I'm trying to add custom NPCs to sell 1 meso scrolls and equips so people can grind on a low rate server with epic damage.

[As for PV…]

I am working on an engine from scratch. So far so good. I don't want to keep converting Robin's releases. It's a pain. I will still use the tile-based mapping system that Eclipse has always used, but this time it will be made in the form of side-scrollers. I got a rough version of client to server winsock communication working. I am pleased with how it all turned out.

Tomorrow I am going to finish up my packet's buffer structure and debug the rest of the winsock module. I also want to dip my feet into object oriented gameplay (I know it sounds stupid, but the conversion to DX7 will be easy). I really want to get to working on a system of interpolation where as few packets as possible are sent to the server without overloading it with pixel coordinates and etc.

@MrMiguu:

> If I figure out the interpolation deal soon I might just throw it into the new EO and release it.
>
> So in other words, not entirely "no"

Most of the changes in the new EO are easily ripped. The change log is so daunting because of the amount of bugs I've fixed, but they're mostly just 1-line fixes. The main thing is just ripping out the new socket handlers and packet senders/receivers. Maybe the character sprite code as well, as I fixed the entire sprite sheet showing.

You don't need to keep using my releases if you don't want. You know enough to update your own source code and EO will always be there for you to rip stuff from.

@Robin:

> You don't need to keep using my releases if you don't want. You know enough to update your own source code and EO will always be there for you to rip stuff from.

I loled at this, Robin.

Thank you. I really appreciate the help you've given me over the past months.

I won't directly rip anything (it's hard to even comprehend some of the things you've done in the source). I would rather look at what you've done and try my own spin on it (even if my "spin" is not as well done).

[Update]
(This is based on the new source)

I managed to completely debug and get the packet system working. I have cleaned up alot of code today and finished making the client's socket source in synch with the server's socket source. Tested and **approved**!

Picture (down below):
![](http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/Alexanderthegreat91/pv_update1.png)

@MrMiguu:

> [Update]
> (This is based on the new source)
>
> I managed to completely debug and get the packet system working. I have cleaned up alot of code today and finished making the client's socket source in synch with the server's socket source. Tested and **approved**!
>
> Picture (down below):
> ![](http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/Alexanderthegreat91/pv_update1.png)

I know this is off-topic, but i couldnt help but seeing RO and dragonica on your pc. Maybe ill join intense RO too! xD

The engine will have some qualities similar to that of Eclipse (I'm trying to stray away from the psuedo-code and coding habits). I will try to incorporate an external map editor so fullscreen can take full effect. I only want 1 form for the entire client's project file (as well as the server's project file). This will be fresh source code; something different from every other Mirage based engine (hopefully in the good ways). I will post another update prob by the end of today.

[UPDATE]
```
- Reduced the packet structure from: "[Index Length][Index][Header Length][Header][Content]"
to: "[Header][Content]"
- Added a main loop for both the server and client
- Constructed ON and OFF power switches for both the server and client
- Added a task bar at the top of the server window to select 'File' or 'Edit'

```