Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse Origins v2 Beta

Robin

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a test of Robins Eclipse Origins 2D game engine. I have rebuilt 9 maps into one scrolling map. I have also created two paper doll items, a red sword and a red cloak. You will also notice two dragons fighting and these are 288x244 sized sprites. I am also testing the resources and the inventory/ bank.

Thanks Robin for the great engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idGI8yCMOI4

@Bloodmyst:

> nice Ambard. thsoe are awesome graphics on your game were they custom made?

Ambardia is about 80% custom and 15% Reiner and 5% other.

@Helladen:

> No offense Ambard. That's a good percent, but why not go all the way if your only short a little?

Because we have over 1000 maps, almost as many items and hundreds of sprites to switch over. It takes time.

> set up this 288x224 pixel monster with 12 frame movement.

> You will also notice two dragons fighting

Does that mean in new EO v we can set movement frame number or probably even atack frames(would be omg)? Or its your own EO source modifications?

@Hugo:

> Now I'm totally lost.
> Robin says he can not move the maps of the current version of eclipse for the new origins.
> Tylian says it will be possible.
>
> Now I'm in doubt.

Tylian says he can program a converter for it.
Robin says they're not compatible without a converter (and he's not going to write a converter?).

So chances are, a converter will eventually be written, that will convert the maps from one version, to the next.

Making a converter is not too hard actually. It's just moving around data.

As for the question:
The older versions of Eclipse (Stable/Evolution) are not compatible with Origins. Origins is a complete rewrite. A converter could be made but you'd lose lots of map data (maybe 10% - 25% kept) and it would be easier to remap in Origins because it has Dynamic maps.

Origins (current version, v1.1.0) will not be compatible with the next release. However, the maps will probably not be changed as much, so a good amount of data (perhaps 75% - 90%) will be able to be converted. Tylian wants to write a converter for this.

> because it has Dynamic maps

It could handle them yes. But it's currently not coded to do so.
But I think that's just a matter of time.

EDIT/PS:
I mean, you don't have to change a lot of code, but basicly, the binarys aren't coded to have dynamic maps.

It's easy to make a converter. Converting from 1.1.0 (Current Release) to the next release is possible, with some data loss.

Converting from old versions of Eclipse is again very easy, but the benefits of it are minimal. You'll end up with large swathes of your map completely missing simply because there aren't features in Origins which there are in Stable.

This isn't a simple problem like converting from one version of old Eclipse to another. Origins is a _re-write_. It's like asking me to convert Counter Strike maps into Origins' format.