Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse Origins v2 Beta

Robin

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious, but why do VX tiles require Alpha Blending?

The bigest problem I see is that there format is completely different
Normal XP
{x}{x}{x}
{x}{x}{x}
{x}{x}{x}
{x}{x}{x}

VX
{x}{x}
{x}{x}
{x}{x}

Im not sure how the autotile system in orgins works and how dynamic it is, so 'I really dont know if this will be a problem

@Kinjiru:

> Just curious, but why do VX tiles require Alpha Blending?
> The bigest problem I see is that there format is completely different

No, the biggest problem is alpha blending. The VX tilesets are absolutely filled with alpha channels. To render them properly, you need a graphics engine which can render them properly. I know, I've used them myself before.

![](http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/6974/tilesl.png)

@Kinjiru:

> Ah, well how would orgins handle the different format?

Changing the player rendering procedure to handle different formats is piss easy compared to old versions of Eclipse. Simply change 2 values and it'll be done.

@Kinjiru:

> Oh wow thats really simple, I expected it to be much harder than that, would it be hard for it to handle formats dynamically? Or at least add an option so you could handle both?

-shrug- You'll have to find something which would allow the engine to differentiate between the formats. As the size is already dynamic, I'd say it's fairly impossible.

@Robin:

> @Kinjiru:
>
> > Oh wow thats really simple, I expected it to be much harder than that, would it be hard for it to handle formats dynamically? Or at least add an option so you could handle both?
>
> -shrug- You'll have to find something which would allow the engine to differentiate between the formats. As the size is already dynamic, I'd say it's fairly impossible.

Ah I see, one last question, Do the auto tiles each need to be on separate sheets, or do they all go on one big sheet like in rpg maker?

@Robin:

> Oh, but if you want animated autotiles, they need to be in their own file. If you have 4 autotiles next to each other in the same file, it'll animate between them.

Awesome!
Thanks robin, cant wait to play with autotiles now

Is 60 x 45 to big for a scrolling map?
If so what is the maximum sized recommended?

It there a limit to how many tile sheets you should have?(I currently have 16)

@Ambard:

> Is 60 x 45 to big for a scrolling map?
> If so what is the maximum sized recommended?
>
>   It there a limit to how many tile sheets you should have?(I currently have 16)

Max size for map is 255x255.

Tilesets are automatically detected and loaded. You can have as many as you want.

Awsome! Be prepared for epic-ness, lol.
I played around with some of my custom 3d models and set up this 288x224 pixel monster with 12 frame movement.

The resources are fantastic.

However the shop feature is very limited as far as playability goes. Resources will never be enjoyable and they will be shunned if you can't take your resources to the shop and sell all that's in your inventory at one time. To have to click the sell option then double click the item to sell one at a time is pretty laborious.

Maybe the engine could detect duplicates and ask how many you want to sell.

@Ambard:

> Awsome! Be prepared for epic-ness, lol.
> I played around with some of my custom 3d models and set up this 288x224 pixel monster with 12 frame movement.

Looks Awesome!
Oh and map size dosent affect lag, Im sure your glad to hear