Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My 24-Hour Challenge

The New World

**24-Hour Challenge**

I figured, since Robin did it, why can't I? It's a nice concept, get a game out as quickly as possible and work the kinks out after. Although, Robin in his challenge implemented some hefty features, well instead of doing edit-wise features, I'll be thinking up and trying to implement game-specific features of my own. Hope you all enjoy it. I'll be posting my progress here until the game is actually ready for playable release.

Of course this won't be ready 24 hours from now, I will be spending 24 hours of time developing the game.

The engine I'll be using is CS:DE since it seems to be the new defacto engine for a lot of Eclipse users now a days, and it also saves me the trouble of having to write the auto-tiling system, and gives me full control of DX8(:

I hope Robin doesn't mind, I'll be borrowing his log format.

**[Livestream](http://www.livestream.com/roseswork)**

**_Day 1 - 11:40 AM_**
I've officially started the challenge :O !

**_Day 1 - 12:10 AM_**
Just got he graphics I'm use, and figured out how to split sprites in photoshop xD !

**_Day 1 - 12:19 AM_**
Done splitting the sprites I need, and have all the resources I need gathered, just finished the front end of map instancing. :D

**_Day 1 - 12:50 AM_**
Map instancing completely done, even added a nifty party warp(:

**_Day 1 - 2:00 AM_**
Well shit, spent more time than I should making the tiers, testing, and made the sprite quit doing the moonwalk constantly. :D Moving along .. might sleep soon. Doubt it.

**_Day 1 - 2:39 AM_**
Got tiers going, level up check, gives new skills, skilled tiers added, party warp added, scripting some of the skills and moving forward to mapping the dungeons and making the "special" boss fights. :D

**_Day 1 - 3:00 AM_**
Stopping for the night, so in about 3 hours I converted the sprite format to RMVX, downloaded, removed background color, and resized all the graphics I want/need, made level tiers, gain new skill on tier upgrade, map instancing, made classes, and started converting autotiles to RMVX, a progressive 3 hours.

**_Day 2 - ?:?? AM_**
So .. I didn't really log the time for this one, but it's been about 7 hours of development. Map instancing fully works, tiered skills per tier-upgrade now work, got the class names down for now, have plans for future fix ups, added in some nifty boss logic and am ready to start some actual content development, coding wise, I still have the trade system, side-by-side equipment hover, and fullscreen to add in.

**_Day 2 - 1:00AM_**
Welp, got some new concepts thought up, still thinking of a game name, gotta implement trading, banking, and shopping still, work on some items, find a host, etc. Getting down and dirty now! Also, full screen working with proper mouse position conversion scaling thanks to a reminder from jcsnider. Time to finally blow the dust back off of my eclipse knowledge.

**_Day 3 - 12:00AM_**
Literally all I did today spent a half hour making autotiles work in RMXP format xD !

**_Day 4 - 1:40AM_** - _~8-10 Hours left_
Didn't do too much today, a little bit of boss logic and half ass added scripted spells, going to work more on the spells and mapping tomorrow. Still so many hours left. xD My left eye hurts. x.x

**_Day 5 - 4:20AM_**
I added in the front end of the trade system, and have begun writing a new feature dealing with the tier upgrades that should add some interesting challenge, after this I need to add in game content and release!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So my current todo list consists of …

Map Dungeons, create items, create crafting, finish boss logic, find animations, icons for items and spells, possibly redo at least some of the interface, side-by-side equipment comparisons, implement trading, whether I have time to render it or just make it work again, script some of the skills such as pickpocket, and least of all, implement a rebirth system, as well as make a name for the game.

So far what I have done is ripped out class selection, now you automatically start off as a Soul, every 10 levels or a "tier" you are prompted to choose your next class which grants you a new skill of that class type, with the master hierarchy being the generic "Warrior," "Magician," and, "Rogue." Map instancing is also working, as well as the boss logic, and scripted skills, just have to add the logic in for what requires it.

I might also add Buff and Debuff notifications if they don't exist already. Also as I said, I need a name for the game, anyone who can give a name we all like, gets a special treat in the game. Also a warning to all you Souls, one of the first bosses is a foul, despicable, pecking(?) o.O, beast of mass destruction who has been known throughout games to be a force to be reckoned with by even the mightiest of heroes.