Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What keeps you going with Eclipse?

Zetasis

I consider Eclipse more of a tool to get you into the field. It really is not suitable for anything extremely serious. I quit using it awhile back, but it was great for getting familiar with engine infrastructure. Although, it does a lot of things wrong/poor, so you should not base the core design of an engine on it ever.

Because it was Eclipse that got me into programming. I've been working on my game for 5 years and because I've been using Eclipse engines, I'm attached to Eclipse ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png)

I came here about 5 years ago, I wasn't using computers too much. Only to go my Bebo, that long ago. Lenton introduce me to this forum and the engine. I really liked it, was simple to use a rewarding when you done things like put tiles down on your game. I would say this lasted about a year and a half, thinking I was going to be a big time developer. It feels childish now but it was so exciting for me to think what I can do with this engine.

After that year and a half period of using I started to get bored of the whole concept, I felt like I was so limited because I couldn't get the programming software. This was also back in the day before I knew what torrents were. This made me look for other alternatives. Lenton showed me HTML, this looked interesting. I didn't have to download anything and I could make stuff on the web. This interested me far more then game development did. I've been doing it ever since and I am a freelance web developer so now I have made this hobby into my job.

I'm still lurking in the community because I really like the people on here. You get a diverse group of people with different backgrounds with one thing in common, one time or another we had an interest in developing in this engine.

I like using Eclipse because it's fun to create something. It's always satisfying seeing a map with your own custom graphics finished, (although pixel art is still an art so map's are technically never finished finished.)

I've had a few mates just hop on and try the game I'm working on and all of them really found the default controls very difficult to use. Both complained that using cntr; and wasd was difficult while managing the mouse at the same time. It would be cool to make the controls a little easier, like say spacebar for attack or e.

But yeah even if not many people end up playing my game once I finish it, it will still have been completely worth it just because of all the fun there is creating something unique and learning skills along the way ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png)

I've known eclipse for 5+ years, used it, and gave up after my first 2 months of useing it.

A year ago i decided to try and use it again, and i am useing it to this day!

I've recently fallen in love with the eclipse community, and and SOO HAPPY that the old mods and admins are gone, they were ***** pricks and assholes who thought they could just boss people around and ban the inexpirenced.

I've been banned 2 times in my eclipse history, once for posting a link in the chat box…. (i guess i deserved that one) and i've been banned for A ducking month just because i necro posted 3 topics, WTF!

The current comunity is great, espesially with Agoraphobic as a mod, hes so kind :3

Im glad Robin doesnt come around, he was a prick (no offence robin but you were), he never posted kind things, and only insulted people and their projectes as though he was a god, just because he "made" eclipse....

Other mods wouldn't give constructive critisim, they just supported trolls....

Off the rant... all in all, i love the ability eclipse gives to people who dont know code or are in the process of learning and and currently has a very nice community that will be willing to help you out ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png)

> I've known eclipse for 5+ years, used it, and gave up after my first 2 months of useing it.
>
> A year ago i decided to try and use it again, and i am useing it to this day!
>
> I've recently fallen in love with the eclipse community, and and SOO HAPPY that the old mods and admins are gone, they were ***** pricks and assholes who thought they could just boss people around and ban the inexpirenced.
>
> I've been banned 2 times in my eclipse history, once for posting a link in the chat box…. (i guess i deserved that one) and i've been banned for A ducking month just because i necro posted 3 topics, WTF!
>
> The current comunity is great, espesially with Agoraphobic as a mod, hes so kind :3
>
> Im glad Robin doesnt come around, he was a prick (no offence robin but you were), he never posted kind things, and only insulted people and their projectes as though he was a god, just because he "made" eclipse....
>
> Other mods wouldn't give constructive critisim, they just supported trolls....
>
> Off the rant... all in all, i love the ability eclipse gives to people who dont know code or are in the process of learning and and currently has a very nice community that will be willing to help you out ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png)

Robin was a pretty straight forward guy, the feedback he gave back was 9/10 on the spot.

As for the older moderators and administrators, I can't really comment too much about them, as I wasn't present during their reign; I do think Spork is a pretty cool guy though.