Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What keeps you going with Eclipse?

Zetasis

So I haven't really messed with an Eclipse engine in awhile because I'm no programmer and from what I can tell it, even if I could program, it would be incredibly difficult to create a game that looks, feels, and plays nice.

I'll explain what I mean, Looks - Successful games have appealing visuals and sadly most Eclipse games don't. No one likes watching two sprites walking in place at each other and trying to think of it as "fighting". Now I have seen games that have attack frames but even then after a short while seeing the same attack frame gets repetitive. I would love to see a game with attack frames that fit the moment, like say your opponent is a tile higher then you, shouldn't your sprite swing higher when attacking? Yes but wait you can't because in Eclipse you can only attack something if it is directly in front of you. Now there are many other areas that could use some improving as well like taking damage and spell casting frames but I think I got my point across.

Feels - I won't go to much onto this because I have seen some Eclipse games that get pretty in depth as far as storyline goes but features are something most lack. In successful games there are themes and story lines as well as features that generally flow with the set theme and story. Now the problem that I see with most Eclipse games is all the features are always the same. I understand that there are features the most ORPGs have but how come we never see features like mounts? Thats even a basic feature in MMOs these days. Or how bout say if your a warrior and you gain a level with less then 20% HP you have a 5% chance of gaining +1 to Str <~~ Off the top of my head don't ask.

Plays - Now this is the most important part to me. Eclipse is known for being buggy and lag. I have yet to see an Eclipse game where the other players sprites didn't jump around while moving across the map often enough to get irritating after so long let alone those strange instances when the sever is trying to warp your character to another map and it seems like the server can't make up its mind on where to put you. Also, the UI… It could be better and its getting there. The system of using the arrow keys to move and Ctrl to attack then trying to get to the mouse to switch tabs or use a potion was horrid. I would complain about the AI as well but Rob, IMO, has improved the NPC path AI to an acceptable standard for me but don't get me wrong, the NPC AI could be better.

Now Keep in mind that its late and I'm a little sleep deprived so some of this may not make much sense but I'm sure you can get the point of my rambling. I've been here at Eclipse for a few years now and I used to be really into working on games but the more I learned about game design and the more I worked on games with Eclipse I started to come to the realization that it is going to be extremely difficult to produce a game that is going to attract a decent fan base out side of the Eclipse community. And on top of that, most games here that get a small fan base of the community only have that fan base for a short while then their off to developing their own game thats essentially the same game.

So, please, tell me what keeps you going with Eclipse because I really want to get back into using the engine again. Like I said, I haven't touched the engine in a while now and I've been making an actual game with RPG Maker VXAce and would like to create an online side story version but Eclipse is just lacking what I need and it seems like it always will.

> Well that is definitely a plus for Eclipse. I guess I just loose motivation when I start to think about how hard it is to get a decent fan base.

xD thats why you should do it in a team. ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png)

Also, cant you find a script for rpg maker vx ace online?

Im sure there are scripts for online capabilities but there probably laggy and VXAce isn't an engine that I would recommend for an online game. Well I guess you one was good enough with Ruby Scripting language they could probably rewrite the whole engine to however they see fit. But like I said I'm not a programmer.

The graphics really shouldnt be a issue. Eclipse games are supposed to be retro 2D games. The indie scene is exploding at the moment and Eclipse can get you a quick jump start. I think the main problem is that people dont really work on there games. Dont like the GUI? Well make a new one!

It's Open-source.

Just like Marshy Dearest said…make a new one!!

You can do almost everything ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png)

Eclipse always helps me learning how to be even more sarcastic ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png)

To be honest, the thing that keeps me working on Viridian is its tumblr fanbase. It sounds dumb, sure, but my blog has over 600 followers, and every time I post a new screenshot or some new sprites or an update to the game development, excitement explodes all over my follower count. Many of my followers - albeit not all of them, some follow for other things - constantly send me messages asking to play or to be a part of the team or offering their talents into it. Keeping the "fanbase" busy is one of the best things I've done in a long time, hobby-wise.

Another thing that keeps me going is my own desire to do well. I constantly think up new storylines and characters, and due to a perfectionist attitude I am almost too stubborn to give up. This game has been going on and off since 7th grade, when it started out as a typical cliche orpg design, turning into being about cats, and eventually it became what it is. If I give up now, it'll feel like wasted time.

The final, and possibly most stupid reason, is the desire to impress fellow Eclipsians. I constantly work on my pixel art to try and make someone say, "Wow, that's actually really good! I wish I could use it in _my_ game." Or even just to have one of "those" games that people think about, something that isn't just another thread on the list.

I guess it's just my own personality traits that keep me going with Eclipse, but I've been working on and off on a single game since 7th grade, and there is no god damn way I'm giving up now.

oh shit this is really long sorry omg

Honestly, when I started first messing up with the older eclipse version and EO 2.0 was fun, seeing my friends online made me happy back then.

Now, when I see more and more improved versions, like DX8 or Event system, they don't give you that feeling, or motivation.

There is too much work, and soon when you realise that the engine needs more and more improvements other than some text and item changing events, you give up.

I have to agree, that the combat is lame, visually, gets boring after 2 or 3 mobs killed.

I like the retro feeling, but doesn't look too great.

Never saw a good game here, all are following the same style, some with better maps others with better story, and in the end they all gets to be dumped.

If there soon in the future will be more improvements to the engine, I would like to see an engine, wich allows you to make what "mmorpg" style you want.

Sidescroller, Platformer, Hack n Slash, maybe but not sure Turn Based, without requiring much coding work, something like IG Maker (Enterbrain)

That would be a true mmorpg maker engine.

Sticking with just 1 style, the only games you will see around all will be the same.

The question is, who is gonna make that new engine that supports more than 1 style?

Answer: I think, nobody here.

Lack of motivation, lack of reasons (they don't get paid, and they have to face mean people who just complains about the engine).

I think EO should remain how it is, giving fake hopes for a new engine will bring more hate and not so much motivation around to make a game.

I don't use Eclipse much anymore but I did use it a lot before.

I liked it because its free, fully customizable and not hard at all to learn. VB6 is a very basic and easy language. Thats a good thing at the start but can be not so good later on.

I still use Eclipse sometimes now just to duck around on and play with to try things and see if they work. If you actually do custom systems/features in your game and do your own coding then also use custom graphics, you can make a good game with Eclipse. The problem is to many people try to just use the base engine as a final version and keep the default graphics so it looks to generic and boring.

> Come back to reality, mate.

Im not serious here, nor in real life because of a couple f reasons:

1\. I dont fit being serious, serioisly, I dont.

2\. Being funny and making people smile is the best thing ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png)

3\. Im not as stupid as I behave, but doing so I dont look like I want attention for "Hey, Im very smart!". Its better to know that I am and not behave like one, than behaving like one, and think that I am stupid, so I overpower my brain, and in the wnd, I die without tasting the life.

4\. I want to taste the life, not to watch it from a prison I created.

> Im not serious here, nor in real life because of a couple f reasons:
>
> 1\. I dont fit being serious, serioisly, I dont.
>
> 2\. Being funny and making people smile is the best thing ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png)
>
> 3\. Im not as stupid as I behave, but doing so I dont look like I want attention for "Hey, Im very smart!". Its better to know that I am and not behave like one, than behaving like one, and think that I am stupid, so I overpower my brain, and in the wnd, I die without tasting the life.
>
> 4\. I want to taste the life, not to watch it from a prison I created.

1.you AWESOME one of the best and nicest people on the forums

2\. well thats all

What keeps me on eclipse forums? I honestly have no idea, I like the community, maybe that's why.

What keeps me using eclipse? I can be very, very original when I want, so I'll keep working until I get the game I always dreamed of. Actually, I have a list of mostly original features to add to it but I'm not so good at the coding to create them all. So I'll keep learning and learning until I "master" it. Then I'll create and never stop creating more and more things using programming languages and finally get to world domination.

But actually, I love eclipse games, a lot.