Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse Origins.Net

jcsnider

@jcsnider:

> No I have not heard of Git or anything like it, you are correct. Does that make me a bad programmer? No, maybe less experience. And for the board, if you consider it propaganda then fine, you are entitled to your opinion but that was not my intention when I requested it.

For the record, to back up the last argument you referred to: Robin only uses one thread for Eclipse Origins in general. I have yet to see a reason why you would actually need a board. Also, I have yet to see a proper reason, therefore I am currently waiting for an administrator so I can hand in my request for the removal of this board, per directum.

It doesn't make you a bad programmer, it makes you are a bad software maintainer. There is no reason to publicise an educational project in an early state, and even worse have a whole board for it. Whereas other more mature projects such as Eclipse Origins generally use only one thread. On top of that, not being able to use one single thread, with perhaps a link to some repository site.

Regards,
  Stephan.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@[Cake:

> Vitin â„¢ link=topic=65445.msg703091#msg703091 date=1287436385]
> Whats the cons of vb.net soul?

A big one is that .net programs run are compiled into bytecode and ran through the microsoft virtual machine, instead of assembly and ran on the actual CPU; this puts VB6 (which is ultimately compiled into assembly and ran directly) theoretically faster than any .net systems, since it doesn't go through multiple layers of computation…. I think

But yeah, from the screenshots it seems this may actually be a .net eclipse project that gets finished; hope the project doesn't die in a month like most of them do.

@ÅÐмiядζ:

> @[Cake:
>
> > Vitin â„¢ link=topic=65445.msg703091#msg703091 date=1287436385]
> > Whats the cons of vb.net soul?
>
> A big one is that .net programs run are compiled into bytecode and ran through the microsoft virtual machine, instead of assembly and ran on the actual CPU; this puts VB6 (which is ultimately compiled into assembly and ran directly) theoretically faster than any .net systems, since it doesn't go through multiple layers of computation…. I think
>
> But yeah, from the screenshots it seems this may actually be a .net eclipse project that gets finished; hope the project doesn't die in a month like most of them do.

Thank you ÅÐмiядζ ЯĢ€, although at the time I am putting into this I hope to be done in a month or at least to a debugging stage. lol

@ÅÐмiядζ:

> @[Cake:
>
> > Vitin â„¢ link=topic=65445.msg703091#msg703091 date=1287436385]
> > Whats the cons of vb.net soul?
>
> A big one is that .net programs run are compiled into bytecode and ran through the microsoft virtual machine, instead of assembly and ran on the actual CPU; this puts VB6 (which is ultimately compiled into assembly and ran directly) theoretically faster than any .net systems, since it doesn't go through multiple layers of computation…. I think
>
> But yeah, from the screenshots it seems this may actually be a .net eclipse project that gets finished; hope the project doesn't die in a month like most of them do.

Even worse is that when you actually know enough about Intel, AMD and VIA optimisation, that you will realise that there are processors made anno 2010 that aren't able to deal with .net (e.g. Intel Atom and VIA Nano), and stating that those processors aren't made for games is like saying .net actually is made for game development.

There are only a few operating systems that would be capable of running .net fast enough on heavy work stations to use .net applications on a daily base. These operating systems are all research projects, however. To be even more specific: Microsoft research projects, in most cases.

Regards,
  Stephan.

@Stephan:

> @ÅÐмIядζ:
>
> > @[Cake:
> >
> > > Vitin â„¢ link=topic=65445.msg703091#msg703091 date=1287436385]
> > > Whats the cons of vb.net soul?
> >
> > A big one is that .net programs run are compiled into bytecode and ran through the microsoft virtual machine, instead of assembly and ran on the actual CPU; this puts VB6 (which is ultimately compiled into assembly and ran directly) theoretically faster than any .net systems, since it doesn't go through multiple layers of computation…. I think
> >
> > But yeah, from the screenshots it seems this may actually be a .net eclipse project that gets finished; hope the project doesn't die in a month like most of them do.
>
> Even worse is that when you actually know enough about Intel, AMD and VIA optimisation, that you will realise that there are processors made anno 2010 that aren't able to deal with .net (e.g. Intel Atom and VIA Nano), and stating that those processors aren't made for games is like saying .net actually is made for game development.
>
> There are only a few operating systems that would be capable of running .net fast enough on heavy work stations to use .net applications on a daily base. These operating systems are all research projects, however. To be even more specific: Microsoft research projects, in most cases.
>
> Regards,
>   Stephan.

Goddie so VB6 is better than vb.net in game development?

@[Cake:

> Vitin â„¢ link=topic=65445.msg703179#msg703179 date=1287444883]
> @Stephan:
>
> > @ÅÐмIядζ:
> >
> > > @[Cake:
> > >
> > > > Vitin â„¢ link=topic=65445.msg703091#msg703091 date=1287436385]
> > > > Whats the cons of vb.net soul?
> > >
> > > A big one is that .net programs run are compiled into bytecode and ran through the microsoft virtual machine, instead of assembly and ran on the actual CPU; this puts VB6 (which is ultimately compiled into assembly and ran directly) theoretically faster than any .net systems, since it doesn't go through multiple layers of computation…. I think
> > >
> > > But yeah, from the screenshots it seems this may actually be a .net eclipse project that gets finished; hope the project doesn't die in a month like most of them do.
> >
> > Even worse is that when you actually know enough about Intel, AMD and VIA optimisation, that you will realise that there are processors made anno 2010 that aren't able to deal with .net (e.g. Intel Atom and VIA Nano), and stating that those processors aren't made for games is like saying .net actually is made for game development.
> >
> > There are only a few operating systems that would be capable of running .net fast enough on heavy work stations to use .net applications on a daily base. These operating systems are all research projects, however. To be even more specific: Microsoft research projects, in most cases.
> >
> > Regards,
> >   Stephan.
>
> Goddie so VB6 is better than vb.net in game development?

I would say VB6 is simpler, but not better.
VB.NET is a bit harder, but can make stunning apps.

@Timmah:

> @[Cake:
>
> > Vitin â„¢ link=topic=65445.msg703179#msg703179 date=1287444883]
> > @Stephan:
> >
> > > @ÅÐмIядζ:
> > >
> > > > @[Cake:
> > > >
> > > > > Vitin â„¢ link=topic=65445.msg703091#msg703091 date=1287436385]
> > > > > Whats the cons of vb.net soul?
> > > >
> > > > A big one is that .net programs run are compiled into bytecode and ran through the microsoft virtual machine, instead of assembly and ran on the actual CPU; this puts VB6 (which is ultimately compiled into assembly and ran directly) theoretically faster than any .net systems, since it doesn't go through multiple layers of computation…. I think
> > > >
> > > > But yeah, from the screenshots it seems this may actually be a .net eclipse project that gets finished; hope the project doesn't die in a month like most of them do.
> > >
> > > Even worse is that when you actually know enough about Intel, AMD and VIA optimisation, that you will realise that there are processors made anno 2010 that aren't able to deal with .net (e.g. Intel Atom and VIA Nano), and stating that those processors aren't made for games is like saying .net actually is made for game development.
> > >
> > > There are only a few operating systems that would be capable of running .net fast enough on heavy work stations to use .net applications on a daily base. These operating systems are all research projects, however. To be even more specific: Microsoft research projects, in most cases.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >   Stephan.
> >
> > Goddie so VB6 is better than vb.net in game development?
>
> I would say VB6 is simpler, but not better.
> VB.NET is a bit harder, but can make stunning apps.

None of them are made for game development but for rapid access development, which is a whole different branch actually. Basically the rule counts that the more low-level you go, the faster you can get. That doesn't mean that low-level code is ideally always faster. It simply means that low-level code can be made so to work faster. The reasoning behind this is the idea that the best compiler is the one between your ears.

Regards,
  Stephan.

ALL IN MY OPINION BASED ON EXPERIANCE NOT FACT:

Guys, I'm not picking sides here… Sure VB6 is better in everyway, just about.. But, not everyone can use VB6 applications. .net/C++ are better choices for online games, the reason I say this is because they can support other versions of windows that VB6 cannot, but I'm still not sure .net is worth the aggervation. .net seems to be WAY slower than VB6, but vb6 has many limitations .net does not have..

Ether way, I say if your going to make eclipse in other languages, C++, or THE GODLY JAVA is the way to go! :)

@ShawnyBoy:

> ALL IN MY OPINION BASED ON EXPERIANCE NOT FACT:
>
> Guys, I'm not picking sides here… Sure VB6 is better in everyway, just about.. But, not everyone can use VB6 applications. .net/C++ are better choices for online games, the reason I say this is because they can support other versions of windows that VB6 cannot, but I'm still not sure .net is worth the aggervation. .net seems to be WAY slower than VB6, but vb6 has many limitations .net does not have..
>
> Ether way, I say if your going to make eclipse in other languages, C++, or THE GODLY JAVA is the way to go! :)

Give me one example of a limitation that VB6 has on account of your **experience**.

I don't think .NET is too bad for a conversion. But, why not C#? It's almost identical yet made to run faster (with the intent of combining VB6 with C++).

You guys act like .NET easily transfers over to C++. It doesn't. The only languge that you'd have a relatively easy time converting to is C#. C++ is a lower-level programming language (not VC++).

I don't understand your argument: "vb.NET 08' runs faster than vb.NET 10'"
How does that make any sense?
1\. You're programming on an older (version) language by choice (from scratch)
2\. It obviously is decreasing in quality as it ages, so why start? Why not start from a language that has only improved as time has progressed?

@Miguu:

> I don't think .NET is too bad for a conversion. But, why not C#? It's almost identical yet made to run faster (with the intent of combining VB6 with C++).

lolwut. What are you basing this on?

VB.NET and C# are exactly the same, just a different syntax.

This is why people don't move on to .NET from VB6\. It's a completely different language. The only thing it has in common with VB6 is the name.

I think programming anything in VB.NET is short sighted. It's yet another MS language which is going to wither and die, like everything else they do.

As a learning project, this is fine, but for all the people claiming it's lifespan is longer than that of a VB6 application, you obviously don't understand how these languages work and shouldn't be using them. If you don't understand how to ship the damn library files with your project, you shouldn't be making a bloody video game.

On my opinion i don't think that any language is better then the other. It all depends on what you have the most experience with. For example if a person grew up using linux other then windows then he would say the linux is better. If a person with a good skill and experienced python programming other then java then he would python is better. As for myself I perfer vb6 over vb.net because i grew into being used to using it so much.

@Lavos:

> On my opinion I don't think that any language is better then the other. It all depends on what you have the most experience with. For example if a person grew up using linux other then windows then he would say the linux is better. If a person with a good skill and experienced python programming other then java then he would python is better. As for myself I perfer vb6 over vb.net because I grew into being used to using it so much.

You're obviously not a programmer, then. Using a language just because you're used to it isn't a valid reason to not learn a new one. It's like me refusing to learn Dutch because I grew up speaking English.

Hell, with your philosophy the human race would never progress and would just do what they've always done without improving.