Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just fiddling with the Engine,

Rob Janes

Thanks to Robin (Mummble) I'm not porting his latest changes into my edit, though I won't be using his Party system as I've started my own that works a little differently.  I did finish a GUI editor today, developers or users can edit Interface.ini and create a completely custom interface layout without the need of VB6

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@SamuGames:

> If I want to keep adding extra variables onto a player account, I can do it without the necessity of wiping accounts . EO by default requires you to wipe accounts as it Save the Player Array according to the Type that was defined when the player account was created, and then tries to Load the player data according to the current .bin file which will utlimately either result in a Subscript Error or see the wrong data for each variable.  Using WriteVar/GetVar is a tad slower, but avoids this method.  It's just 'programmer' preference.  They're stored as .dat files but can be edited the same method an INI file could.

If you're going to use something other than Binary use XML or JSON.. INI may be 'simple' but it is **severely** limited

Oh I completely agree, if it were anything severely major, I'd stick to binary, people shouldn't get the impression that INI is an improvement over the system Robin already has included, infact, it's a step backwards in all reality, but for performance, they won't notice an issue, it's merely a preference ;)

dim exampleNode as Node
Set exampleNode = TreeView.Nodes.Add(, ,"Key here","Text Here")
then for subsequent nodes, it would be
set exampleNode = TreeView.Nodes.Add("Parent Key here", tvwChild, "Key here", "Text Here")

You may need to google it to understand, I've had a few drinks while writing this.

I figure I'd post a screenshot of my new 'loot' system that I added to my modification of the EO engine.

As I will not be using this mod for my own project (planning to use Robin's Gold Edition), I'll be releasing it to the public shortly, once I make sure it's all commented well, and works without any errors.

Current Features To Date:
+8 Way Movement
+Mouse Movement
+Kill Quests
+Custom Party System (With shared Party Experience and Party Questing)
+Guild System (Only the Guild Leader can recruit/dismiss/dissolve the Guild)
+Instant Messaging System
+'Who's Online' List
+Message Boards
+3 Layer Sprites (Hair, Head, Body)
+Custom Loot System
+Rewritten LoadPlayer/SavePlayer to load from Flat File data files using GetVar WriteVar
+API Translucency on all forms (can be toggled in performance settings or disabled to increase FPS)
+Weather (Sun, Snow, Rain)
+Mp3 Support

Haha.  Oh wow, it's SamuGames!  ZombieLeader, right?  I'm BillyM, of course.  I stopped playing Fact…uhh wow...years and years ago.  (I'm actually installing it right now on my laptop to make my once every 6 month or so check up..haha)  I've been browsing the forum for the past few hours and I'm impressed with what you're doing ZL (can i call you ZL?  It's what i know you as..haha).  Keep up the good work.  I loved your idea of rain and snow, btw. =)

But anyways, I started working on an orpg in VB6 not long ago.  Had a basic tile engine, map editor, npcs, map warping, some attacking stuff and then came across Eclipse and discovered Eclipse has sort of evolved from Mirage?  Well to sum it up, I scrapped my few months worth of coding to replace it with Eclipse.  I'm very impressed with what Eclipse has going on here and it far surpasses what I had going on with my own code.
I'm eager to jump in and familiarize myself with the code.  A friend and I will have our own project started here soon.  I'm sure you guys will be hearing from me a lot more very soon.

Just a few screenshots of the engine thus far;

It's rending in 800x608 resolution now, I've also added an Options.APIChat option so that you can choose to either use a txtChat or txtMyChat on frmMain that does not affect FPS, or use frmChat which is an API blending form that decreases FPS but looks smoother.  Simply changing config > APIChat from 0 to 1 will toggle this on/off.

I've also put all the character sheet, spell book and inventory on a seperate form (the transparency / background image can all be set through the config file, it can also toggle using a seperate form or using the default ones on frmMain.  This was just personal design preference.  It was fun, as I had to add new functions to render everything either on frmInventory or frmMain depending on Options.InvSettings (True/False).  Everything works properly on the new frmInventory, tooltips, mouse-overs etc, equipping, moving items around, editing the hotbar etc.

I have some work to do server side so that you'll be able to edit Guilds/Quests from the Server as well

@SamuGames:

> Just a few screenshots of the engine thus far;
>
> It's rending in 800x608 resolution now, I've also added an Options.APIChat option so that you can choose to either use a txtChat or txtMyChat on frmMain that does not affect FPS, or use frmChat which is an API blending form that decreases FPS but looks smoother.  Simply changing config > APIChat from 0 to 1 will toggle this on/off.
>
> I've also put all the character sheet, spell book and inventory on a seperate form (the transparency / background image can all be set through the config file, it can also toggle using a seperate form or using the default ones on frmMain.  This was just personal design preference.  It was fun, as I had to add new functions to render everything either on frmInventory or frmMain depending on Options.InvSettings (True/False).  Everything works properly on the new frmInventory, tooltips, mouse-overs etc, equipping, moving items around, editing the hotbar etc.
>
> I have some work to do server side so that you'll be able to edit Guilds/Quests from the Server as well

Looking good Samu.. The server editor looks like it will be sweeet, not to mention convenient. :-)

Looking really good Samu!!

The ingame forum is a great Idea, will be very handy for guides for noobs and guild organization. Have to mention the server… well it just looks like you have injected it with ROIDS!!! >_<

Ever think of making the chat box moveable? I was messing round with fullscreen on EO V1 and tried putting the chatbox into a new form and make it stay on top of client, but its abit funky to say the least lol

Looks class mate, keep up the good work :)