Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just fiddling with the Engine,

Rob Janes

Real Life has occupied most of my time over the last week, which saw little development on the engine modification.  I got cracking at it tonight in my spare time for an hour or two and hammered out my next feature, it's working except for one minor glitch (walking Southwest - the issue is just with the CheckInputKeys, so it's a simple fix.)

This update now includes 8 Way Movement.  Ontop of using Up, Down, Left, Right, you can now Combine Up and Right, to go Northeast, or Up and Left to go Northwest, etc etc.  It does all the proper block checking and will block you appropriately if necessary.

And now for a video of the movement, since screenshots here would be redundant!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q0bf36Cybc

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>:) That's a bit or extra work, this is simply using DIR_DOWN_RIGHT etc as a new direction and adding x+1,y+1 et all.  Obviously you'll go faster as it is a greater distance covered in the same amount of time.  Easier way to resolve this would be so slow the movement speed for those directions ;)

@SamuGames:

> >:) That's a bit or extra work, this is simply using DIR_DOWN_RIGHT etc as a new direction and adding x+1,y+1 et all.  Obviously you'll go faster as it is a greater distance covered in the same amount of time.  Easier way to resolve this would be so slow the movement speed for those directions ;)

or use vectors

@SamuGames:

> True, but why do that and get the same results with 1 line of code in changing the movement speed?

vectors are like 4 lines of code and will actually function properly. Your speed slow-down thing is now making it so that there is a preferred direction of movement, defeating the purpose of 8-direction movement

Using vectors will accomplished the exact same results that I have already finished; the movement speed for diagonal now mimics the movement speed of going left/right/up/down, so going back and tweaking is simply redundant.  Why fix what already works?  A lot of programmers have this flaw of wanting to tweak things even though it already works, even if it's messy.  It's just time that could be spent on something else.

@SamuGames:

> Using vectors will accomplished the exact same results that I have already finished; the movement speed for diagonal now mimics the movement speed of going left/right/up/down, so going back and tweaking is simply redundant.  Why fix what already works?  A lot of programmers have this flaw of wanting to tweak things even though it already works, even if it's messy.  It's just time that could be spent on something else.

unless you use actual x-y vector components, the diagonal rate of movement will never be equal to the Cartesian movement. and anyway, its not even one line of code modification to switch over. Actually, it should use less lines

@SamuGames:

> Valid argument.  I just took a different approach to tackling the same problem and ended up with the same (Alright, maybe it's a 'little' faster than basic movement but it gets the job done and It's just one more feature out of the way).

if you use vector math, it allows easy implementation of physics

@Fabio:

> Robin, you are posting about me posting about math at a party whilst being at a party.
> >forever alone

I ended up not going. Creepy chubby girl sent me a load of stalking texts saying what she'd do to me there. I was scared.

Come home so we can play l4d2\. <3

@SamuGames:

> Chubby girls are the best, they try harder.

There's trying hard and then there's just plain stalking. She keeps telling me how much she wants a boyfriend. Like every single damn conversation. That and she keeps saying how cuddly I am and how much she wants a cuddle… she's freaky.

@Celsius:

> Sorry to be impatient its just that I only have time to work on my project for another hour or so today, so It would be great if you could please PM me as soon as possible.
> Sorry for being needy xD
> Thanks Again.

Dont know if you saw this. I dont know if i am coming off as an ass hole, If i seem that way, I'm sorry, this is just really important.

Finally tackled the Quest System today after finishing the 8 way movement.

I will tackle an actual 'Journal' Interface so you can track all of your quests, as well as an actual Quest Editor interface (right now you edit ini files) however all the backend code is done, talking to an NPC if he has a quest that you don't already have you your quest log, or if you've completed, he will give it to you, killing NPCs or collecting items will properly update your quest status and once it's completed, you may go back to the quest giver for your reward).  Again, there isn't a complete Quest UI yet so all the messages are updated in the chat window for now.

Screenshot
![](http://www.samugames.com/quests.png)

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YbRSiBzUZY

Engine modification status:
Guilds (Completed)
Weather (Completed)
Instant Messaging (Completed)
8 Way Movement (Completed)
Quests (80% - missing End User Interface)
Auction House (Not Started)
Player Statistics (Hours Played, Awards, Scoreboard etc) (Not Started)