Find results in...

Robins Admin Access

Marsh

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
We have considered that as a option Kamii. We are working a c version of the Eclipse engine right now and that is where the priority is. If to much time is taken then Rose or another developer will be given head developer and will continue developing for Eclipse.

Though official or not it doesnt really matter you can always just go grab Roses updates out of the custom version section.

As much I would love to see new engines and new eclipse come out. I would try to wait on releasing them for awhile. The reason is because eclipse origins is pretty much near perfect and unless you can do better then that there's not much of a reason for releasing a new engine. It would also cause the people who are creating a game under eclipse origins to switch over to the newer engine. Seeing as support for older engines aren't really allowed.

That doesn't mean eclipse origins shouldn't still going on being improved by someone. Robins engine is near perfect however it doesn't offer a lot of features for someone who doesn't know how to fully use it.

I asked for Origins to be left as it was when I retired and for EOv2 to be left as an official download. Apart from a few problems it's pretty much my idea of what an open-source game base should be. Anything added to it would simply be taking something away from that image and be catering to the feature-hungry masses who, despite popular belief, don't know what it takes to make a good game.

If someone wants to build on my work then they're free to use EO as a base and make their own version. For now I certainly believe these should be user-made modifications, though. I don't believe Eclipse would benefit from having one of these engines as the _de facto_ version. I also don't feel like having to come out of retirement to fix up an engine someone else released.

I use this example waay too much, but just look at Crystalshire. That's pretty much a default copy of EOv2\. It uses the official updater and most of the features I added are sure to have a tutorial made for them somewhere. Hell, you can even get a copy of the source code yourself.

People just have a bad habit of putting down their own failings as a game developer to engine restrictions.

The features I was thinking about is ones which is in all mmorpgs. I'm not saying a whole lot of useless features need to be added. There are some standard features which most people would like to have however that doesn't mean any added needs to be used.

I more less seeing eclipse maybe heading into directx support for png ect. However it really up to marsh and the new head developer to choose.

People just have a bad habit of not seeing what everyone would want to what they only want.

@Cyprien:

> The features I was thinking about is ones which is in all mmorpgs. I'm not saying a whole lot of useless features need to be added. There are some standard features which most people would like to have however that doesn't mean any added needs to be used.
>
> I more less seeing eclipse maybe heading into directx support for png ect. However it really up to marsh and the new head developer to choose.
>
> People just have a bad habit of not seeing what everyone would want to what they only want.

Alpha channel support is not needed at all, if that's what you're suggesting. Alpha channels aren't supported simply because of the huge amounts of restrictions this puts on the engine.

If DD7 was fine for RE2 and HOMM3 then it's fine for a little ORPG.

As for who's decision it is on what's added to the engine, it's completely down to the programmer. As I said, all I asked was that Origins be offered in it's original condition as an official download.

People who take my engine and add more stuff to it have a bad habit of not being able to debug their own systems or realise when they're compromising the stability and security of my existing code. I don't want to have to come out of retirement to sort out the mess created by people who can't program.