Find results in...

Eclipse Omega 1.6

Murdoc

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Prince:

> It would be great if you release the conversation system and map animation in it.

I was already planning on it ;-) I modified the original post with "planned additions". However, just let me kindly reiterate that Im not doing requests, for two reasons: Im not highly proficient with programming, and because Im doing this on my own time. Whatever I plan to add (to make this version well rounded) will be added in due time.

@Erwin:

> Its just a bunch of tutorials, you can't call that a Custom Version, I agree it might be usefull for newbies, but for the rest..

Let's put it this way. Most of the custom versions that pass through here are just tutorials all slapped together. I have no problem admitting that this one is no different. But having tried a few custom versions in this section and seeing how lazily they were put together, with loads of bugs and systems that dont work, I decided to put together a more stable and bug free system for newbies and whoever else that might appreciate me taking the time to add these.

@Murdock:

> Let's put it this way. Most of the custom versions that pass through here are just tutorials all slapped together. I have no problem admitting that this one is no different. But having tried a few custom versions in this section and seeing how lazily they were put together, with loads of bugs and systems that dont work, I decided to put together a more stable and bug free system for newbies and whoever else that might appreciate me taking the time to add these.

That's what I'm about to reply Erwin.

@Zetasis:

> Looks good. My only request besides what you have or are planning on adding is the buff spell type. There's a tutorial in the source tutorial section. I would post a link but I'm on my iPod so it's a pain in the arse.

From the looks of it there is no tutorial on adding buff spells for EO, only ES. If there was I'd definately add it in.

This is just another edit for lazy people. :\ If they can't simply follow tutorials and add these features themselves, they're not going to make anything great. By offering this and doing it for them, you're giving them an excuse. This is like the third edit I've seen on this page that offers exactly this, give or take.

I've seen you struggling around the Q&A, you obviously don't have a well understanding of what you're doing. I'm only suggesting that if you're going to make a custom edit, include something personally custom, something new, even if its not innovative.

That's just my opinion, not trying to flame yer or nothing of the sort;

@Encyclopedia:

> This is just another edit for lazy people. :\ If they can't simply follow tutorials and add these features themselves, they're not going to make anything great. By offering this and doing it for them, you're giving them an excuse. This is like the third edit I've seen on this page that offers exactly this, give or take.
>
> I've seen you struggling around the Q&A, you obviously don't have a well understanding of what you're doing. I'm only suggesting that if you're going to make a custom edit, include something personally custom, something new, even if its not innovative.
>
> That's just my opinion, not trying to flame yer or nothing of the sort;

Seriously, the only reason I'm doing this is because other custom edits (better named) have bugs in major systems, such as quest, pet etc. This one doesn't. As well, I don't program as my knowledge is very limited in visual basic (So youre right, I dont know what im doing, except when it comes to adding in tutorials properly and ironing out small bugs). I'm a pixel artist not a programmer. That's why Im not adding any original features. I only hope that by doing this that more games will be created (whether they suck or not) and there will be less complaints from newbies trying to add in these simple systems (As Im doing it for them).. Yea, people are lazy. Heck half of the community is lazy, but It doesn't matter to me since Im not here to make people more motivated in life; Im just trying to help out the eclipse community in some way.

http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,73636.0.html
for the buff spell.

As fir the last post I agree that this won't help anyone learn how to program but some members are here to make a hobbie gam and don't have any intentions to learn how to program. Myself would love to learn but with limited time it makes it difficult to get any where. Still, though, I am learning slowly.

@Zetasis:

> http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,73636.0.html
> for the buff spell.
>
> As fir the last post I agree that this won't help anyone learn how to program but some members are here to make a hobbie gam and don't have any intentions to learn how to program. Myself would love to learn but with limited time it makes it difficult to get any where. Still, though, I am learning slowly.

My thoughts exactly. There are tons of people who pass through here just wanting to get a quick Eclipse fix . This version is somewhat geared towards those people, I admit it. But it's also very functional and well rounded as far as features. Other world edit, has a non-functioning, buggy quest system (and no pet system unless you dont want the source included), Eclipse Starlight cannot be modified (the source crashes if you try to edit frmMain), and so here is Eclipse Omega. Less bugs, more features, and you can edit the source if you so choose.

By the way, Im not dissing anyone's work or other custom versions per se. Just giving reasons why this is a good idea, and not a bad one.

I never noticed that tutorial before. Thanks for pointing it out Zetasis, I will add that feature in the next version (1.1).

@Zetasis:

> No problem man and just keep in mind there will always be people who like to put down these kinds of things. Just don't let them get to you and keep up the good work. I may actually use this edit since it doesn't have the frmmain bug like Richeys edit.

I'm well aware, but its all cool. There are, reportedly, minor bugs in the original edit. But at least this way you can still edit the source if you wish. I'm going to add a few more features, run some testing and call it complete fairly soon.

@Encyclopedia:

> This is just another edit for lazy people. :\ If they can't simply follow tutorials and add these features themselves, they're not going to make anything great. By offering this and doing it for them, you're giving them an excuse. This is like the third edit I've seen on this page that offers exactly this, give or take.
>
> I've seen you struggling around the Q&A, you obviously don't have a well understanding of what you're doing. I'm only suggesting that if you're going to make a custom edit, include something personally custom, something new, even if its not innovative.
>
> That's just my opinion, not trying to flame yer or nothing of the sort;

Eclipse is a home to **hobby projects** not amazing games. The whole thing was made so people can have fun making their own game, for fun. Some people don't care for adding new and exciting features, they just want to make a game in their own time. Not everyone wants to be/is a programmer.

Encyclopedia Dramatica, or Rose if you will. Please calm down. Seriously? I learned a lot from reading your post. You know some people are good with software, and some people suck with it. Guess what? Some people are good at communicating, and some people suck with it.

Nice edit, but you might not name it a "fully functioning quest system" yet if you have too many quests ingame and press on the "quest tab" it'll crash. (I made about 11 or 12)

(I so agree with Captain Wabbit by the way. Eclipse is great for a game with friends or a small great community, programmers and not-programmers should both enjoy it no matter how they use it. )

@hedgy:

> Nice edit, but you might not name it a "fully functioning quest system" yet if you have too many quests ingame and press on the "quest tab" it'll crash. (I made about 11 or 12)
>
> (I so agree with Captain Wabbit by the way. Eclipse is great for a game with friends or a small great community, programmers and not-programmers should both enjoy it no matter how they use it. )

I'll test this. Thanks for pointing it out.