Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Xbox One Discussion Thread

kris_hole

Just so we stopped spamming the shoutbox.

Personally, i thought it looked rather terrible.

the entire video of the reveal was bad, It went "Tv, tv, skype, internet, movie, tv, a game that isn't exlucisve, internet, tv, another unexclusive game, done"

They're trying to make a GAMES console an all round Media hub,m and it will not work. People simply do not want that. Let's watch television on our xbox! on the tv… no....

"Let's have a skype call! Because Xbox Live Parties aren't as good!" once again... no..

And the look! WHAT IS THAT!?

I mean seriously... This:

>! ![](http://i.imgur.com/TlVhDVLh.jpg)

Looks like two of these…

>! ![](http://www.gamersgear.com/images/original/GG00283.jpg)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was a _software_ reveal. They've set themselves up perfectly. XBox One's time to shine will come once it's side by side with the PS4 at the E3\. Sony will be busy revealing _their_ fancy new features while Microsoft hits us with an overdose of gaming reveals. It's smart, really.

…at least, that's what I'm hoping for.

Console is fugly no doubt.

Was a bit disappointed they spent way to much time with the TV stuff. Though at leats they showed off exactly what the console and controllers look like and gave a semi release date. A lot more then sony did. Also as someone else mentioned they did specifically say this announcement was not about the games but the console. So i look forward to seeing what kind of games they have. They did mention 15 exclusives briefly.

I'll agree the console could use a little cosmetic touch ups. Looks like modern hardware and the 1970's collided.

> They're trying to make a GAMES console an all round Media hub,m and it will not work. People simply do not want that. Let's watch television on our xbox! on the tv… no....

On the contrary. What allowed for PS2 to dominate the gaming market was the fact that is was the first and at that time only home console to allow DVD videos to be played. That created a massive drive in sales, people didn't need to purchase multiple devices after purchasing it.

What further drove the success of this generation of consoles was not just the games, but the fact that you could now access apps like Netflix, Pandora, your home network and continue to play DvD videos. Again, reducing the need to purchase multiple devices.

The future of home consoles is to harness and empower all home entertainment in a neatly packaged user friendly form.

I think this is fantastic, it's only going to create new technologies for us and improve the ease of access to entertainment at a better price.

Perhaps, however the reveal of a console is to reveal the console…

being a GAMES console, their priority SHOULD have been showing any advances in gaming...

Did they? No, instead they spent an hour showing how the xbox one can watch TV, the thing that your TV can do by itself already... play music and videos, which everything does now (i think the wii U does too?).

And skype. What the duck? Why the duck does it need skype? Are Xbox Parties not enough?

I don't recall them showing any exclusives or announcing any, the DID show fifa 13 and CoD:Ghosts, which both are coming out for the PS4 too...

"XBOX ONE! THERE'S A HALO TV SHOW COMING!" make no correlation what so ever....

They have gone from console to media center, which is basically a pc with incredibly shit hardware.

"New AI, fish move" so duck?

There really is no reason to buy an xbox one, you may as well just go with PC. at least PC's can be fixed when they break by yourself without having to send it off or wrap it in a towel or whatever other things there were to fix the last xbox.

NOT TO MENTION, this reveal was postponed for a month, in response to the playstation 4's reveal video, which didn't show a ducking thing but a blurry black box.

AND, they have also confirmed that the Xbox One does not have an always on DRM BUT it does have to be connected to the internet at least once in every 24 hours to be able to play games.

Also, there's the whole fee to play pre-owned games, however i don't know if this is confirmed or not.

And let's not forget the feature that I simply can not wait for:

![](http://i.imgur.com/MS0ehct.jpg)

> I'll agree the console could use a little cosmetic touch ups. Looks like modern hardware and the 1970's collided.
>
> On the contrary. What allowed for PS2 to dominate the gaming market was the fact that is was the first and at that time only home console to allow DVD videos to be played. That created a massive drive in sales, people didn't need to purchase multiple devices after purchasing it.
>
> What further drove the success of this generation of consoles was not just the games, but the fact that you could now access apps like Netflix, Pandora, your home network and continue to play DvD videos. Again, reducing the need to purchase multiple devices.
>
> The future of home consoles is to harness and empower all home entertainment in a neatly packaged user friendly form.
>
> I think this is fantastic, it's only going to create new technologies for us and improve the ease of access to entertainment at a better price.

Exactly. I alluded to this only briefly in the shoutbox, but your average joe isn't looking for a hardcore gaming rig; if they were they would be building a PC. In lieu of building a PC and for someone looking for a portable home entertainment solution that includes a wide variety of mediums this is the perfect solution. As Vortigem said, and although consoles will never catch the PC in terms of performance, it is far from being a speculative market; these things will sell like hotcakes.

Edit: Let's not forget the $500 price disparity between a last or current gen console and a current to next gen gaming PC, and that's not even including the peripherals. That's another cause for people buying them in lieu of a PC.

Edit2: It's pretty funny to note that both the PS4 and the XOne are rocking AMD chipsets, and the only difference is the GPU; XOne is rocking a 7790 and the PS4 is rocking a 7850\. Watch the range in prices of these two be completely ridiculous, e.g. PS4 for $599-$699 and the XOne for $499-$599.

Double post. my bad.

However:

[http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-will-not-function-without-kinect-attached

T](http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-will-not-function-without-kinect-attached)he console will not work without the kinect being attached to the console.

And any of you who have ever used a kinect, unless you are in your living room, good luck with those gestures in small spaces…

> but your average joe isn't looking for a hardcore gaming rig; if they were they would be building a PC.

I sincerely beg to differ. Every single console I ever owned before I discovered PC gaming (i always had a shit PC until about 4 years ago) was down to the ridiculous power behind them. And with each console, the games got better and better.

Console Gamers do not want advancements in watching TV, or any of the shit that they can already do without having to own an Xbox One. They want better gameplay.

> ' timestamp='1369199827' post='899315']
>
> I sincerely beg to differ. Every single console I ever owned before I discovered PC gaming (i always had a shit PC until about 4 years ago) was down to the ridiculous power behind them. And with each console, the games got better and better.
>
> Console Gamers do not want advancements in watching TV, or any of the shit that they can already do without having to own an Xbox One. They want better gameplay.

I don't know how late you came into the game, but the reason why we always bought consoles is because of their reliability, ease of use, portability, sharing and resale value, and initial price among other things. Back in the late 80's, early 90's a top of the line PC would cost you well over $1,000.00\. Today that price has exponentially decreased due to many factors (manufacturing, technological advances, materials, trade, etc). I stopped buying consoles after the Xbox 360 because I moved to PC gaming, and I moved into PC gaming because I used my PC more and more as I grew older and as telecommunications technology advanced.

If I were deploying to Iraq, Afghanistan, or going any place where I could not take my desktop I would certainly consider buying a console; all you need is a TV and a hand full of games, and a console is far cheaper than a laptop of equal or greater capability; true story. Another thing to note about consoles is that game development for them doesn't stop for years and developers continue to push them to their maximum potential in terms of rendering. PC game development moves far quicker and has a shorter life expectancy. It's actually gotten to where every new game has a "next gen" engine that requires the next series of graphics card to max out, or at the very least a high end card from the last generation (6970 vs. 7850; 6970 is more performant but it's last generation).

> ' timestamp='1369199827' post='899315']
>
> I sincerely beg to differ. Every single console I ever owned before I discovered PC gaming (i always had a shit PC until about 4 years ago) was down to the ridiculous power behind them. And with each console, the games got better and better.
>
> Console Gamers do not want advancements in watching TV, or any of the shit that they can already do without having to own an Xbox One. They want better gameplay.

To kind of piggy-back on what Bud said, he was referring to "average joe", and in fact the average joe does enjoy his favorite games, favorite tv shows/movies and access to his music.

Objecting to additional features on a console is more of a hardcore gaming point of view, who are only a portion of the wide range of consumers today. Be glad, though. More consumers = more revenue, which means better technology.

for the record, i'm not an angry PS3 fanboy…

I moved on to PC gaming shortly after getting a playstation 2 back in 2004 or sometime near there...

I did only buy an xbox 360 about a year ago, and solely to join my flat mate online as I actually enjoy FPS's on it, even if I am terrible with a controller.

For portability duck everything and buy a wii U, you don't even need a tv, you can use the controller.

But really though, every console ALREADY does all of this shit, you don't need a console to watch tv. The playstation 2, Xbox, and 360 and PS3 all allowed you to watch movies and listen to music. The 360, PS3 and Wii allowed you to go online. These aren't new innovative things. They have simply ran out of ideas and have nothing to show.

> ' timestamp='1369205206' post='899322']
>
> for the record, i'm not an angry PS3 fanboy…
>
> I moved on to PC gaming shortly after getting a playstation 2 back in 2004 or sometime near there...
>
> I did only buy an xbox 360 about a year ago, and solely to join my flat mate online as I actually enjoy FPS's on it, even if I am terrible with a controller.
>
> For portability duck everything and buy a wii U, you don't even need a tv, you can use the controller.
>
> But really though, every console ALREADY does all of this shit, you don't need a console to watch tv. The playstation 2, Xbox, and 360 and PS3 all allowed you to watch movies and listen to music. The 360, PS3 and Wii allowed you to go online. These aren't new innovative things. They have simply ran out of ideas and have nothing to show.

I'd like to point out, if you happened to miss it, that the XOne now has a blu-ray/dvd combo drive. ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png) You literally get everything with it now, including the ability to play blu-ray movies. This storage medium will finally allow developers to go balls out for the Xbox crowd.

> The Steambox will most likely kick both the Xbox and PS4 around in the up coming months, especially with it's ability to play games you already own on the PC; it also offers complete open hardware.

It definitely could, really depends on price and controllers at this point.

> Any particular reason?

Nope. These guys are all jumping on the hate wagon simply on the basis that there were no developers present to show off their tech aside from Activision with Call of Duty.

> Nope. These guys are all jumping on the hate wagon simply on the basis that there were no developers present to show off their tech aside from Activision with Call of Duty.

Nah, that's not my reason.

I'm just "hating" on it because it makes me feel better about the fact that I probably won't be able to afford it. :'D

> Nah, that's not my reason.
>
> I'm just "hating" on it because it makes me feel better about the fact that I probably won't be able to afford it. :'D

That's unfortunate. Save your money; stay with the PC crowd. ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png)

What's funny is that PCs are more popular than consoles but when you stop and think of what PC does, it makes this entire thread ironic.

Your PC can play games, but what else can it do?

-Let's you watch shows and movies

-Let's you use social networks

-Let's you share conversations and photos with your friends

-Voice recognition

-Everything about YOU.

So now Xbox One comes along and says that this console is more than just games and its centered on YOU and what happens?

Everyone screams "omg we dont want TV we want games ARGH ARGH"

If PC is number one and it does all of the above, why wouldnt a console company who wants to be number one include these features?

> If I were deploying to Iraq, Afghanistan, or going any place where I could not take my desktop I would certainly consider buying a console; all you need is a TV and a hand full of games, and a console is far cheaper than a laptop of equal or greater capability; true story. Another thing to note about consoles is that game development for them doesn't stop for years and developers continue to push them to their maximum potential in terms of rendering. PC game development moves far quicker and has a shorter life expectancy. It's actually gotten to where every new game has a "next gen" engine that requires the next series of graphics card to max out, or at the very least a high end card from the last generation (6970 vs. 7850; 6970 is more performant but it's last generation).

Well now you can say goodbye to that as you will also require an internet connection, good luck with that. I do have to agree though that the games for PCs can render 3-4 year old PCs as ancient in terms of the specs needed; while the console games push it to the max, yet the games will still run smoothly. For example, many people own (what used to be) gaming PCs yet can barely run Crysis 3.

Microsoft bought out skype, which is why they integrated it with the new xbox. I believe you will be able to be in a call with people on PCs or any other device with skype.

While I was extremely pissed off to find out that no ACTUAL gameplay footage was shown, I do see the importance of showing off the features of the actual console as more than just hardcore gamers watched. If the gameplay they show at E3 isn't ducking amazing, I'm going to be extremely disappointed.

@Pony, I do believe I read somewhere that the Steambox will not reveal anything at E3, which is a very big disappointment.

Finally as for the price, considering the 360 was around $400 or $500 at the reveal at lasted 7 years (going to be 8 years later this year). I don't see the new "guessed" price at $599 being that bad. Of course you could build a pretty decent PC for around the same price you'd pay for the PS4, like my second point stated, it will become outdated in the standards set by upcoming games.

Think I'm done… for now.