Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RELEASE DATE for Eclipse Evolution 3.0/Solar Eclipse/Java Eclipse!

Admiral Refuge

@Magic:

> hey - most of us don't care if it's buggy. let us work with a beta that's not official. then you're not pressured AND we're happy.

They did that before, then everyone bitched and moaned about the bugs, which is why 2.7 had a few problems.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A reason for a beta is for people to test if everything working correctly and if anything needs improvement. As much everyone would love to have a beta I don't think it will happen. Since one isn't already been released. Beta releases aren't really meant to be used more like just to play around with and get an idea so when the real version out you can already have few things done or know how to use it better.

The only way I think they would even think about releasing a beta/alpha build if they offered no support at all on it. Which meaning if you have a problem you wouldn't get no help from staff as they would be working on the true version of the release. I also don't see it going to happen too.

Can someone at least post a estimated guess on the percentage (%) that SE1/EE3 is at or something?

This way the Dev team isn't stressed to finish too soon cause there's still no release date, and we, the people, cant really guess when it will likely come out cause we really don't know when EE3 started.

That would possibly help people better understand where ZM is on the project atm.

@Zyvo:

> Can someone at least post a estimated guess on the percentage (%) that SE1/EE3 is at or something?

I can give you the percentage of how much people are complaining about Solar Eclipse's release. Believe me its off the charts  :rolleyes:

@Aldur:

> This topic is pointless. People are still going to ask for when it's going to be released, so in the end this topic does nothing.

This topic is not designed to stop people from asking (since most people will not read it first), but it is designed to link them to this topic, if they ask.

@Admiral:

> Technically, it is real; this is topic is not made to trick members into coming over here like a RollRick, but to explain to them the situation, as to why we don't have release dates.

You, not rickrolling? GTFO!

@Aldur:

> This topic is pointless. People are still going to ask for when it's going to be released, so in the end this topic does nothing.

You're right this post doesn't really stop people from asking. People are going to ask anyways until it's released then they will move on to when the next version going to be released.

What should been done was this topic should been made then locked. It should also have any post or other topics about the release date would be deleted without warning and user would be warned.

However the warning it self shouldn't be very high since some people might not seen this post before posting.

@Zyvo:

> Can someone at least post a estimated guess on the percentage (%) that SE1/EE3 is at or something?
>
> This way the Dev team isn't stressed to finish too soon cause there's still no release date, and we, the people, cant really guess when it will likely come out cause we really don't know when EE3 started.
>
> That would possibly help people better understand where ZM is on the project atm.

No. Now please shut your trap.

@Zyvo:

Its over 9000…

@Zetta:

> if you want to make a vb.net version, go ahead. Nobody is stopping you. If you can produce a beta, I can guarantee that you will even get a sub-board for your contribution.
>
> I actually considered vb.net when updating because the COM library is no longer supported by Microsoft, although I realised that vb.net is too similar to vc++.net. So why program in vb.net when I can use VC++.net and produce a potentially better product? Then I noticed that Microsoft's .net framework is strictly Microsoft. That kind-of kills the point of C++ which is normally a cross-platform language plus its a Microsoft-sponsored language. VC++.net will only exist as long as Microsoft supports the .net framework. If you haven't noticed yet, Microsoft dropped the COM library. So the obvious, free and open source response was Java.

Did you knew there's also GCC for Windows? Which is also available on Linux, Mac OS X, HPX, AIX, QNX, BeOS, BSD, etc. Besides you can turn off the option to compile for the .NET framework and you aren't forced to use COM. Next to that, Microsoft does not force you to use MSVC, I've perfectly used MinGW combined with Dev-Cpp or Code::Blocks fine, even other IDEs will work fine.

> Stick with java, anyone can learn it, it's stable and it has a huuuuge community!!

And it eats resources, requires a virtual machine and I don't see the point in using it when C/C++ can do the job fine.

@ballen:

> A completely agree, It's best to stick with Java, Java is an awesome language and its cross-platform capabilities enable users running Linux, Unix, Mac and Windows to all play future games developed with 3.0….. What's the point developing it with a Microsoft sponsored language as Zetta Monkey said..... The engine will exists as long as Microsoft keep supporting the language where as Java is O/S and free to learn, develop and get support for :)
>
> Just want to say... I love you Zetta Monkey, keep up the good work buddy, we all really appreciate it :)

C/C++ are cross-platform too, when used correctly, which again seems to be only doable by people who are skilled with C/C++. C/C++ is indeed supported by Microsoft, but not owned by Microsoft. HM used an IDE and a compiler made for Microsoft, which obviously leads to problems when used wrong. Don't put the fault at Microsoft when the fault is simply ignorance.

@JoshTheEvilInsaneGod:

> I agree 100% that java is a great and ultimate source for the game develoment but Zetta out of all my time using C++ and C# with my programs and in my dev. I never ever use microsoft .net framwork. Since the start of learning to programing the first thing i did and set off was to re/write my own framework , not its not like fully completed but if there ever is a time when i would need something like that If is something that i have wrote my self. But all i am saying really is (since i am not appart of the dev team,) I think then if you guys are going to be continuing a vb6 version , java , and any other kind, Wouldn't it be smart to do a server in vb.net rather than vb6 , because the java source would be more power full that using vb6 , because it has all the resources. And i want to say this just because it is something i learned a long time ago " It does not matter what you code in , or or good it is , Anyone can code a program , and you may think its good, but a master at any language can make it better." What this mean is even tho you coded a java version of the source , that does not mean that a vb.net version could not match or even over power the java engine . Well if ya need me so i stop posting so long and would like to disscuss this more with me msn = [email protected] kk hope it all works out

I only used the .NET framework in Visual Basic, which, in my opinion, sucked. In C++ I use several low-level API, like WinAPI, X11, POSIX, BSD sockets, etc. mixed with C and Assembly for full speed.

@The guys I quoted except for JoshTheEvilInsaneGod: get your facts right and research some more before blaming Bjarne Stroustrup and Microsoft.

Regards,
  Godlord.