Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Project Vertigo Origins [ 1.1.4 – FINAL ] (2D Side-Scrolling ORPG Engine)

mrmiguu

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@MrMiguuâ„¢:

> If I can get assistance on how exactly it works and if I can fully understand the concept, then yes.

The client should have these maps:
╔═══╦═══╦═══╗
â•‘N Wâ•‘ N â•‘N Eâ•‘
╠═══╬═══╬═══╣
â•‘ W â•‘ C â•‘ E â•‘
╠═══╬═══╬═══╣
â•‘S Wâ•‘ S â•‘S Eâ•‘
╚═══╩═══╩═══╝
**Note**: C is Current.

Maps:
╔════╦════╦════╦════╦════╗
â•‘ 01 â•‘ 02 â•‘ 03 â•‘ 04 â•‘ 05 â•‘
╠════╬════╬════╬════╬════╣
â•‘ 06 â•‘ 07 â•‘ 08 â•‘ 09 â•‘ 10 â•‘
â•‘ 11 â•‘ 12 â•‘ 13 â•‘ 14 â•‘ 15 â•‘
â•‘ 16 â•‘ 17 â•‘ 18 â•‘ 19 â•‘ 20 â•‘
â•‘ 21 â•‘ 22 â•‘ 23 â•‘ 24 â•‘ 25 â•‘
╚════╩════╩════╩════╩════╝

Lets say our current map is 17\. Then we should have these maps:
╔════╦════╦════╗
â•‘ 11 â•‘ 12 â•‘ 13 â•‘
╠════╬════╬════╣
â•‘ 16 â•‘ 17 â•‘ 18 â•‘
╠════╬════╬════╣
â•‘ 21 â•‘ 22 â•‘ 23 â•‘
╚════╩════╩════╝

If we move to the east, C should be 18 and we should get:
╔════╦════╦════╗
â•‘ 12 â•‘ 13 â•‘ 14 â•‘
╠════╬════╬════╣
â•‘ 17 â•‘ 18 â•‘ 19 â•‘
╠════╬════╬════╣
â•‘ 22 â•‘ 23 â•‘ 24 â•‘
╚════╩════╩════╝

So, what happened? The first column got dropped and we moved each column we had one to the left. Then we got a new column of maps.

The way it works is that you have nine maps so when you move you can instantly use the map and use the loading for the other three new maps, that is when moving to N, E, S or W.

Why the NW, SW, NE and SE then? Quite simple. When you move to N and to NE instantly and the NE map isn't there, you end up loading it which ruins the point of seamless maps. Also when you have diagonal movement, you'll surely need the NW, NE, SE and SW maps.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Spirit.of.the.Dawn:

> "Run-time error '429':
>
> ActiveX component can't create object."
>
> Any clue what I can do to fix this?  I'm really wanting to make a Kingdom Hearts side-scroller.
>
> By the way, MrMiguuâ„¢, this looks promising.  =D  Keep up the good work!
>
> - Spirit.of.the.Dawn

Install [ELI](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,50015.0.html).

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Godlord:

> Install [ELI](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,50015.0.html).
>
> Regards,
>   Godlord.

So true… I find it funny that people don't **pay attention** to the errors that Eclipse gives them.

Let me break it down:
"ActiveX component can't create object."
1\. ActiveX is trying to make something graphical (assuming it's from a .OCX) and it is unable to. That has to mean that the .OCX is it trying to read is corrupted or in the wrong spot, so it can't find it. That is the most thorough explanation I can give you people.

@MrMiguuâ„¢:

> So true… I find it funny that people don't **pay attention** to the errors that Eclipse gives them.
>
> Let me break it down:
> "ActiveX component can't create object."
> 1\. ActiveX is trying to make something graphical (assuming it's from a .OCX) and it is unable to. That has to mean that the .OCX is it trying to read is corrupted or in the wrong spot, so it can't find it. That is the most thorough explanation I can give you people.

The error is usually caused by DirectX 7 for Visual Basic 6.0 not being installed. This problem can be solved by installing ELI.

**Addendum**: did you read my other reply yet?

Regards,
  Godlord.

Hey Miguu, I now ur getting requests left and right, but I noticed when you turn the games customizing feature on it seems to only read four of your Heads, Bodies, and Legs. Could there be an option to increase the max amount of custom heads/bodies/legs to choose from? Am I making sense? That'd be awesome if you could try to fit this in with the next update, but if you cant I understand.

Thanks for great update btw.

@Splocket:

> Hey Miguu, I now ur getting requests left and right, but I noticed when you turn the games customizing feature on it seems to only read four of your Heads, Bodies, and Legs. Could there be an option to increase the max amount of custom heads/bodies/legs to choose from? Am I making sense? That'd be awesome if you could try to fit this in with the next update, but if you cant I understand.
>
> Thanks for great update btw.

This I can do since it can be generally implemented. I will do it server-sided. Thanks for suggesting this.

BTW, Goddie, I saw your reply and figured since most side-scrollers use map transitions naturally that there would be no sense in adding this feature. It would be more practical for a regular Top-Down game to have it since it expands it's overall horizons. Thanks for helping me realize how it would work, though.

@wildjjbug:

> wow i like this engine. are you gonna make it where people can design their characters?

lol
Do you mean make their own sprite? Then yes because you can make your own character already.(Whats the point of a mmorpg if you can't make your own char)

@ace7707:

> "Run Time Error 76"
> Path Not Found: C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\PV_Hotfix[1]\Hotfix\PV_Client\GUI\Buttons\Close.bmp
> What should i do? i ran the server and then the client and then it said this.

Read what it says…
[HINT] (spoiler alert)
The file 'Close.BMP' is missing from the folder "C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\PV_Hotfix[1]\Hotfix\PV_Client\GUI\Buttons\"

@LegendWeaver:

> lol
> Do you mean make their own sprite? Then yes because you can make your own character already.(Whats the point of a mmorpg if you can't make your own char)

no i was talking about playing editting how their character will look when they play

@Godlord:

> Install [ELI](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,50015.0.html).
>
> Regards,
>   Godlord.

Thanks.

@MrMiguuâ„¢:

> So true… I find it funny that people don't pay attention to the errors that Eclipse gives them.
>
> Let me break it down:
> "ActiveX component can't create object."
> 1\. ActiveX is trying to make something graphical (assuming it's from a .OCX) and it is unable to. That has to mean that the .OCX is it trying to read is corrupted or in the wrong spot, so it can't find it. That is the most thorough explanation I can give you people.

Well, unlike your godlike self, I don't claim to know much about developing game engines and programs.  So, I see an error that I don't understand, I ask about it.  Apparently, you expect non-devs know exactly what a bunch of computer jargon meants.  I'm not trying to flame here, but that seemed a little harsh for me asking a simple question.  I don't get why people get so anal about asking about simple stuff like that…

> I don't get why people get so anal about asking about simple stuff like that…

That's mainly because there are stickies, which are located in various boards, and one of these stickies is called "[RTE] The Bugs & Errors Guide" which contains various solutions for your run-time error and which also links you to various topics about ELI, which is also a solution, a recommended solution actually.

Regards,
  Godlord.

@Godlord:

> That's mainly because there are stickies, which are located in various boards, and one of these stickies is called "[RTE] The Bugs & Errors Guide" which contains various solutions for your run-time error and which also links you to various topics about ELI, which is also a solution, a recommended solution actually.
>
> Regards,
>   Godlord.

I actually laughed out load at this! Thank you Godlord for clarifying this for him. I am personally sorry, Spirit.of.the.Dawn, for snapping at you. I tend to loose my patience sometimes, so you might have to excuse my absurd behavior.

Hey miguu, could you give me a hand?
Its about player spawn, even if i change the class spawn and w/e it keeps spawning down corner (at the first tile), so at first i didn't care about it, but now i see that i can't get back up to the platforms because when i refresh the char it just goes back.
Here's a pic of what's happening.
PD: Sorry if my English is bad, im Mexican lol.
http://i26.tinypic.com/2qdna04.png