Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is your favorite game engine?

Helladen

I'm curious as to what people's favorite game engine is. This will list the most popular ones that come off from the top of my head, so your favorite engine may not make my list.

Discuss this topic and tell us why it is your favorite engine.

**P.S: **I'm biased by putting my own engine, so be it. :)

Eclipse is fun just because it's Eclipse  and this is the Eclipse community.

Outside of that however, The AppGameKit is pretty great if you use Tier II development in C++, currently fiddling with this.

I'm also quite the fan of Torque 2D/3D and some not so much engines but DragonFireSDK and MarmaladeSDK.

People are going to kill me for it, but hey, whatever.

I'd have to say the Winds Nocturne engine that Robin sold back around Christmas of what..010, maybe less? I had so much fun with that engine, and it had EVERYTHING. Conversations, resources, quests, it was rather buggy but it had everything compared to a time when you were lucky to have a quest system within your game. Was awesome for me.

Well, an unbiased vote would still be bias, unless you actually take the time like I am to type about all of them.

Eclipse Origins, all versions:

1. I loved 2.0, As Zesh said. "Nice, simple, clean. A great base." I would vote this engine alone, knowing what I know in VB6\. However it's not as easy for Non-VB6'ers to work with, to add their own features unless they first grab the IDE and then take the time to learn it.
2. I feel that 2.3 and 3.0 hindered performance, with the added features, a great Event System, however; both versions really lacked optimization and my computer never got along with DX8 in 3.0.
3. I like the features and performance of 4.0, I call it a highly modded & optimized 3.0\. Although it's closed source and to be honest, it's not very easy to make a closed source game feel much different than any other on that engine. The engine runs at a steady 32 locked FPS for me and it's DX8.

Eclipse Stable, including older versions:

Old school version, I can not say much about Stable, I only have used EE 2.7\. Its scripting system was great for new users to learn the syntax and commands of VB, didn't have the IDE? No problem, just open up main.txt, of course with its limitations, you could still do alot with the commands that were in the source. Though the packet handler was choppy, connections would drop or lag as soon as they log in. Features were half fixed or half bugged. It just wasn't a clean out of the box product. Should you want sadscript back? I prefer using Steins Eclipse Dawn.

Eclipse Worlds:

Here's another engine I would vote on alone, its added features to the base. (Which personally I did not give this engine much of a ride. Had no reason or motivation to.) So I can only judge by what I've seen from when I was Seth's very short term mapper. Lolol. The up for this is that its open source. This engine also caches map rendering so that it runs at the locked 32 FPS for me, and its DX8.

Xtreme Worlds:

Never tried it, can't CC or vote it.

Construct 2:

I looked at it and I messed with a tutorial on it, it seems like it would be a cool engine, but I don't know enough on it to vote it.

Game Maker:

RPG Maker:

I've only tried XP, from what I can say is that I love the fact that its a single player engine, however I dislike the fact that the tilesets are limited to 256px Width, and that every map has to have a different tileset, it makes for map transitioning to fail hard unless you combine all of the tilesets together to make a mega tileset. I don't know Ruby too well, but from what I saw, it looked like something I could get into, given the time and patience. Not something I can really vote on being a favorite.

Unreal:

Unity3D:

I downloaded this, installed this, opened this and closed this as quick as I typed this. I did not give this engine too much of a chance so I can't CC or vote it.

• 5 months later...