Robin

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Robin:

> @Sealbreaker:
>
> > I hope you won't release it with the gui included… There are already enough lazy ass guys using standard-gui's -.-
> > But nice to see progress :D
> >
> > -seal
>
> Why else would I make the GUI?

To say, " look what i have and you don't "

@Zetasis:

> Gah! Okay Robin, now I gotta go find photoshop and look up some tutorials. I know you may think your GUI isn't that impressive but honestly I think it is the best I've ever seen IMO.

As with everything else, tutorials can only teach you certain nuances. Just jump in and start creating what you want. You'll eventually teach yourself. That's what I did. Regarding the GUI, my graphical skills are a pale imitation of Seb and Rory's work. The best I can do is emulate their style and mix it up a bit with my own take on things. It's the same as my programming and design skills; I'm a novice. Basing your opinion of my skills relative to the general Eclipse standard is silly considering the horrible standards which have been prevalent around here these last few years.

@Magnata550:

> I wondered already have a date for new version of Eclipse V1.1.1 origins and whether this new version will have the DX8

I've said it many times before; it'll be released when it's released. I'm not going to limit myself to a date. Will it be d3d8? No. It never will be. You lot struggle getting my dynamic character sprite system to work. Imagine having texture size constraints. You'd drown.

@Robin:

> As with everything else, tutorials can only teach you certain nuances. Just jump in and start creating what you want. You'll eventually teach yourself. That's what I did. Regarding the GUI, my graphical skills are a pale imitation of Seb and Rory's work. The best I can do is emulate their style and mix it up a bit with my own take on things. It's the same as my programming and design skills; I'm a novice. Basing your opinion of my skills relative to the general Eclipse standard is silly considering the horrible standards which have been prevalent around here these last few years.

That's how I've been learning. Studying the styles I adore and emulating. I think it becomes an easier task when you have a fundamental knowledge though. I see myself becoming an accomplished pixel and ui artist long before a programmer. Shop looks like sex btw.

@semlemsushi:

> I bet you guys the buttons don't have click down animations just flat style.

I was the person who created the original code which allowed for animated buttons with sound effects through the UDT array system. Think before you speak, kid.

^ -_-".

Let me rephrase that then.

On a thread where I asked a question on how to change the GUI in EO, Robin said to me that he was going to change it so that it would be like EE/ES, etc, so it can be graphically changed, rather than requiring VB.

> Next release will include external image loading for the GUI.

My question is, is there anything that is currently hard-coded into the source that is going to be removed, and changed into a thing that does not require VB, but still works the same way anyway, ie, scripting returning, etc.

@franqetesh:

> Did someone **understood** this? xD

You can talk.

Cleaned up the spam yet again. Gonna start handing out warnings soon, guys.

@Mijumaru!:

> ^ -_-".
>
> Let me rephrase that then.

Don't listen to those idiots. I understood your original post just fine.

@Mijumaru!:

> On a thread where I asked a question on how to change the GUI in EO, Robin said to me that he was going to change it so that it would be like EE/ES, etc, so it can be graphically changed, rather than requiring VB.
>
> My question is, is there anything that is currently hard-coded into the source that is going to be removed, and changed into a thing that does not require VB, but still works the same way anyway, ie, scripting returning, etc.

**Short answer;** No.

**Long answer;** Having the GUI external isn't there to make it easier for people to use it. The previous few releases had the GUI made up entirely of GDI controls so I could easily scale the client to my liking. I didn't want to have to spend hours re-drawing the GUI in Photoshop every time I added something new. Now that I've got to the point where I'm happy with the structure I want to add a nice GUI to make Origins look nicer.

Loading it externally cuts down on the compiled executable's filesize by a _lot_. Copying & pasting your GUI into the form then compiling will store all the GUI graphics as BMP and they'll bloat up the executable to several mBs. Having them externally means I can save them as JPG (Saving as high quality). This cuts several mBs off the filesize and also makes it much easier to update the GUI through the autoupdater I released.

Scripting is something completely different. It's slow, limited and has absolutely no use at all. I've already given my reasons for not adding scripting several times. To make a long story short; If you're using scripting, you're a lazy bastard who doesn't understand how to create a game. You shouldn't be fucking around with the live server's mechanics whilst people are playing. That's the only use scripting has.

Each release should be thought out and planned. You should develop the game not on the live server, but on a separate development server which the developers have access to. Then you can take down the live server for an hour or so and upgrade everything to the new release.

Not only that, but one of the first things I did when I came back to Eclipse was post some research I'd done. Turns out the vbScript system old versions of Eclipse use is **800% slower** that hard-coding. That was just a few basic calculations as well. When your server is constantly parsing script, it's going to slow the game right down. Hell, you can see that straight away by just running Origins. It's runs soo much better than any other version ever has. In the end, the only people who aren't using Origins are those who rely on the outdated website for information (Something I'm going to rectify with a brand new design after I get the new Origins out) or those who're too lazy to work with something new and are scared of change.