Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse Origins v2 Beta

Robin

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm saying that one of the biggest things that I think is wrong with the engine at the moment is the fact is uses BMPs. This means it's impossible to anti-alias or use alpha for shadows, not to mention the fact a game using BMPs will be at least 3 times heavier to download than a game with PNG graphics.
It's just about time an engine was released with DX8\. I'd even be willing to pay for it, and I think I've read before that there will be a developer's version of CS released?

You're really claiming that the fact that Origins cannot load PNG images is what's stopping you using alpha channels? -_-

Origins' graphics engine is like this for a reason. DD7 is easy to use. And I'm not talking about me programming it, I mean for the person using the software. You can have all the fantastic dynamic systems I created which means making a game with it is piss easy. If file size is an issue then just run your graphics through a compression utility or just add a PNG loader.

To put it bluntly, most of the people on this forum are too stupid to understand how to add graphics to the current version. They wouldn't be able to do anything in DX8.

But yes, there is a developer's edition of Crystalshire coming out soon. Read the latest news post on the site.

But if I remember correctly Eclipse was released under the GNU-GPL? Excuse me if I'm incorrect, but I thought this means that _if a compiled code is released for the end-user, that the source code of the client must also be released to them_? The source client is to be made available for download as soon as the compiled client is.

Also, since the client was made available without fee, it would be illegal to try and sell the source client, or to make it any harder to get than it is to get the compiled client (this would include having to become a paid-VIP on a forum).

_Under GPL the source should already be available for free download **now**_. It would be illegal to try and sell the source client since the compiled is already released for free; it would also be illegal to withhold the source any longer (indeed it's illegal to hold the source currently.)

Of course maybe I'm wrong and it isn't under GPL, but to my memory it was released under GPL. So, the source client is to be released now, free of charge.

I'm the creator. No matter what license I put in place for it I'm allowed to do whatever the hell I want with it. The license is only binding to you, the end user.

And it's not released under GPL. If you go read the license, which is easily accessible through the 'News' forum or the 'LICENSE.TXT' file in the download, then you'll find out what you're allowed to do and what you're not allowed to do.

Again though, this is _my game engine._ Surprisingly it is not illegal for me to do whatever the hell I want with that which I have created.

I honestly have no idea what you're trying to prove by posting in this thread. If you're not happy with the engine then don't use it. Simple as that. Move on and use something else. Sitting here trying to make out that one of my other projects is illegal is just sad.

I'm almost certain that Elysium was released under GPL, and one way or another Eclipse was based on the source of Elysium, was it not?

Also;

> I'm the creator.

> Again though, this is my game engine. Surprisingly it is not illegal for me to do whatever the hell I want with that which I have created.

Eclipse being based on Mirage? _You did not create the entire engine,_ you just edited a source code that you downloaded which was in public domain, and to my knowledge, released under GPL..

Besides my original point,

> Sitting here trying to make out that one of my other projects is illegal is just sad.

Your project (game client, and your website) uses graphics owned, copyrighted by Enterbrain. I don't see credit given anywhere on your site (haven't played your game, but that would be beside the point) to Enterbrain for using their sprites.
Hell your game uses their character portraits, tilesets, character sprites, item icons.. using these without credit is illegal, and trying to sell them as part of a commercial (profit-making) engine, is most definitely illegal.

Just thought I would clear you up on that.

@Diagothan:

> I'm almost certain that Elysium was released under GPL, and one way or another Eclipse was based on the source of Elysium, was it not?
>
> Also;Eclipse being based on Mirage? _You did not create the entire engine,_ you just edited a source code that you downloaded which was in public domain, and to my knowledge, released under GPL..

My work is _not_ based off of Elysium. Although that wouldn't change anything as Sean released Elysium in to the public domain. True, some of the later versions of Elysium were released with GPL. You know who'd have to sue me because of that? Emily. The girl I do my youtube video series with and the person who's currently part of the Crystalshire development team. I don't think I'm going to get internationally sued by her any time soon.

Origins is based off Mirage Online. I have permission from Consty, the original programmer, to do what I like with it. He is fully credited for his original creation, as is Shannara, Jake and Dmitry, the only three people who've done any alteration to the source code apart from me. Not to mention that I was one of the developers of Mirage Source and the administrator of the community.

I really don't need to explain any of this, however, as you're basing your entire argument on the fact that I'm using something which has nothing to do with this project at all. So well done. Next time you want to try and claim that I'm breaking a license you might want to find out the name of the fucking game I'm using as a base. Maybe then you can go find the license and actually check if I'm breaking it, rather than just making a wild guess.

@Diagothan:

> Besides my original point,Your project (game client, and your website) uses graphics owned, copyrighted by Enterbrain. I don't see credit given anywhere on your site (haven't played your game, but that would be beside the point) to Enterbrain for using their sprites.
> Hell your game uses their character portraits, tilesets, character sprites, item icons.. using these without credit is illegal

> **Website:**
> Crystalshire is a visually stunning game mostly thanks to the work of the various artists who created the graphics we use. Crystalshire's landscape tiles and characters sprites were all created by Enterbrain, Lunarea, MACK and Celianna. The graphical user interface (GUI) was created by Rory and Robin and the maps were created by Anna, Robin and Sebastian.
>
> **Client:**
> – Graphical Contributors --
> Lunarea - Tiles. Fantastic free-to-use RMVX edits & customs.
> Celiana - Tiles. Same as above. Also has some nice facesets.
> Enterbrain - Pretty much everything to do with the ingame graphics.

NEXT.

@Diagothan:

> and trying to sell them as part of a commercial (profit-making) engine, is most definitely illegal.
>
> Just thought I would clear you up on that.

I am not selling them as part of a commercial engine. In fact, I have released _absolutely no information at all_ about my commercial engine. All I've told people is that it'll be based on the Crystalshire game engine and that it'll be released through the supporter system.

I suggest you wait till I actually release some sort of solid facts about what resources I'll be using before blindly claiming that I'm doing it illegally. You're just making yourself look like a tit.

@Robin:

> -snip-
> I suggest you wait till I actually release some sort of solid facts about what resources I'll be using before **blindly** claiming that I'm doing it illegally. You're just making yourself look like a tit.

I'm insulted. Trollface.jpg.

I was wondering when will this version officially be out of beta?

• 1 month later...
@Robin:

> I don't have a commercial engine in the works.

Ah, I was confused by this:

@Robin:

> In fact, I have released _absolutely no information at all_ about my commercial engine. All I've told people is that it'll be based on the Crystalshire game engine and that it'll be released through the supporter system.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
@Death's:

> I got a question … how do i put a script in the game... i alreaddy have a script....

Although there isn't a scripting engine in this version, scripting is not that much different than source coding.
Get your hands on VB6 if you need to and look around.
Your script can probably be placed and simply called, or you may need to modify existing code.
If you are even a moderate scripter, source edits should come as quite easy to adapt to.
Just keep alot of backups in case you botch the whole thing. :P

• 1 month later...