Find results in...

Eclipse Origins v2 Beta

Robin

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Helladen:

> I was wondering why you were using longs for everything, so are integers a waste to do entirely then?

It's always more fun if you make up an answer yourself!

In this case… mhhh... how about: "Because Jupiter is aligned with Venus in the third partition"?

@MrMiguu:

> With words like "I dont like the way" and "This is how my game does it"? I don't think so. Those are commanding words. He was being far too assertive to be suggestive.

No it was sugessions but also at the same time I would like to know why he uses longs. I checked my my packets compare to his even his mapdata everything is a long most of mine are bytes. So before the packet is written im already saving over a two thirds of data, this is before its written to the main buffer which is also a long.

When I said that this is how I do it cause it is only stating a fact. That's not commanding lol. I think if I was being commanding Robin would have alot more to say then what he did.

@MrMiguu:

> @Morris I couldn't exactly find the right adjectives to use. My apologies.

:). No need, i just genuinly wanted to find out why he used longs for all his packets.

I think the main reason being its 32-Bit and its faster. 16-Bit and 8-Bit are slower and less used on win32 functions. Most functions use 32-bit as there faster. But increasing the packet size by lots i dont see the increase to much.

Why do it like this? Store the players index into an array, only loop for the total amount of players online.

MS4 done this time ago, ok it didnt work to well as he removed all the checks for isplaying, also its poor to change the array live in a loop cause lots of errors but if you make sure loops are finsihed and update at end of loop its fine. for it to loop 100 times for 10 players online is weak

@MarkMorris:

> Why do it like this? Store the players index into an array, only loop for the total amount of players online.
>
> MS4 done this time ago, ok it didnt work to well as he removed all the checks for isplaying, also its poor to change the array live in a loop cause lots of errors but if you make sure loops are finsihed and update at end of loop its fine. for it to loop 100 times for 10 players online is weak

It might just be easier to work with is all. I personally have rewrote all constants in the source and optimized the packets except the headers. It just annoys me having so many long constants. Even though these type of programs were designed to be ran on programs in 1998, if you try doing this in a more recent type of engine such as .NET, it's going to be a huge memory sink.

@thezeus:

> I noticed the mention of guilds has been removed in the to-do and isnt in the notes.  Have you decided to leave this to us to add?  That isn't a problem, but was interested in knowing.

Since there are so many ways to make guild systems he left it up to us

i wasnt sure were to post this so i think the best place would be here. so anyways, eclipse seem's to becoming a great engine, i remember when a lot of people would laugh at the word of a game built on similar engines, now it's really starting to look like something professional. but one thing bothers me. how come there are no attack animations? i think there should be an attack animation for melee (1h and 2h) , ranged, and of course magic. i'm not saying that i wouldnt attempt to put it in myself, but i really feel that it would contribute to eclipse's professional feel and quality. anyways, just a suggestion.

Having character sprites use multiple animations requires you having a character spritesheet with multiple animations. The stock RMXP work I ship with Origins doesn't have it and most other generic sets which are popular don't either.

It's a very personal system you can easily add for yourself.