Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favor The Gods

Mikekan13

Doesn't look like I am going to hit the deadline for the pre-alpha. Probably going to be another week or so. I know it sucks.

Here is my list of things I have left straight from my development text file:

Before Pre Alpha
–-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moving up/down layers:
-Change climb collision
-Ceiling collision
-Server validation of layer change and collisions

Block building:
-Check for other player and block collision before building
-Server confirmation of valid build and send to other clients
-Check for left or right click when building
-Building fail msg at buildack
-Destroy block**** right click to destroy for now?

Rendering:
-Optimize rendering(only render blocks that are viewable)
-Shadows -- all sorts of fucked up
-Optimize Dx8 texture loading and unloading
-Redo movement smoothing

Misc:
-Exit Option for fullscreen  (just press esc to close for now)
-change range function to work with any position instead of just player

Bugs:
-If player moves quickly back and forth between cells then shit gets fucked up
-Server warp hack check not working
-Player facing gets messed up sometimes

I would also like to have at least 7 or so different tiles so it isn't all the same looking. Most of the code is simple stuff. Only big thing is the rendering optimize. Probably a night or two for that maybe 3 nights for everything else and a night for some graphics.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ran into a few more bugs, and a bug I have been ignoring has finally come to bite me in the ass:

> -If player moves quickly back and forth between cells then shit gets ducked up

I really wish I was ready for the pre-alpha but I am going to have to redo a lot of stuff. Might be longer than expected but I swear I will give you guys something by the mid of this month–bugs or no bugs. One good thing is I cleaned up my rendering a lot and managed to get back up to 40+ fps on my computer. I have also stopped messing with shadows for now and I will probably leave them out for the pre-alpha. Main focus is that bug and I have looked quite hard for it. I am going to rewrite the packets for movement tomorrow as they are messy and might be the issue.

Well the good news is I think I have killed the bug of doom as I was calling it. I have to still test everything with the climbing engine re enabled but I think it is dead. I have a handful of smaller bugs to stomp and for some reason I can't get my warp hacking check to work right. In the process of killing the bug I re-wrote my movement packets and some of my server-client sync. I am rather proud of it. I am by no means a great or even good programmer but the server and client sync is really good; I tested it from a few different computers/connections and no matter the fps or ping the server and clients tick counter stay in a perfect sync.

A couple things are bothering me right now. The first is over-complicating the controls. Currently I have the 4 movement keys, run key, attack key, guard key. I currently handle climbing based on simply location–if you are near a wall and continue to walk into it then the character starts to climb up the wall. I am not quite satisfied with this and I am hesitant to add another button for climbing as I will probably need one for jumping and some other things.

The second concern is with the way I cut away blocks so you can see behind them. I can't think of a practical and good looking way of doing this. Currently I make any blocks--within a small range--on the same level as you transparent and any blocks higher than you disappear completely. It is functional but I don't really like the way it looks. I would love to have it just cutaway everything when you are in an enclosed area and when you are outside of one it would just make the walls semi transparent and anything within would not be shown. I have no Idea how this could be programed though since you can build in any way. You could have an "enclosure" within an "enclosure".  I might drop a couple screenshots to show how the current cutaway system works. Just wanted to get some feedbacks and different ideas on these two things.

> Looking amazing!

> This game looks awesome :D I would for sure like to test it

> Those screenies are amazing.

Thanks for the praise. I need it right now :P

The big bad bug isn't totally gone as if you change a layer and fall at the same time it rears its ugly head again. basically the server is sending the new cells to the client but the client has already moved either down a layer or back to its old cell or to a corner cell close to it. It is a lot of checking to see where the client is and where he was and sorting each block to where it needs to go. Gets very confusing when you trow in a 3rd dimension. Hopefully by tomorrow I will have it completely fixed and the world streaming will be 100% bug free. Then I can get back on track and get something for you guys to mess with.

Ok bug is gone! Yay!

Just added jumping too. Need to clean it up and I think I am going to sort of merge jumping and climbing together a bit. Sort of like jump up a cliff then grab on and then jump up a bit more till you get to the top. Once that is done I need to work on a few packets for when a player leaves or enters your range and then I should be ready to let you guys break it :)

> How do we know if we made the testing?

Anyone that sent me a pm will be testing. I still have a few spots too. As far as progress goes:

Decided to add a chat system–almost done with it. Just some loose ends to tie up and I will be done with all the pre-alpha stuff. A few more days at best. I decided the pre-alpha is only going to last a couple days. At which point I will take the server down and work on any bugs found.

After those bugs are fixed I will put the server up and leave it open to the alpha testers. However the server will be constantly going up and down as I add new features and fix bugs. This will go on until I add all the main systems. At which point I will open it completely up for the beta. I estimate that from alpha to beta will probably take most of the summer and maybe a bit into the fall. I am hoping to have this thing in a solid beta by the end of October so I can play Skyrim, Dark Souls, BF3\. :)  Once in beta I will most likely port over to a different language. (C# maybe Java)

• 2 weeks later...
Haven't touched the code in awhile. Had some personal things come up. It is ready for the pre-alpha I just haven't had the time to clean up a couple things and get it up. Plus I wan't to have time to work on the game during the pre-alpha so I am waiting till I get through these personal issues. Don't worry, Favor the Gods isn't going anywhere. Sorry for the long wait.