Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favor The Gods

Mikekan13

Everything is running smoothly for the pre-alpha.  Going to spend another 5 or so days on coding and then switch gears to artwork till the 29th and the 30th is looking like the start of the pre-alpha. At which time I will probably pick up to 20 people to test for a few weeks. During that time I will probably inject more elements into the game and will try to get a good feeling of bugs and hiccups. Right now I have 6 people signed up and I really would like at least 15\. If I get more signups then spots I will base those 20 spots on how soon you signed up and your computer/connection speed/location. I want to get a good field of people so I will need people with crappy machines and connections too. Please though, at least have a connection speed of 1.0 mbps or higher.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better quality image now with double the blocks (lol):
![](http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/Mikekan13/ex2-1.png)
Also added some shading to that little white baby thing so he doesn't look so out of place. :P
Still trying different things with the shadow system; I will post something once it is presentable.

That is what it looks like right now. I obviously have no gui yet and that character is strictly placeholder. The two tiles shown are a good indication of what the tiles will look like. There will be quite a few different tile types and variations of each though. The real time shadows will add alot too. I am thinking about what I want to do with the background when you are several layers up and the ground doesnt fill the screen. probably a big sky box or something. but I have to cater it to wheter or not the player is underground or outside so I havent figured out how I want to do that yet.

I started using Eclipse Origins. I made alot of the features for the game. Item crafting, building, destruction. But I wanted the game to be iso and have alpha trans and other features of dx8\. So I started to convert the engine over to dx8\. Eventually I scraped the whole thing and downloaded the latest eo. With that I cut everything out except the packet system. I still have the old version for reference on what I did with the old systems but I am mostly just rewritting it so it is more efficent anyways. So technically this game isnt EO at this point.

Edit: Actually if a moderator sees this and wants to move it to the Non-eclipse engine board then I guess that would probably make more sense. Makes no difference to me.

You can! I suck at programming! I procrastinate too much and often I just sit and stare at code for hours. I suck at math even more. Really I have no buisiness coding. I just have a passion for making games so I grind away. I am an artist at heart. Anyone can code with enough brute force (slamming head on keyboard and trying different things over and over again.) If I was better at coding this thing would be much further along. Practice makes perfect!

Edit:

> :o I love it. It is looking quite nice.

Where is my manners. Thank you!

> I think you should have stairs and ladders rather than jumping. It seems like this game has LOTS of potential, so keep it up.

I plan having both–bridges too. You would have to build those things though and climbing would be like the quick less efficient ladder/stairs. I guess jumping, if I add it, would be the quick bridge.

> Is this game going to be more like Minecraft or HnH, because based on the features this game seems like both.

It is inevitable that people will make those comparisons and it does share some concepts from both. Rpg elements will be there unlike Minecraft. However all statistics are kept hidden from the player and the main focus will be on "leveling" the community instead of individual skills and stats–skills and stats are still there though. The survival is a large part of it too; you will be required to maintain good health, take care of wounds, and eat properly. Even things like having to stay warm/cool in extreme temperatures could make it to the final product. Basically to answer your question,  It isn't more Minecraft or more H&H. Also just for a frame of reference. I really don't like H&H. I think it is more convoluted, cluttered and clunky than it needs to be. I have only played a little bit of Minecraft and I enjoyed what I did experience. So both games aren't particularly influencing me as I have only a little experience of both and one of them I didn't enjoy.

> Kind of a big question that I've wondering about, Is the building stuff going to be available in the pre-alpha?

You will be able to place some blocks but the system for building won't be there. Basically in the full game you would have to take materials and use the crafting system to make parts and then take the parts to make the blocks of buildings. I don't have the crafting system in place yet so it will basically just be choose what block you want to place where. The destruction of blocks will be similar unless I can finish the combat system before the end of the month.

@Mikekan13:

> You will be able to place some blocks but the system for building won't be there. Basically in the full game you would have to take materials and use the crafting system to make parts and then take the parts to make the blocks of buildings. I don't have the crafting system in place yet so it will basically just be choose what block you want to place where. The destruction of blocks will be similar unless I can finish the combat system before the end of the month.

oh ok

Hopefully by the end of the night I will work out this last bug with the world streaming. I was going to focus on some graphical things like shadows but I think maybe I should work on a feature that matters and isn't graphical. I will let you guys decide what set I should work on next.

**List for Poll:**

Character
–-------------------------------------------
_-Skills and stats
-Teaching and learning system
-Combat system
-Wounds, sickness and health system
-Fatigue and food system
-Karma (God Hood and god powers)_

Items/Structures
–-------------------------------------------
_-Material system
-Item system
-Inventory
-Item and structure crafting_

World and AI
–------------------------------------------
_-World generation
-Plant system
-Animal system_

Voted for: "None of these: make it more pretty!"

Reason: Although I think you should be coding features, you already have a ton of great features for a pre-alpha stage. Therefore, I would like you to focus on graphics! >:]

Regards,
Païn

> Reason: Although I think you should be coding features, you already have a ton of great features for a pre-alpha stage. Therefore, I would like you to focus on graphics! >:]

Not really. All you can do is walk around place blocks and remove blocks. Don't you want to do something more than that? :P

Stomped that bug only to find another one.  :mad: Shouldn't be too hard to fix this one though. I already see what it is I just don't want to do the math tonight to fix it. Gives you guys some more time to vote on the poll. Might work on some tiles before I go to bed.

Edit: I also played with the shadows some and my computer is reaching its limit. If I set my layer view range to max (11) and turn shadows on in full screen 1024x768 then my fps goes down to about 12-15.
Looks like I am going to have to find a way to get a new pc soon. Sucks to have to scale down the graphic settings of your own game :P