Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favor The Gods

Mikekan13

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chugging along slowly but surely. I have been trying to make the game as precise and fluent as possible. Trying to learn as much about interpolation and online physics. For a normal mmorpg being so precise isn't that important but FTG has things like simple physics, guns, etc. Really wish I had help coding this beast sometimes. I am so disorganized and bad at coding I doubt anyone would be willing or able to help anyways. Sorry I don't have anything to show yet. Basically this is like a sad apology.  Sorry I am so slow and suckish at coding. Should have stayed in school. :P Oh well. It will happen when it happens.  :cheesy:

@Mikekan13:

> Chugging along slowly but surely. I have been trying to make the game as precise and fluent as possible. Trying to learn as much about interpolation and online physics. For a normal mmorpg being so precise isn't that important but FTG has things like simple physics, guns, etc. Really wish I had help coding this beast sometimes. I am so disorganized and bad at coding I doubt anyone would be willing or able to help anyways. Sorry I don't have anything to show yet. Basically this is like a sad apology.  Sorry I am so slow and suckish at coding. Should have stayed in school. :P Oh well. It will happen when it happens.  :cheesy:

Imo, your doing epicly.  No one on eclipse besides robin and other devs(baron, Marsh, etc.) have your skill i'd say.

• 3 months later...
This hasn't died. I have recently come back to the code this last month and have been working with more of a hobby time frame. Cleaned up the code and removed a lot of stuff. It is very confusing to come back to code months later; especially when you comment like me :). I have scraped most of the physics code that I had and redoing it. I implemented a new animation system so I could have dynamic frame numbers. Also looking into clock synchronizations between the server and the client so it will be more precise. I have deleted all the old code for inventory, crafting, ect. It was half assed anyways, and this time around everything is being drawn in d3d anyways. I was thinking about posting something on the recruitment boards for some help but: I am waiting for a job opening in the Air Force so I could leave at anytime and it might be months after that before I can start up again. I might still throw a thread up and see who is interested.

@Craselin:

> I like it,
> Especially the login part :D

Please note that all the graphics are still just placeholders for the moment. I won't start doing the real graphics until the engine is in at least a solid alpha state. The current graphics should only give you the idea of tone and general atmosphere of what the game will be like when finished. Glad you like it though.

So I figured I would give a little information about the Gods in Favor the Gods.

Hephaeonia: The beautiful and wise goddess of the machines. She symbolizes progress, technology and order. Her will is to remove randomness and chance from the equation; Duly she rewards diligence and subordination. To her devotees, machines are seen as an extension of her holy hive mind.

Pahneris: Most would call him a heathen god of old. Depicted with the imperfect flesh of man and wild features like antlers and cloven feet. To worship Pahn, as he is often referred as, is to worship the essence of chaos and growth. He is life and death-the breath of the world. To the followers of Hephaeonia he is but an ancient story to help explain the randomness of the world.

The polarities of the two gods, order and chaos, are apparent with the theme ever present in the game: nature vs technology. As players discover more about the exotic world they will see the lines between them are less solid.

Effect on game-play: Players will be able to align themselves to the gods of their choosing. Devotion towards a god can bring about miracles. Alternately, disobedience can result in punishment. In the beginning only the two main gods will be present but eventually new lesser gods will show their presence. The gods will effect the world largely. Example: open new paths of advancement, cause natural disasters, shape and change the earth. This will be ever present but players will not be forced to align with any god.

This also will provide the scenario for an "end game".  Players themselves have the potential to enlighten themselves in different planes of existence. The body of a player will always be reset upon death but the soul is something that never dies. There will be no visible stats or guides to help you on this path. Becoming enlightened in a plane will be the single hardest thing to accomplish in this game. Once a player is enlightened in their own plane they will gain a single god power and then will be allowed to travel to one other plane. If they continue to progress and enlighten themselves in that plane they may continue to yet another plane with a new unique god power. The powers will be permanent and will be the only thing that remains if a player dies. Powers will vary according to the alignment of the players current main god and that plane of enlightenment. Although it would be possible to enlighten yourself in every plane It would be nearly impossible and would probably take years in real life. (If that where to happen I would come up with something truly spectacular for that player.) This brings me to planes.

Planes are like parallel worlds or servers. A player will be able to choose which plane their character will play in during character creation. That character is then bound to that world until enlightenment. At which point they are able to choose another plane. They will be able to freely move to any plane they are enlightened in and presently bound to. Planes will be similar but each one will offer different things. Example: Certain animals, plant life, materials will be unique to certain planes. This will create interesting opportunities for players who can travel between worlds. They could transfer plane unique items and materials to different planes.

Becoming enlightened will mirror everything else in game-play. There will be no grinding towards a certain level or item. A player could simply log in one day and realize their avatar has become enlightened. Therefore the path is a mystery and even someone who is enlightened in a plane might only be able to offer guidance on how they did it. Enlightenment is not for everyone and many players may never obtain it even once. This is the end game, but it will truly never really end ;0

So I have been thinking about maybe adding another person to the team. Currently my other member (Musician/Programmer) is away. I have thought about it for a while. This project is my baby and has been for a long time. On one hand I really do want to get something out sooner than later, but on the other, I don't know if I wan't other people influencing the game. I have decided to at least put this out there. If you are seriously interested in this project and you have skills in either Sprites/Animations or in Programming then go ahead and send me a message on here. I am not promising anything but I am interested to at least see what an extra hand could offer.

• 2 weeks later...
@Dov:

> Hey there,
>
> did you make any progress last days? I've been watching this topic pretty often, but nothing changes much :p
>
> x
> Dov

I have had good progress, but it isn't really anything I can show or is particularly "exciting". Mostly rewriting things and cleaning up code to make it run smoother. Once the engine is in ship shape things will move really quickly as then it will just be plugging in systems I have already written or at least pseudo coded. Also please remember that it is just me working on this right now and I am really an artist who is decent at coding. A lot of times I write my code and then realize how terrible it is latter–so I am constantly re-doing stuff. To gauge my progress I can tell you that since my last post I have decreased the overhead of the movement system: (packets sent from client per second from 20 to around 13). The bytes sent per second are around 400 and this should go down even more once I change the packet system a little bit. (400 estimate is if someone is changing their direction like a monkey on crack) Anyways, that stuff seems boring to post on here.

I am glad you are interested in FtG though!

I am working very hard! Fixed the bug I had and I am currently reworking the way it handles the world. It was really messy code. I am very anxious to show off what I have. (even though it isn't much). My computer is really shitty and any of the video capture software I can find is very lagy. I am considering putting up a pre-pre-alpha just to show off the base engine. There would be almost nothing to do. You could log on move around the world, destroy blocks, create blocks, move through layers. Plus it would give me a chance to test a few things I can't do locally. Anyways, I will think about it while I iron out the new world code.