Find results in...

Favor The Gods

Mikekan13

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> The story could use some work. I like the sig

The story is intentionally vague and I have posted only a small bit of what I have written down on purpose. The game will be more atmosphere/lore based than story heavy.
Glad you like the sig. I actually have a flash movie of that sig which is animated. (the sun and moon cycles around and the sky changes night to day. I made it for the website before I decided to take it down.

> I prefer the one you used before though.

The computer terminal with overgrowth or the first island tree thing?
–--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I am going to shoot for a limited pre-alpha with about 15-20 spots. I am going to draw a few blocks and graphics for it. Not anything too grand but just a little something so it isn't all crappy 5 second drawn grass. I need to fix a few more things with the engine before this. (layer scrolling has a weird bug when I go to the maximum or lowest height, and I am going to tweak the shadows.) Also my computer is now only able to run the game at 15 fps. I have a really shit computer, six year old dell, so don't worry about performance. I am going to try and optimize it a little more but I think I am just hitting the limit with this junk.

Anywho! If you are interested in helping with the pre-alpha then send me a pm on here with a short description of yourself, specs of your computer, connection speed. What area of the world you live in would be nice too. Not sure how many people will be interested in this so I am going to try and screen it a bit and get a broad range of cpu types and locations.

@snowstorm
@Mikekan13:

> If you are interested in helping with the pre-alpha then send me a pm on here with a short description of yourself, specs of your computer, connection speed. What area of the world you live in would be nice too.

I have been working really hard so the pre-alpha is ready by the end of the month. I would say I am on track if not ahead of schedule. Played with shadows today and they really bogged my computer down so I might leave those out until I can think of a more efficient way to do them or I get a better pc :P. Currently trying to decide if I want to add jumping to the game. It might be an interesting feature but I'm not sure if it is integral to the over all game so i'm on the fence.  So I thought I would see what you guys and gals thought. Currently the player can climb up and fall down blocks. If I added the jump you could also potentially jump over holes. If it was set up then I would most likely go with a realistic jumping mechanic. ( you wouldn't control yourself in mid air). Do you guys think this feature is worth it?

Worked a couple minutes on a grass block. This is closer to what the final graphics will be like. This is with shadows turned off so you will just have to imagine them in. Also they are sharper but photobucket kills the quality.

>! ![](http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/Mikekan13/example2.png)

That will probably be the sprite for the pre-alpha. I might add some flare to it but the real sprite will be so vastly different. The actual sprites will be about a head taller and way more detailed and with a 7 frame walk instead of the 4 I have now. The sprites will have paper dolled features: hair face tattoos ect. I just wont have time to implement/draw all that before the pre-alpha.

@k722:

@Mikekan13:

> Anywho! If you are interested in helping with the pre-alpha then send me a pm on here with a short description of yourself, specs of your computer, connection speed. What area of the world you live in would be nice too. Not sure how many people will be interested in this so I am going to try and screen it a bit and get a broad range of cpu types and locations.

@Poll:

I wouldn't add jumping if I was you. If you do, there'll be a lot more questions: How far/high can a character jump. Can you jump over other characters?

Besides that, jumping makes players often able to reach certain places that shouldn't be reached. With that, alot of bugged places can be found as well in most games.

That is how I experience jumping in most games. Jumping is fun to do though. But unless you have a really good way of avoiding these problems, I'd suggest not to add jumping.

> I wouldn't add jumping if I was you. If you do, there'll be a lot more questions: How far/high can a character jump. Can you jump over other characters?
>
> Besides that, jumping makes players often able to reach certain places that shouldn't be reached. With that, alot of bugged places can be found as well in most games.
>
> That is how I experience jumping in most games. Jumping is fun to do though. But unless you have a really good way of avoiding these problems, I'd suggest not to add jumping.

Not that I have decided to add it yet but: How far/high a character can jump would be based on there skill and theoretically how much jumping they do. Ie: the more you jump the better you would get at it. However for the sake of realism it would be a very steep level curve and even the end results might only mean you could jump up two blocks and over maybe 2\.

As far as the case of getting places you are not supposed to be: Those don't exist in this world. You can go anywhere–break anything and climb anything with the right skills and items. The case I have against jumping is it is not much different than climbing except for being able to jump over holes. this I could see as a great thing because a hole could potentially be so deep you would be unable to fall or climb down it without dying. It would be quicker than building something to walk over the hole too. It has to look good and smooth though and that is the only worry I have. I am still on the fence about it. Worrying about getting all the quirks out of the streaming/building/destroying right now anyways.