Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Psithyroi Online

@Robin:

> Also, still haven't seen anything to do with an engine yet. Everyone loves mockups but if you don't actually have a game they're pretty much meaningless.

I said the same thing on their forums a few weeks ago. And you know what they did? They deleted my account. I made 2 posts, if you think I might've flamed/trolled anybody. ;p

I still think of Psithyroi as a game with extremely non-viable concepts, and a seemingly non-existent engine.
Except now, I think of it as a copy of Maple Story, too. ;D

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Kreator:

> Ew, major downgrade for the graphics.

" 2D Sprite & Tileset Artist, ", remove that if you cannot see it is an upgrade.

@Sealbreaker:

> yeah, +1 for old graphics from me too. They just looked great & unique… Now they look like all the rest of the crap out there. I don't see the point in going from unique (and easier to make) to "professional" crap-looking-maplestory-ish graphics that probably even take way longer to draw/pixel... Well, it's your decision so good luck on this. Btw why don't you post screens of the engine in action if it's actually done... throwing some crap together for testing purpose and showing off would get you some more serious attention.
>
> -seal

You can do a side by side comparison and see that it looks nothing like maplestory. Don't be ignorant and compare it to maplestory just because it is a slide scrolling game.

@mig:

> ![](http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/Alexanderthegreat91/whaface.png)

Go away.

@7:

> link=topic=72284.msg809644#msg809644 date=1317314195]
> I said the same thing on their forums a few weeks ago. And you know what they did? They deleted my account. I made 2 posts, if you think I might've flamed/trolled anybody. ;p
>
> I still think of Psithyroi as a game with extremely non-viable concepts, and a seemingly non-existent engine.
> Except now, I think of it as a copy of Maple Story, too. ;D

Actually you made an account to troll so we ask you nicely to stop, you did not so we banned you. What did you do? of course you call your friend to come also, so what did we do? We banned both of you. Don't come to our forums and post garbage, just go make your crappy game with those crappy graphics which you then gave up on making and used pre-made graphics.  ;)

–-----------------------
Nothing has ever came out of TOD with more than a hundred people constantly playing it.  Take a peek at all the other games out with a decent player base, they do not use rpgxp/vx graphics nor do they use vb anymore.

> Actually you made an account to troll so we ask you nicely to stop.

I asked if an engine existed. While it may have sounded harsh, I got a response, that it was in development. I only showed my friend, and he went and trolled. Not me. You did not ask me nicely to stop, you didn't even consider the fact that I did nothing. You just went and deleted my account.

> just go make your crappy game with those crappy graphics which you then gave up on making and used pre-made graphics.

At least my "crappy game" exists, with viable concepts. I gave up making the graphics, because I decided to be realistic, and time-aware of the fact it was taking me a while. Plus, I didn't like 'em anyway. ;D Oh, and by the way, your cliff tile doesn't tile properly.

Like how I underlined the keywords?
EDIT: Oh, and just wait 'til you see Gear. ;D

It seems any form of criticism you receive, you just dismiss/insult it. eg.

> " 2D Sprite & Tileset Artist, ", remove that if you cannot see it is an upgrade.

(BTW, Kreator is WAY better than that.)

> You can do a side by side comparison and see that it looks nothing like maplestory. Don't be ignorant and compare it to maplestory just because it is a slide scrolling game.

(Lol, yes it does.)

If you can't see that most of the people loved the old style and liked it more you're pretty ignorant to the playerbase. And they do look like maplestory. Just the proportions of the character etc. is so cliche and not unique. And now post some screens of the engine please and start listening to your players <.<

-seal

@Sealbreaker:

> If you can't see that most of the people loved the old style and liked it more you're pretty ignorant to the playerbase. And they do look like maplestory. Just the proportions of the character etc. is so cliche and not unique. And now post some screens of the engine please and start listening to your players <.<
>
> -seal

We actually do listen to our players and the ones that are apart of our community. Touch of death is not our community, just a forum filled with people whom enjoy making games or just starting stupid arguments. The team went through arguments and thoughts of this graphics change, this we did not ask our community for their opinion about it because we knew it was something that had to be done in order to give them all a better and more diverse environment to enjoy in the future.

You all may love the old graphics because it was something new, but sometimes we can't make everyone happy. Compare all you want, but Psithyroi will remain unique in its  very own way. As for the engine, I suppose you ask robin how long and hard it was to build eclipse from scratch or ask him why it takes him a long while to post any updates to his game Crystalshire. The engine is done; we have tested it; now we are trying to build the editor that will create the game Psithyroi. Once that is all done, you can all enjoy what you've been asking to see.

> We actually do listen to our players and the ones that are apart of our community. Touch of death is not our community, just a forum filled with people whom enjoy making games or just starting stupid arguments.

You don't have players yet. You have a fanbase, slight difference. Also, it's worth listening to any person you see, whether they know what they're on about, or not.

> The team went through arguments and thoughts of this graphics change, this we did not ask our community for their opinion about it because we knew it was something that had to be done in order to give them all a better and more diverse environment to enjoy in the future.
>
> You all may love the old graphics because it was something new, but sometimes we can't make everyone happy.

There's a difference in making some people unhappy, and near everybody unhappy.

> Compare all you want, but Psithyroi will remain unique in its  very own way.

It will only remain unique if you have the support of the fanbase behind you.

> As for the engine, I suppose you ask robin how long and hard it was to build eclipse from scratch or ask him why it takes him a long while to post any updates to his game Crystalshire.

Ultimately depends, and I understand that it may take a long while, it may not, but there's a difference between a concept and an engine. Psithyroi seems built entirely around concepts at the moment

> The engine is done; we have tested it

Well, where the hell are the videos, the screenshots, and so on?

> now we are trying to build the editor that will create the game Psithyroi. Once that is all done, you can all enjoy what you've been asking to see.

Good.

@Lightning:

> Unforturnately Nick, I haven't been seeing that. You make the game for your players, not for yourself.

What exactly have you not been seeing?

> You don't have players yet. You have a fanbase, slight difference. Also, it's worth listening to any person you see, whether they know what they're on about, or not.

All the same, they will become players once the game is out. I prefer saying players then fanbase.

> There's a difference in making some people unhappy, and near everybody unhappy.

Yeah, I already knew this. Like I said, we can't make everyone happy.

> Well, where the hell are the videos, the screenshots, and so on?

It will be released when it is ready obviously? Sorry we rather choose to work on the game then video previews at the moment. When we are done, we will make the videos. 

We respect all your opinions, please stop repeating what others have already said. Everything you request will be shown when we are ready to present them.

I know how much work it is by myself and I know the situation but if you describe the work of putting together test-stuff that you should've done to test the engine anyways  and starting fraps or any screen-recorder to actually show THAT something IS actually done engine-wise as something that is way too hard and not worth it then you got a serious problem. It's satisfieing your fanbase so they can tell you care about them and that they are up-to-date progress-wise… Up to you, i still look forward to testing this.
Good luck,

-seal

We are trying to get as much of the editors done as quickly as we can so we can start laying out the world. We realize not showing the engine at the moment might deter some of our fans, but the truth is making previews to show what we already said is done is just a waste of time. For now, graphic previews are going to have to be the main attraction.

About the graphics…
We realize not everyone will be in to the newer graphics. People on ToD are far more fond of pixelated graphics then drawn graphics because it is more unique. I've already said before that the art style of the game will try to stay unique in order to not be called a "Maple Clone." Before we mde the drawn graphics all of our graphics were based on Terraria, yet no one called us out on being a "Terraria Clone." People shouldn't be too worried about the graphics anyway, the more important aspect of the game is gameplay. Plenty of people have made MMO's with the oh so bland RMXP tiles, of course they might get more players if they had custom graphics, but the reason the people play it is because the gameplay is fun and addictive. Our team hopes to prove to everyone that our game will be unique to Maplestory and Wonderking and all the other sidescrollers in not just it's art style, but it's features. Our team is always thinking of new concepts to add in to the game. Of course they have to start out as a concept, just because it's a concept doesn't make it bad, it just means we are varying the pros and cons of whether or not we should be using the specific feature. We aren't trying to be a clone of any game. Now all you haters who want to push us down for trying to improve our game can go back to bashing some other game for being a "WoW Clone."

We started this thread because we wanted positive feedback and constructive criticism from the community. We've already heard your hating on the new graphics and we aren't going to change them back, so move on to the next critique or the topic wil just become locked again.

You lot really need to take a step back and look at this objectively.

We aren't your 'fans'. We aren't your 'players'. We're other developers who are giving you feedback on your project. We're not here to lick your arse and pat you on the head tell you you're doing an awesome job. That's the job of your players, and apparently they're doing a fantastic job of it because you lot have come back here with God complexes. We're here to point out when you do something wrong. In this cause we're saying the new graphics you're doing are wrong.

This has nothing to do with style or biased opinion. Your new graphics just look bad.

The painted graphics clash horribly with the pixel-based stuff you have in the foreground. The golem looks positively retarded because he's drawn badly and is supposedly made up of the ground - something which is done in a completely different style.

In the background you've got flowers drawing Photoshop by Wraith, from what I can see. On that golem you've got flowers drawn in MSPaint by Akatsuki, from what I can see.

_These styles do not match at all._ Wraith's style is nice for concept work. Hell, you might even be able to pull off a really nice game with that washed-out painted look. But when you start mixing it with the half-arsed pixel work then you've got problems. Major problems.

@IdoFreePixel:

> " 2D Sprite & Tileset Artist, ", remove that if you cannot see it is an upgrade.

Yes, because having an opinion obviously means you can't be an artist. You just lost the little amount of respect I had for you.

@IdoFreePixel:

> You can do a side by side comparison and see that it looks nothing like maplestory. Don't be ignorant and compare it to maplestory just because it is a slide scrolling game.

You're confusing ignorance with care. If the first thing people think of when they see your game is 'MapleStory' (and it obviously is, as you've had tons of people say it so far) then you've got a problem.

Claiming someone is ignorant for telling you their opinion then you should go hang out with Michael Jackson sometime.

@IdoFreePixel:

> Nothing has ever came out of TOD with more than a hundred people constantly playing it.  Take a peek at all the other games out with a decent player base, they do not use rpgxp/vx graphics nor do they use vb anymore.

YOU CAN'T INSULT MY GAME BECAUSE YOU LOT DON'T HAVE YOUR OWN GAMES. :((((((

@Akatsuki_1:

> We actually do listen to our players and the ones that are apart of our community. Touch of death is not our community, just a forum filled with people whom enjoy making games or just starting stupid arguments. The team went through arguments and thoughts of this graphics change, this we did not ask our community for their opinion about it because we knew it was something that had to be done in order to give them all a better and more diverse environment to enjoy in the future.

Glad to see your position as being a completely useless member of the team has taught you that horrific style of talking which _all_ useless managers have. Feel free to keep emphasising 'our', you really have a flare for it.

@Akatsuki_1:

> You all may love the old graphics because it was something new, but sometimes we can't make everyone happy. Compare all you want, but Psithyroi will remain unique in its  very own way. As for the engine, I suppose you ask robin how long and hard it was to build eclipse from scratch or ask him why it takes him a long while to post any updates to his game Crystalshire. The engine is done; we have tested it; now we are trying to build the editor that will create the game Psithyroi. Once that is all done, you can all enjoy what you've been asking to see.

Well if you add up all the months the engine has actually been developed then you'll come to about 6 months or so. Mirage was made in a month, Mirage Source was messed with from time to time by Shannara, Dmitry and Jacob spent a month or so jazzing it out with a new graphics engine and socket system, I then took this and spent about a month making Origins.

Of course, comparing an open-source engine I designed to be generic so _other people_ could make their games to a bespoke engine made specifically for your game and your game alone would be stupid, wouldn't it?

@Wraith:

> People on ToD are far more fond of pixelated graphics then drawn graphics because it is more unique.

We're far more fond of graphics which don't look bad.

@Wraith:

> I've already said before that the art style of the game will try to stay unique in order to not be called a "Maple Clone." Before we mde the drawn graphics all of our graphics were based on Terraria, yet no one called us out on being a "Terraria Clone."

Who called you a Maple Clone? We said it looks like Maple Story. If you can't remember when everyone said it looks like Terraria then you've got worse memory than me, and my memory is bloody terrible.

@Wraith:

> People shouldn't be too worried about the graphics anyway, the more important aspect of the game is gameplay.

Bullshit and you know it. Stylish graphics are a deal breaker when you're sat there all day staring at them.

@Wraith:

> Plenty of people have made MMO's with the oh so bland RMXP tiles, of course they might get more players if they had custom graphics, but the reason the people play it is because the gameplay is fun and addictive.

I've never found an MMO made with RMXP graphics which people actually played.

@Wraith:

> We started this thread because we wanted positive feedback.

There's your problem right there. If people don't like something then they don't like something. Sitting here arguing with people about why their opinion is wrong is just plain arrogant.

@Wraith:

> or the topic will just become locked again.

How about this, if you lot are so sore about people giving you feedback I can just remove the game from the community. Being on this forum is a privilege which gives you a huge amount of traffic. If you're going to throw a tantrum every time someone says they don't like how your game looks then that privilege can be removed.

I'll lock this thread in the meantime. Once you come to a decision as a group send me a PM.

• 6 months later...
Akatsuki here with a few updates ^^ and announcements.

It's been awhile since we last announced anything fun, and we're sorry for taking soo long. Though we have no plans of making another announcement anytime soon after this one, so I'll try not to leave anything out. As anyone might've noticed already, Indie Opportunity is no longer what we go by,instead we've made a change to JumpButton Studios. Why the change you may ask? well its simple, we are jumping forward in bringing the best within any games we develop, there's no way anyone can achieve something just by standing around.

**Company Overview**

JumpButton Studio is made up of 15 dedicated developers ranging from programmers, graphics artists, sound engineers ( still needed ), musicians, and illustrators. We mostly work on android and desktop games, most featuring online capabilities, however we also have some software under our belt.

There will be many challenges along the way, but there has not been anything we couldn't accomplish by working together and not only as a team, but a family. Working voluntary is not something we're forced upon, it is something we have chosen to dedicate ourselves to because we trust that what we're putting our time into will turn into something amazing in the future. Spending as much time as we can organizing and developing while talking about the most randomized topics you could ever think of.. such as food.. Everyone loves food, I hope.

We're opened to any developers who can liven up the chat, and communicate with everyone while knowing that he/she can still do what ever else they need to that is of higher priority or importance. We will never rush any of our developers, unless what they are meant to do is critically needed for other developers to continue a project. Summer is closing in, and we're hoping to have a few things ready for release by than.

**Description**

Our ideals are simple, but the development will be hard. Many times we've seen gaming companies choose content over security, as well content over community. We are leant towards listening to what our community wishes to see within a game, and not just making updates depending on how we feel about it. Content does matter, but what good would new graphics do if the majority of a community dislikes it? We understand everyone can not be pleased, but it is best to have the community involved with updates and allow them to add their opinions, debate over why they like and or dislike a planned update, and from there, come to a conclusion if we should continue with the update, or rather concentrate on bug fixes while planning updates that the community has proven to be something they would enjoy. As I previously said, we can't please everyone, but we will carefully listen to what they have to say.

If you haven't played our first game, [Orbit Vector defense](http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/588953), go and play it now. Look forward to a new and improved Vector defense 2, with custom music and most likely sound effects made by the team itself. As well as various other improvements, such as bug fixes, new features and amazingly new game graphics. Here's a [sneak peak](http://www.soundcloud.com/j-moreno-2/orbit-jos-moreno) to one of the sound tracks made for Vector Defense 2\. It is still a work in progress by one of our composers,Jose.

![](http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad156/akatsuki1/academy_crest_by_a_fools_paradise-d2sknq2.png)
Academy Of Adventure has been added to our list of developments. We're still in the process of finding the right developers to handle the job, but visit the dA group [here](http://academy-of-adventure.deviantart.com/) and read all about it.

Academy Of Adventure binds together both learning and having fun, within a text-based MMO-RPG world, players will have the opportunity of improving their real life talents, ranging from programming to improving their artistic abilities throughout each semester. There is about two years worth of planning already done for this project, and we're now looking for the needed developers to carry out its development. Lead developer Manda ( known as a-fools-paradise on dA ), will be releasing a test version of the game as she has promised, but the actual game which will be released at a later date, which will be far more improved and entertaining.

![](http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad156/akatsuki1/LKlogo4-1.png)
Little Knight has been through a lot, and is in alpha testing stage. There is still many bugs and features needed before we can get into actual mapping and writing the story. I will add a change log at the bottom so you know what was added and when it was added. This development is lead by our programmer Sk8 and pixel artist, Stava.

Little Knight is an RPG planned for multiple platforms (Windows/Linux/Mac OS/iOS/Android/Xbox360/Web) in which you are the son of a farmer, who feels destined to do more in life. Despite the constant criticism from your grandfather, whilst in town on a mission one afternoon you end up in as quabble, which ends with you saving the kingdom's bratty princess from her own self-instituted situation. Saving the princess earns you one of the highest and most desired roles in the kingdom; a position within the High Knights Guild, protecting the royal family. However, not all is well in the kingdom. As you venture around and complete quests you begin to find there is something dark and twisted (and even comical!) going on within your kingdom.

For one, Little Knight will be both mobile and desktop. The advantage of doing our desktop versions first allow us to toy around with the Co-Op multiplayer concept we've been thinking about. However, we want to move Little Knight on to nearly every mobile platform as well, and even on to the XboxLive Arcade eventually!

Log

[10:03 PM 4/2/2012]
* some of these changes were done a long time ago
* just decided to make a changelog

* implemented player (walking / attack) animations ingame
* implemented maps
* implemented camera scrolling
* implemented bounding boxes

[2:04 PM 4/5/2012]

* implemented map editor
* implemented map loading / saving

[5:32 AM 4/6/2012]

* implemented the start of an npc class

[10:38 PM 4/8/2012]

* commited collision
* commited depth sorting
* implemented tree 8|
* implemented attacking / collision
* released another build

[3:44 PM 4/10/2012]

* added temporary slime npc sheet
* added the first enemy npc slime
* added attack damage text particles
* made simple ai for the slime npc
* released another build

[11:42 PM 4/13/2012]

* added object placement/removal
* added object save/loading
* added debug toggle key ~
* added play toggle key p
* added the new player sheet

![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/7ed50f5b9190a1dac55a6a284de5b016.png)                   
Psithyroi Online, is no longer on hold. There has been a ton of development going on, and there's still more development that needs to be completed before we can move forward to alpha stages. Once in a while there may be a progress video added to our [YouTube](http://www.youtube.com/user/MysticTaleOnline%22) channel. There is currently one progress video on our channel, music you listen to were composed by our musician, Clark.

Ignore all the MysticTale related nonsense. That'll be fixed by tomorrow.

That's all the announcements for now, please become a member of our dA [group](http://psithyroionline.deviantart.com/), and follow us on our journey.

**Follow Us**

[MysticTale on Facebook](http://www.facebook.com/pages/Psithyroi-Online/161098097293546?sk=wall)
[JumpButton on Twitter](https://twitter.com/#%21/JumpButtonS)
[MysticTale on Twitter](http://twitter.com/#%21/PsithyroiOnline)
[JumpButton on Facebook](http://www.facebook.com/pages/JumpButton-Studios/184204351650536#)

![](http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad156/akatsuki1/jump-button-da.gif)

• 2 months later...
It has been awhile since we made any announcements, though as of now all I can do is give you a teaser concept of how the drawn NPC's in Psithyroi will look. We'd like to recognize our awesome character artist Kachima for doing a great job as well as welcome Sakura back to our family :D

Look forward to a larger announcement hopefully in the near or far future. Follow us on twitter @PsithyroiOnline , @JumpButtonS and me @AkatsukiNick as i'll try and talk more about Psithyroi through those.

![](http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/523498_359149397488414_1841760107_n.jpg)
**No one is given permission to use this concept for what ever reason.**

@Fightsheep:

> Looks awesome! :) But a question: Where did you got the name of the project? ^^

Kevin would be the one who created the name but, from what I understand it was random lol. Though we've found a meaning to the name and plan to somehow connect it with the game so the name Psithyroi isn't completely random.

Eh, I'm no fan of the new sprites. I actually quite liked the old graphic style you went for, it was original and looked good. The new sprites appear uninteresting to me, and heavily similar to maple-story. The anatomy for the concept definitely could use a lot of work.

@Kreator:

> Eh, I'm no fan of the new sprites. I actually quite liked the old graphic style you went for, it was original and looked good. The new sprites appear uninteresting to me, and heavily similar to maple-story. The anatomy for the concept definitely could use a lot of work.

So I'm not the only one thinking the same thing.

As much as we all enjoyed the old sprite, it became necessary to change it in order to open a path to everything we had planned for Psithyroi. Hopefully after playing through beta once its out you'll have a different view about the sprites. Though people may always end up comparing the sprites to that of maple story.

As for the old sprites.. can't say much at the moment :P but you may be seeing it in a different game we develop after Psithyroi ;)

Also all our websites are down. We will be bringing them back the closer we get to releasing a beta. If you would like to follow us through social networks, we do have a Facebook page, twitter, and dA.

Twitter:
@AkatsukiNick
@PsithyroiOnline
@JumpButtonS

Facebook:
[Psithyroi Online](http://www.facebook.com/pages/Psithyroi-Online/161098097293546)
[Jumpbutton Studios](http://www.facebook.com/pages/JumpButton-Studios/184204351650536)

dA:
[Psithyroi Online](http://psithyroionline.deviantart.com/)

I second the preference over the old sprites vs. the new ones. They gave the game more character and originality. Few people (if any) would compare the old ones to those of Maple Story's.

Even if you do do them better, people aren't just comparing them to Maple Story's, but they're criticizing you guys for your lack of originality and ability to separate your game from every other side-scroller out there. Why not try to make every aspect unique? Nobody can get angry at you for trying.