Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which programming language should I learn @.@

Jacquelinett

OMG I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DECIDE!!! >.<

I WANT TO LEARN C+, but it seem too hard. I WANT TO LEARN C#, but program that was made on c# require ppl to have netframework to run it. I WANT TO LEARN JAVA, but games made in java require ppl to install java to play. I KNOW HOW TO PROGRAM WITH VB6 + VB.NET but my teacher say that it for beginner :P.

Which one should I learn? Please keep in mind that I want to learn one of those programming language to make a game (MMO and RPG). And eventually, when i grow up, and if i can get support from a billionare or millionare, im gonna create a game console :P

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VB6 isn't for beginners. We've still got huge amounts of public sector code which is based on that language. It's one of the most popular languages of all time for a reason.

Just because something is old doesn't mean it's redundant. In fact the older it is the more systems will be based on it.

@Yumi:

> But Window 8 is not gonna support VB6, is it? Which mean eclipse game isnt gonna run on window 8

Windows 8 is set by its business customers. If people are still using VB6 then Microsoft wouldn't dare remove it. They said the exact same thing about Vista & Win7\. Ignore them.

Also, to answer your question, it doesn't matter what language you use. Stop caring about useless bullshit like platforms and frameworks. Find a syntax which you find easy to learn and go with that. Any monkey can learn syntax, learning to program is something completely different.

It's all about problem solving skills, diagnosis and being able to communicate efficiently. Once you've learnt that you can pick up a syntax in a matter of hours.

I'd say go for java with the eclipse ide… was the most fun language to learn for me and it gives you many libraries, coming with it so you can do stuff without too much effort, it's motivating.
Also it's object oriented and kinda (kinda) like c++ so it's easier to switch to that later...

-seal

Learn Assembly and die shortly after (aneurysm, ofc).

If you want a simple game making-based foundation (a very simple one), use XNA game studio with C#. It's highly managed (almost 100% managed code if you avoid external libraries). It's a mixture of both C++ and VB. Coming from a purely VB6 background myself, I have come to love the simplicity of C#.

I want to stick with vb6\. But…. I dont want ppl to install runtime when they play the game. Is iti possible to implement the dx along with the games so that ppl dont have to install the runtime?

I see that there is a thing called fmod.dll
It was inside the client folder
And you dont have to install it.
So there fore i think it is possible?

@Yumi:

> I want to stick with vb6\. But…. I dont want ppl to install runtime when they play the game. Is iti possible to implement the dx along with the games so that ppl dont have to install the runtime?
>
> I see that there is a thing called fmod.dll
> It was inside the client folder
> And you dont have to install it.
> So there fore i think it is possible?

If it's there but doesn't require installation, it most likely isn't embedded within the client/server (not being used). Anything after VB6 (.NET, C, C++) that avoids COM usage shouldn't require manual installation of library files.

@Alexander:

> If it's there but doesn't require installation, it most likely isn't embedded within the client/server (not being used). Anything after VB6 (.NET, C, C++) that avoids COM usage shouldn't require manual installation of library files.

actually it still implement in the game. It for the sound system in CS:DE

@Lenton:

> Don't learn VB6 for gods sake, learn C++ or C.

THAT DOESNT HELP >.< SHOULD I LEARN C++ OR C??? :P

Your teacher is 'wrong' to say VB is for beginners.  There are thousands of commerical, enterprise applications built with VB6, let alone .NET.  Our entire provinces patient record keeping software for 911 dispatch and hospitals is done in VB6. 

As for learning a specific language, it truly depends on what you want to create.  BASIC is just that, Basic.  It's fairly simple to learn the syntax and will give you a good understanding of programming logic.  This doesn't mean just Visual Basic, you could pick at something like DarkBASIC to get a decent understanding of logic and syntax.

What I would recommend is taking actual programming courses in High-School and college.  You'll start at the very basics where a good programmer should start.  From there, decide if you're going to branch into web applications, win32 applications, console applications etc.

Umm, learn C, not C++. I started with C++, and after some advice from Stephan, i changed to C. C is easier imo, and i find it's style to by nicer. It's also faster, i'm pretty sure. It's a bit hard to learn though, compared to other languages like VB6\. Still, if you're ok with a challenge, then go for it :)

Your high school offer C? I'm surprised. Most, including mind only offer some kind of BASIC(mostly VB) or something along the line to introduce people to programming(ALICE) and then there is the AP Java, which I'm taking currently and it's pretty stupid. I learned Java in a couple of months but it's been more than a quarter of the year and we're not even at loop yet.

I strongly suggest C. You'll learn other programming syntax easier(such as Java and C++).  However, it's best to practice programming in VB6(not the .NET with the OOP, I mean might as well go with C# or Java) because it's super easy to use and it help teach you to program more efficiently and most importantly, how to program something/solve problems.

Sincerely,
Rithy

@Yumi:

> Rob Jane. Im taking programming course in my high school next year. Probably im gonna take C

Let me put this in to perspective. No one who has posted in this thread knows what they're talking about except Rob and I. VB6 is still extensively used in the NHS. I have no degree or professional experience yet I got brought in to the NHS software development team purely because of the stuff I've done with Eclipse and Crystalshire.

Anyone who says not to learn VB6 for any reason is still in school and has no fucking idea what the real world is like. Ignore them. Rob speaks the truth.

VB6 is a fantastic place to start, especially as you have an obvious interest in designing ORPGs. You can learn how to program whilst using my software and it'll come 100x easier than doing anything else because you're having fun.