Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

College

JeffSventora

Where do you go and what do you do?

I go to Full Sail University in Orlando, FL. I'm about 8 months away from getting my Bachelor's of Science in Game Development. Overall, my experience here has been phenomenal.

[http://www.fullsail.edu/degrees/game-development-bachelors](http://www.fullsail.edu/degrees/game-development-bachelors)

I want to go to NYU (New York University), their computer science department is just ok, but they have a decent math department which is a must. That is just one of the schools i have spotted recently.

I'm currently in highschool (Jr.), but i plan on getting some sort of degree in computer science, and as a fallback some sort of literature/arts degree? I'm not so sure how safe the computer industry is, and how stable it will stay over the years so why not have a fallback?

I'm also not to sure as too how i'm going to get in, i can most likely pay a good bit of the fees, and student loans will help. Not too sure on scholarships as i'm not the top of my class, and not involved in any sports. At worst ill take some sort of military route, possibly through the air force as they have a decent tech. department.

My plans after college are iffy, if i decide to switch over into the web development field i could possibly snag a job at Google if i was lucky, as i have family who work there. But that is iffy, i also have two uncles working for the Navy (One in networking security protocol & the other about to be promoted to some sort of admiral possibly). I was interested in physics at one point, but not to sure if i'm the right person for that field. I guess at the moment i just need to work on picking up the slack of my sloppy student career of my past 2 years in high school.

Sorry for the rocky sentence structuring.

Regards,

General General General Pony

> and as a fallback some sort of literature/arts degree?

Never, ever use art as a fallback. I know there are artists around here that will disagree with me, but don't. Self-teaching yourself gives you more practice than an art degree.

Also, why not build a portfolio? I have a decent project base that I can market to colleges. I only have a 2.8 GPA but can go anywhere because of my portfolio and swimming (My SAT score is pretty high as well, so that helps…). I basically just chose not to work at school. In my free time I get more knowledge researching and programming than homework will ever teach me. Homework is designed for the kids who would be watching Teen Mom after school otherwise, not people like us who are actually doing something useful and intelegent in their spare time.

I also don't advise to follow my exact advice. I have swimming as a fallback. You don't.

> Never, ever use art as a fallback. I know there are artists around here that will disagree with me, but don't. Self-teaching yourself gives you more practice than an art degree.
>
> Also, why not build a portfolio? I have a decent project base that I can market to colleges. I only have a 2.8 GPA but can go anywhere because of my portfolio and swimming (My SAT score is pretty high as well, so that helps…). I basically just chose not to work at school. In my free time I get more knowledge researching and programming than homework will ever teach me. Homework is designed for the kids who would be watching Teen Mom after school otherwise, not people like us who are actually doing something useful and intelegent in their spare time.
>
> I also don't advise to follow my exact advice. I have swimming as a fallback. You don't.

You do realize when i say art i could mean quite a bit? I may be taking a literature approach to be a English teacher, not sure.

> You do realize when i say art i could mean quite a bit? I may be taking a literature approach to be a English teacher, not sure.

If you really want to then go ahead. Not much money in being a literature teacher either, but if that's your passion then go for it.

Currently in HighSchool(Senior) I'm planning to go to the University of Minnesota.

I plan to get a degree in computer science/game development at the moment.

My secondary option is computer animation/anime(cartoon) creation.

> If you really want to then go ahead. Not much money in being a literature teacher either, but if that's your passion then go for it.

Thank you for the respect of my decision, although after thinking about what you said you are right. Guess ill start searching for another fallback.

> If your going to come to america for computer science please dont go to harvard. The school is highly over rated.

Very Overrated i also wouldn't recommend going to a majority of our state colleges/universities (Mainly the southern ones) as they are 'Party' schools. Where the football players and such go to have a 'Good Time'. Although Cambridge seems like a great school!

I start college (again, dropped out twice before due to my courses being to boring/easy) next week for Computer Systems Technology Systems Analyst at Sheridan College (http://www.sheridancollege.ca/). After my 3 years of this course I plan to go to University for a Bachelor's of Computer Science which is normally a 4 year course but after I finish my 3 years in College I can do a 2 week program in the summer and if I pass with 80% or higher I go right into year 3 of University so I only have to do year 3-4 (so only 1 more year of schooling then if I went right into University).

I took no computer courses in Highschool and took all Applied/College level courses and almost failed all my classes due to not doing any work except for tests and exams in Highschool and just doing enough to pass. Because of that I can't get into any Universities now though but can get into College so I'm doing this to get into University later.

I'm also doing a degree in Video Game Design and Development as a Work-From Home course from Stratford Career Institute (http://www.scitraining.ca/) I have two years to finish that degree and can work on it at any pace and 100% of it is from home so I can do that while I'm at my college working on my other degree/BSc,

> Not as good as Cal tech, but easier to get into. And yeah, go to a technical school if you're going to shoot that high. Cal tech and MIT are the best, at least for learning purposes.

Never heard of Cal Tech. Stanford and USC are amazing though.

Edit:

CalTech is apparently 7th behind Standford, Oxford, and MIT. http://www.usnews.com/education/worlds-best-universities-rankings/best-universities-computer-science

> I want to go to NYU (New York University), their computer science department is just ok, but they have a decent math department which is a must. That is just one of the schools i have spotted recently.
>
> I'm currently in highschool (Jr.), but i plan on getting some sort of degree in computer science, and as a fallback some sort of literature/arts degree? I'm not so sure how safe the computer industry is, and how stable it will stay over the years so why not have a fallback?
>
> I'm also not to sure as too how i'm going to get in, i can most likely pay a good bit of the fees, and student loans will help. Not too sure on scholarships as i'm not the top of my class, and not involved in any sports. At worst ill take some sort of military route, possibly through the air force as they have a decent tech. department.
>
> My plans after college are iffy, if i decide to switch over into the web development field i could possibly snag a job at Google if i was lucky, as i have family who work there. But that is iffy, i also have two uncles working for the Navy (One in networking security protocol & the other about to be promoted to some sort of admiral possibly). I was interested in physics at one point, but not to sure if i'm the right person for that field. I guess at the moment i just need to work on picking up the slack of my sloppy student career of my past 2 years in high school.
>
> Sorry for the rocky sentence structuring.
>
> Regards,
>
> General General General General Pony

"I want to go to NYU (New York University)"

"but i plan on getting some sort of degree in computer science, and as a fallback some sort of literature/arts degree?"

Interesting, I had the same exact plan in mind. I wonder, do you live in Brooklyn?