Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Going to work on some new tiles.

Dark Crusade

> Gorgeous! Been awhile since I've seen someone actually pull off a nostalgic feel around here without using it as an excuse for mediocre skill. Can't wait to see more.

Thanks, will show off plenty more as I work on it.

> I really like it, have a question though. Are you going to leave the roofs off like that or are you going to have a roof system?

No roof system. I'm aiming for both a retro and 'what you see is what you get' unique city design. I saw a simular thing in an old game series called Dragon Quest/Warrior and loved it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man those tiles look amazing. I wish I had your skills so bad. One thing I noticed is where the grass and the top of the wall meet it just doesn't look right. The wall at the top looks flat, like it is really thin or something, and the grass looks like its behind the wall instead of the grass being on top like (I think) it is supposed to be. I hope that makes sense and I can't wait to see more.

> Man those tiles look amazing. I wish I had your skills so bad. One thing I noticed is where the grass and the top of the wall meet it just doesn't look right. The wall at the top looks flat, like it is really thin or something, and the grass looks like its behind the wall instead of the grass being on top like (I think) it is supposed to be. I hope that makes sense and I can't wait to see more.

Makes perfect sense. I never noticed or thought about it. I'll make a new tile for grass so it can fringe up over walls and other objects. Thanks for the suggestion!

> Looking great as always man. Hope you get some professional going one day, because you definitely have the talent.

Thanks! I hope so too. By the latest, when I've finished university and am hopefully rocking a decent job I'll be able to put some money into my design and fund it.

**Update 2:**

Loads of more tiles to work on, got a nice list in front of me! Experimenting with the city walls at the moment, and also shadows! In the next preview expect to hopefully see mailboxes, fruit stalls, furnaces, fences, lamp posts, wagons, wells, buckets, more beds and stalls, anvils, and grass fringes!

I'd also love to hear your opinion on simple shadows for walls. Yes or no? I don't want to create shadows for everything, would be difficult and time consuming to design neat shadows for every object like rocks, plants and crates, and might look a bit messy. But what about just for walls as shown?

![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/700c7cddbbefc3d1c2b4b1d7019c9c50.png)

Have you tried seeing what two-tile-high buildings look like? I know the shortened homes work with the style you're going for, but to me the tall city walls present a stark contrast to the ity bity home walls in a way that ruins the continuity of it all. I'd be curious to see how it would look the other way.

The shadows are a keeper imo. Adds some welcomed depth. Don't forget the shadow cast by the top of the city wall entrance onto itself.

Also, what's up with the undetailed grass outside the entrance? It sticks out like a sore thumb.

All in all, what you have so far is awesome possum. Keep it up ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png)

> Have you tried seeing what two-tile-high buildings look like? I know the shortened homes work with the style you're going for, but to me the tall city walls present a stark contrast to the ity bity home walls in a way that ruins the continuity of it all. I'd be curious to see how it would look the other way

Yeah I did try it actually, it looked pretty great on it's own, but I ended up making the difficult choice of using the single-tile high buildings for both the style I went for, and also to match some other design ideas I have for later for caves and dungeons. As for the walls, I'll re-evalulate them when I have more progress and will consider redoing them in the same size. I actually did to have them to also be one-tile tall originally. I'll show you a mockup I did nonetheless of a two-tile height building:

![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/51a38612b7e980e333fd34ad45a82aa1.png)

> The shadows are a keeper imo. Adds some welcomed depth. Don't forget the shadow cast by the top of the city wall entrance onto itself.

Yeah, I added that shadow and also other's I missed such as inside the building for the single piece of wall in the center.

> Also, what's up with the undetailed grass outside the entrance? It sticks out like a sore thumb.
>
> All in all, what you have so far is awesome possum possum. Keep it up ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png)

The lighter shade? It was the original 'plain' grass design I did. I'll revise it as I did with the soil and the tall grass probably soon. A lot of these graphics are revisions of old graphics I worked on about 2 years ago. I never noticed any issues with them, although since I've taken a more detailed approach with the rest of the tiles in the city, I do agree that it does look a touch plain, but not necessarily bad or 'stuck out'.

> The wall looks much much better. I really like the way you shade your tiles. Thats my biggest issue with my pixel art, shading, its a female dog. Anyways keep up the good work man.

Thanks, I'm really enjoying working on these tiles. It's been too long since I've pixelled so I'm glad I've picked it back up.

**Update 3.**

Heres some more previews of the tileset. Currently working on store-specific tiles, such as anvils and furnaces for blacksmiths, cauldrons and vials for potion stores, and such. Also, I'm going to have a lot of tiles unique to each city and town, so they are easily distinquishable and 'feel' different. For example, only Helmsglade will have the tiled houses shown, the cobble stone and brick paths/walls. Still got lots more to do for this city, then I might move onto some outdoor areas before tackling the Helmsglade Castle.

![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/858d50cc9a11dcf4740ea42c7e3512e9.png)

![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/6f65a637cf72df216575a85a0dfdedb3.png)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
> Helmsglade

That's probably one of the most generic, cliche fantasy names I've ever heard. That said, I think it could work with Elandor because it's trying to be a bit nostalgiac. Just be careful, and try not to make anything more cliche than that.