Find results in...

Windows 8 Review

XerShade

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, cleaned a bunch of nonsense.

If you guys can't even have a NORMAL conversation over an operating system (which, by the way is not forced upon you. So why the rage?) I'll end up closing this or sending a few of you on a vacation.

Anyhow, I personally really like Windows 8\. The Metro UI took a little to get used to, but now I can hit just type in what I need on it and it instantly finds everything I could want in my folders, control panel, settings and programs without any issues whatsoever. And besides, I deal with the Metro UI FOUR TIMES a day. The stuff I actually want to use often has shortcuts on my desktop sorted in folders. The only thing about Metro that I don't like as much is that you can no longer have programs in sub folders of your start menu, which can turn it into a clusterfuck at times(Granted, I've hidden 90% of the icons I have on my Metro menu, no point in having them if I never use them!).

And I'm curious what resolutions you guys are running at, Windows 8 requires a minimum of 1024x720(?) to run the apps properly and look halfway decent, anything over that will make the UI look pretty good. The tiles are of a fairly decent size for me at 1920x1080, and I have zero issues with the size of it all. It's easy to read, not hard to find and it's all where I expect it to be.

Now the Desktop App, this is something that ticks some people off, but I don't see why? It's still a desktop and it runs just as fast as my Windows 7 desktop. I click it, it loads instantly the first time I boot my PC, loads a few tray icons and BAM. we have our desktop running.

I do dislike the Metro Control Panel though, it feels unfinished and lacks just about every feature you would expect a control panel to actually have, it's more of a personalize panel for your Metro UI rather than an actual control panel for your computer.

Speed? It boots within (roughly, including the POST checks) 8 seconds from me hitting the power button on my case till Desktop. Then runs incredibly smooth and fast sitting at an idle 0-1%CPU and 1,2gb RAM usage. I don't know what you did to it Xer, but all I can say is: Dayum, your shit is screwed.

Also, just for the record, remember the rage over Windows 95, and people getting confused over that and claiming to never upgrade? Oh goodie, look how that turned out.

lol @ Joyce removing the posts where I called Aaron a Windows 8 fan boy (which he is along with anyone else that likes the operating system; you're a fan, pretty simple). Geeze, people are so uptight; even Aaron knew it was a joke.

Also @ Joyce: You can't throw performance statistics around without letting people know what kind of system you're getting those specs on. "Boots in 8 seconds." Sure, from a solid-state drive and with one hell of a processor. The average user will see no where near that.

> The only way my pc will boot in 8 seconds is if there is some kinda of tear in the space time continuum.

lol. Yeah, unfortunately most of the people flocking to buy Windows 8 are those with new pcs, will build new pcs, or are upgrading on pc's with up-to-date hardware.

mines not all that old or anything its just i sure as hell cant afford a ssd. I haven't tried 8 yet so i have no real valid opinion, I've heard it will run amd processors more efficiently and i take that as a plus. I don't like the look of metro but I'm sure there will be tons of programs to change the look into a desktop anyway. If i build a brand new pc I would most likely get it but I'm sure not gonna upgrade on this pc.

The only thing I seriously wanted out of Windows 8 was the LIVE functionality. Just saying.

Also, yeah, 8 seconds to boot probably has something to do with your computer. MOST of us here are clearly talking about upgrading and not buying a new computer with shiny new hardware for Windows 8.

Shits the bomb, dont know what tyou guys are talking about. Havent really gotten into the core of things yet. But it is super fast and clean. The start menu takes like 10 seconds to get used to if your not a complete cripple. The side of the window bar lets you find anything in seconds. Other then that everything is the same. Its not like you have to learn anything new. They finally added two toolbars for multi screening. I havent wanted that for a long time now.

Now i may run into a ton of errors when i try to get all my drivers and stuff installed. But so far it is looking really solid. Which worries me, becouse every second windows release is terrible. I feel like its just luring me into a false sense of security.

> Shits Da bomb diggity, dont know what tyou guys are talking about. Havent really gotten into the core of things yet. But it is super fast and clean. The start menu takes like 10 seconds to get used to if your not a complete cripple. The side of the window bar lets you find anything in seconds. Other then that everything is the same. Its not like you have to learn anything new. They finally added two toolbars for multi screening. I havent wanted that for a long time now.
>
> Now i may run into a ton of errors when i try to get all my drivers and stuff installed. But so far it is looking really solid. Which worries me, becouse every second windows release is terrible. I feel like its just luring me into a false sense of security.

Well we kind of did conclude that the people complaining about it hadn't tried it yet xD.

> Also @ Joyce: You can't throw performance statistics around without letting people know what kind of system you're getting those specs on. "Boots in 8 seconds." Sure, from a solid-state drive and with one hell of a processor. The average user will see no where near that.

The exact same system on Windows 7 still took at least double that time to load. ;]

> The exact same system on Windows 7 still took at least double that time to load. ;]

Cool.

@Aaron. Bought in January.. of this year. lol. Most of these people have systems dating back to 2008 or earlier.

I just want Microsoft to hurry up and release the new managed dx for VS 2012… and to figure out how to change the god awful color scheme of 2012\. These florescent colors piss me off.

I've been using Windows 8 since it the developer preview came out, and I've got to say, I've noticed that in reality Metro is completely useless besides seeing a brief preview of notifications/etc. Microsoft has gone about this terribly, desktop and metro should work together.

Just thought I should throw my half-cent in. I have a computer I've been using since 2006(6 years ago for the mathematically declined. ![:P](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.png) ) and I have recently upgraded to the new Windows 8 and I'm fucking loving it. It runs several times faster than Windows 7, and the Start Screen is awesome, I've already customized it with everything I want on it. I don't get all this bitching about "Herp Derp, its fur tablets Hurr" a tablet is a computer… guess what, everything you do on a tablet you also do on your computer and your PC games aren't going to start asking you to use a touchscreen to play, its still a fucking desktop computer...

"But Vista was terrible so Windows 8 should be terrible!" people that bring up Windows Vista when discussing Windows 8 obviously don't understand WHY Vista was terrible and are simply trying to project its failure onto the new OS. Windows 8 cuts out all of the extra shit that bogs down Windows 7, what you people really need to ask yourself is "What did I use from Windows 7 that Windows 8 broke?" the answer, by the way, is "nothing".

This topic is probably null by now but I wanted to mention that I think MS went in the right direction with this.

I agree with renzo you studmuffin about it, I have been using Windows 8 for a few days now and I really love it.

Though when I try and install a virus protection it blue screens for me, no idea why.

But that's the only issue I have had, it runs faster than 7 did for me, and I'm not just referring to the boot time either.

It's really not for tablets, it took me seconds to get the controls perfect with a mouse and keyboard.

It helps to actually try it before rating it, so far for me everything on 7 that worked, works on 8.

If you guys really want the start button back download Stardock/whatevet it's called.

I like the Modern though, so you all should really give it a try.

I am getting into this a little late and this might have been mentioned too lazy to read but whatever. People need to realize that this company is thinking ahead; thats the only way to stay compedative in a fast changing market. If you guys do some some research on what kind of technology Microsoft is investing in you will realize that this OS is perfectly suited for them. Yes it takes time to get used to the interface but with anything new it takes time. If you got the same thing over and over again there is really no motivation to evolve.You have to give them credit for stepping out of their comfort zone and trying something new for a change. SO give them some slack they are just trying to build a product for the future that is around the corrner.

I was initially very skeptical about 8\. I finally buckled down and gave it a try.

…I love it.

This topic seems to be plagued with over dramatic intolerance to change. God forbid one has to look at the sleek, customizable start screen for 2 seconds as opposed to spending 10 seconds navigating menus in Windows 7.