Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Windows 8 Review

XerShade

> I was initially very skeptical about 8\. I finally buckled down and gave it a try.
>
> …I love it.
>
> This topic seems to be plagued with over dramatic intolerance to change. God forbid one has to look at the sleek, customizable start screen for 2 seconds as opposed to spending 10 seconds navigating menus in Windows 7.

Well basically, the people complaining about it are the people who haven't even tried the full version.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> Again these are just my personal feelings on the matter but really I can not give window 8 a good score because unfortunately the bad outweighs the good in this case.
>
> **My Score:** 3 out of 10
>
> -XerShade

Shade Windows 9 is gonna be worse for you then.

Windows 8 sucks. I won't be using it until the next generation consoles come out, because I heard that the new Xbox will allow Windows 8 to run games on it. Other than that perk, it is simply a step backwards in my opinion. Although, I don't know how I would make a seamless OS across all platforms. Sometimes it is best to keep things separated for what users are used to.

You're complaining that the OS you've used for a year (despite not liking it) is too unfamiliar? Obvious BS.

You are also calling an app-based OS a step _backward,_ of all things_._ lool_._ Welcome to the future of tech. You're going to hate it.

> You're complaining that the OS you've used for a year (despite not liking it) is too unfamiliar? Obvious BS.
>
> You are also calling an app-based OS a step _backward,_ of all things_._ lool_._ Welcome to the future of tech. You're going to hate it.

Not unfamiliar, it is just designed wrong. The way they did it is completely horrible, and even if they are using it as a transition phase, it is still not the right way.

> One thing has started to bug me, all those metro apps force themselves into fullscreen. Really a pain in the ass when im trying to multitask.

My biggest compliant is the metro interface popping up when I played games, but I switched back to Windows 7, thank god. ![:)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.png)

Modern is fine for me, I like the whole desktop/modern mix.

It's a great OS so far, no problems yet for me.

I do not miss the start button, and I think Modern works well, the controls with the mouse and keyboard took like 5 seconds to get used to.

> That isn't even the windows 8 GUI.
>
> If you don't like the new App menu don't use it, i get along well without it. Hell there is even a program out that adds the start menu back if that's what you prefer.

That's called fixing a problem Microsoft should of addressed. I'll pass on bogging down my OS, and quite a few programs don't even work with Windows 8 (used the customer preview). There's basically no incentive to use this OS. Please tell me one aside from maybe being slightly faster.

The apps suck, they aren't good at all. Microsoft shouldn't install them by default either, because I'd much rather use Android for tablet and phone. Windows will never be cutting edge for mobile. It is a waste for them to destroy the desktop experience.

> Dont get it people. Although it is a good but not great program, Windows 9 is well on it's way, so just wait til 2015 i thin everyone can wait that long. I mean I use Windows 8 because i have to.

You realise Windows 9 will be full Modern-style right?

> Dont get it people. Although it is a good but not great program, Windows 9 is well on it's way, so just wait til 2015 i thin everyone can wait that long. I mean I use Windows 8 because i have to.

lololwut.

Are you _kidding_ me? Windows 9 will be based off of Windows 8.

I got a copy for free, been running it in Parallels (also used the developer & consumer preview). I like it, it's not that much of a change to me since Parallels automatically skips the Metro Start Screen, so I don't need to bother panning around that menu, but when I installed it on a desktop computer I wished it'd detect a touch screen and if there isn't one then disable that screen. I know it's just 0.1 second different from just clicking the desktop button, but I wish it could disabled out of the package without some third party hack that would require money (Start8?). Doesn't bother me too much, but to some, it's like Microsoft is flipping them off before they can use their computers.

As for the 2nd issue, the start button. I guess they could've left it in, it doesn't really make a different wither people could hover over the bottom left corner, they could've just left the start button. I like that you can now attach ISO's without any third party applications. As for anything else, I don't really bother diving into them since I'm never going to buy applications from it's marketplace as I have no intention of changing eco-systems.

I guess, for those unhappy, they can always use Windows 7\. I think Windows 8 just needs one tweak, which will disable tablet features and functions. One prompt whilst initialising the setup which would determine if you want touch functionality and the metro start screen. I don't think it's necessarily a bad direction, but they can't afford to lose consumers, and hope they've done the right thing. I like it anyway, but not as my primary OS.

Oh a big plus for customisability.

[http://allthingsd.co…eave-microsoft/](http://allthingsd.com/20121112/breaking-windows-head-steven-sinofsky-to-leave-microsoft/)

**Steven Sinofsky is leaving….. Yikes.**