Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse Origins v2 Beta

Robin

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we could implement MP3 support and take no responsibility on how you use it.
But yeah, someone brought that up in another community and I also point it out that there is a license required for MP3 distribution and Robin confirmed it.

But why MP3? You're not gonna put a song into a game now, are you? Usually, games have instrumental music and Wave files is more than enough for it. Sure, maybe you worry about file size, but that's not a big deal.

What I really want is Graphic Compression. I mean…seriously 90% of the game files size is Graphic.

Sincerely,
Rithy

@YamYam:

> Isn't the mp3 format lisenced in such a way you're not allowed to redistribute your games with that format of sound files included without paying for it? :huh:

I doubt it. Even it was enforced, it would probably only apply to MP3 players and decoders.

@Harris:

> If EO had .png support it would decrease file size loads.

Just compress your bitmap files.

DD7 doesn't support PNG images without creating some sort of horrible PNG to BMP to DDS converter. (I think Stable has one of these atrocities)

Seen as though Origins is always unloading/loading graphics you don't want to add any unneeded loading time to the surface creation.

As for the mp3 issue, as I'm the one distributing the software with mp3 playing capabilities, I'm the one who'd have to pay the license.

You can fuck right off if you expect me to do that. xD

I've looked it up, and MP3 only needs to be licenced for commercial stuff. And for games, if it is commercial, you don't have to license it unless you have distributed more than 5000 copies of it.

I think this means that it can be put in Eclipse Origins, and the only ones that'll pay for it will be the ones who make the games, and that's only if it is commercial.

Robin is there a way to edit in the source so the item files don't open 1.bmp 2.bmp ect so i can change it to (anyfilename).png and that will work i wont have to use numbers i can change the file names to what ever would suit me and would keep my item folder more "clean". thanks for all help

Easiest way would be making it read a file which states which file is which image ID.. but that'd just take a while to read/load, and sort of pointless when it'll only make your folders look more shiny..

@YamYam:

> Easiest way would be making it read a file which states which file is which image ID.. but that'd just take a while to read/load, and sort of pointless when it'll only make your folders look more shiny..

That'd be a silly way.

Simply changing the sprite variables to string would work. You'd have to change all the scrollbars to file lists.

@Robin:

> Don't quote such a huge post. >_>

I think you should give us some recourses which we can use for the eclipse orgins, can I ask 1 thing.. How can I change the name of the eclipse orgin? I mean I have edited it visual basic 6 and compiled it but it is still the same when I open the main menu.

@samih1996:

> I think you should give us some recourses which we can use for the eclipse orgins.

I think you should go find them yourself. Check the resources for an example, Shadowwolf shared Spell Icons, Items, Sprites and Spells. Those are all use able for Origins.

@samih1996:

> I think you should give us some recourses which we can use for the eclipse orgins.

There are several reasons why Origins doesn't come with full sets of graphics and music, etc. Firstly, he doesn't have permission to pack up a ton of RMXP resources and distribute them. The ones provided are just for an example. Secondly, if you're downloading a "blank" engine, you don't want to have to download 100 megs of files that you might not want. Sure, they compress, but Origins is under a MB to download. It's the first dial-up friendly engine that's been out in a long while. Thirdly, it's not that hard to get your own resources. Like Rusher said, there's a lot of resources for EO already, plus Robin/Helladen have converters so you don't even have to split the graphics manually.