Find results in...

Eclipse Origins v2 Beta

Robin

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Tarou:

> Whoa, the new version is awesome. I love the sound effects. Question though. The map format was changed? I'm just wondering because when I transferred my maps from the EO Xmas Edition to 1.3.1, I got a Subscript Out of Range error. But it didn't say anything in the changelog, so I wasn't sure.

Robin put in tilesets, so when you save a map it keeps track of the sheet you left off on in 1.3.0 and removed it in 1.3.1.

@Urimas:

> Robin theres a bug with
>
> StartSpellCount=1
> StartSpell1=1
>
> in the class.ini I tryed adding more
>
> StartSpellCount=2
> StartSpell1=1
> StartSpell2=3
>
> but that causes the server to crash when you click on create character
>
> works wit 1 spell but anymore causes crash any fix for this?

You need to delete the .ini and it doesn't create the ini, so you need to fix that too. It's a simple misplacement of the filename, you should be able to figure it out pretty easily.

Excellent work.  I've been anticipating for this for quite some time ^_^

I'm not sure if there is a good place to post suggestions or ideas for future additions for EO.  It's been a while since I've visited the forums.  I'll post it here for now.

So, as I said, it looks amazing so far.  I'm very impressed.

Obviously I don't expect EO's interface to trump premiere MMO interfaces but in a search to improve the user experience I believe that it is necessary to look to other games for areas where EO could be improved.  One such area is the client's main menu.

As of now, there is no "Home" page button. The daily news that is received from the server appears when you first run the program but if you click another button then you have no way of returning to that news.  I believe that adding this function is essential as a more expansive or developed game is sure to have some sort of news feed listing updates and changes for the game.

This whole "Home" page and news idea brings a few more ideas to mind.  These include having the client retrieve images from web addresses and embedding them into the news section.  Fold-down tabs would be a nice incorporation as well.  Example:

[+] GFX Update 1/25/2011
[+] Patch Fix V.1.0.2 1/20/2011
[-] New Logo 1/2/2011
    A new logo has been introduced!
    Blah Blah!
    Blibidy Blah!
[+] Eclipse Origins Released!

Being able to integrate basic HTML or having the client recognize custom commands like inserting images and what not would be great!  Even inserting images from a folder that's client side rather than internet would be a nice addition.  Colors and web links (open in browser) would also add to the experience.

Additionally, I believe that there should be an options button in the main menu.  Here, the player could set options for video, audio, etc.  Many game clients have an options menu that can be accessed before actually initiating the game.  This helps to customize settings before trying to boot the actual game that will be more demanding than the login screen.

While on the topic of options, I'd like to suggest some additional video options be applied.  Now I'm not expecting a game like this to have things like Anti-aliasing and Vertical sync settings but perhaps screen resolution and fullscreen options are doable?  Example:  I have a 1920x1080 monitor.  The space that the client provides for me to actually see (the map) is quite small.  I'd like to eventually see a fullscreen option where I could run the entire client at 1920x1080 and have the chat and menus interface enlarged slightly but the total map viewing area greatly enlarged to encompass the rest of my screen.  Draw distance settings and other video options would allow for a better overall user experience.

Another feature that I don't see in the client is an online/offline status bar.  Those would be nice.

I am familiar with the separate auto-update feature that can be downloaded but I was wondering if there is a way for this to be built straight into the client.  This way the player is guaranteed to have the newest files available.  Upon loading the client it could first check to see that the server is online and then check for updates, retrieving any new files and downloading them before allowing the player to log into the game.

That's enough with the menu for now.  As for the actual engine itself, I haven't played around in-game much yet.  Right now the only thing that I can think of that would be a nice feature is seemless map flow.  This would be almost necessary if playing in larger resolutions, otherwise you would run into the black edges of maps if they were too small.  Rather than run to the edge of a box shaped map, the surrounding maps could be loading into the client for when you ran into that direction and your character could just continue running straight onto a new map.  When entering a new map, properties and whatnot could change accordingly.

These are just a few suggestions.  Some of these features might already exist and I'm just unaware of them.  But otherwise they stand.  I don't expect any of these to be done as they are merely suggestions for further development.  What Robin decides to do is his own decision.  I just thought I'd give some feedback and ideas.

Overall, great job.  I can't wait to see where EO ends up going!  :cheesy:
I'll be heading off to college in pursuit of a computer science degree soon so maybe I'll help out if I show any talent for it.  :P

EDIT: Oh, and preview boxes for spell, item, and character animations would help when edition.

Robin, do you know how much time you can spend in the next month? I was surprised when you released 1.3.0 because i thought you haven't got much time for it right now. I don't want a release date i just want to know if you want to spend time next 1-2 month in there.
And what about java? Do you still work with fab on it? And if so are you going to abandon vb EO ?

@symphonia117:

> As of now, there is no "Home" page button. The daily news that is received from the server appears when you first run the program but if you click another button then you have no way of returning to that news.  I believe that adding this function is essential as a more expansive or developed game is sure to have some sort of news feed listing updates and changes for the game.

It was simply there to fill in blank space. Personally I don't care much for it and believe news should be done through the autoupdater. You can easily just copy & paste one of the buttons, add it to the button array and make it a home button yourself.

@symphonia117:

> These include having the client retrieve images from web addresses and embedding them into the news section.  Fold-down tabs would be a nice incorporation as well. Being able to integrate basic HTML or having the client recognize custom commands like inserting images and what not would be great!  Even inserting images from a folder that's client side rather than internet would be a nice addition.  Colors and web links (open in browser) would also add to the experience.

Very over the top for something I consider a space filler. You can easily just add in an Internet Explorer control and have it automatically open a news page on your webhost. I'm not going to re-program an entire browser for Origins. xD

@symphonia117:

> Additionally, I believe that there should be an options button in the main menu.

I need more options first.

@symphonia117:

> While on the topic of options, I'd like to suggest some additional video options be applied.  Now I'm not expecting a game like this to have things like Anti-aliasing and Vertical sync settings but perhaps screen resolution and fullscreen options are doable?  Example:  I have a 1920x1080 monitor.  The space that the client provides for me to actually see (the map) is quite small.  I'd like to eventually see a fullscreen option where I could run the entire client at 1920x1080 and have the chat and menus interface enlarged slightly but the total map viewing area greatly enlarged to encompass the rest of my screen.  Draw distance settings and other video options would allow for a better overall user experience.

The way maps are handled and the way the GUI is created means having the form size change is simply impossible at the moment.

@symphonia117:

> Another feature that I don't see in the client is an online/offline status bar.  Those would be nice.

Those require an instant TCP connection to be created. Ever wonder why EE and ES take ages before you can do anything on the menu? That's why.

@symphonia117:

> I am familiar with the separate auto-update feature that can be downloaded but I was wondering if there is a way for this to be built straight into the client.  This way the player is guaranteed to have the newest files available.  Upon loading the client it could first check to see that the server is online and then check for updates, retrieving any new files and downloading them before allowing the player to log into the game.

If it's built in to the client then it can't update the client. >_> There's a reason why all commercial games have a separate auto-updater. If you wanted you could add a simple version check to the client and have it automatically run the updater.

@symphonia117:

> Right now the only thing that I can think of that would be a nice feature is seemless map flow.

No. You can have maps up to 255x255 in size. I think that's good enough.

@Kamii:

> Robin, do you know how much time you can spend in the next month? I was surprised when you released 1.3.0 because I thought you haven't got much time for it right now. I don't want a release date I just want to know if you want to spend time next 1-2 month in there.
> And what about java? Do you still work with fab on it? And if so are you going to abandon vb EO ?

Takes between 1 and 3 days for me to do all the changes you see. I simply go a few months or so without doing anything then open the source, whore out for a few hours then release the new version. I only spend more time on it if there's a specific problem I'm having trouble debugging. 1.2.0 -> 1.3.0 was about 3 hours of work, I believe. It was mainly bug fixes and as soon as someone reports a problem I pretty much immediately know what's causing it. It's my source code, I know it better than anyone else.

As for the Java version I just need Fabio to finish the server TCP then we can begin adding in all the features and GUI and the like.

@Robin:

> No. You can have maps up to 255x255 in size. I think that's good enough.

I just thought that seamless map flow would allow for more types of property changes to occur more often if you wanted them too while just looking nicer and not having to run to the edge of each square box only to have to load another map.

@symphonia117:

> I just thought that seamless map flow would allow for more types of property changes to occur more often if you wanted them too while just looking nicer and not having to run to the edge of each square box only to have to load another map.

I know what seamless maps are good for. Hell, I think I'm still the only one around (apart from Emily) who's managed to port Mirage over to fully seamless, having npcs, items, players etc. of other maps render properly.

It's just not a feature I'm interested in, I'm afraid. I tried it before and it just didn't work well with the style of game I like. You're free to add it yourself, though.

I will do eventually but my shop is currently closed.

I also don't do anything in $. I use £. (GBP for those of you who're so sheltered you think the only other currency in the world is the € Euro)

@Celsius:

> Is there an existing guild system that works with this?

Robin's (which isn't available at the moment). There is also one in the source code section I think; otherwise, code it yourself or get someone else to do it for you.

Hey Robin, not a bug, but when you heal on a tile attribute, there's a typo with the message.
It says "You feel rejuvinating forces flowing through your boy."
I'm pretty sure it's 'Rejuvenating', and 'boy' in that context is weird XD.

Just thought I'd note it, for the next update.