Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best Music Genre

SawQuart

I didn't see a topic about this, so I decided to start it. What is your favorite music genre?

I personally am open to every type of music. At one point in my life, I've loved one of these genres (excluding instrumental). So, in order to see what all you guys think, I'm asking.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not my style to subdivide music in categories or genres. Simply because every genre has good and bad music. So I voted for "Other (please comment)".

**Addendum**:
I'd check Wikipedia for most of the genres when making up such a poll. You're missing things like "J-Rock", "Hard Rock", "Death Metal", etc.

Regards,
  Godlord.

This poll fails. There are so many sub genres out there and so many bands that are difficult to classify or are an influence of many genres. Look at stuff like the mars volta, the beatles, bright eyes, fall of troy, frank zappa, sonic youth…these bands are a combonation of several genres and styles of influence. Even look at radiohead, their old stuff would have been considered alt rock but their new stuff is combos of all that is crazy out there in the world. Some food for thought.

@chiccora:

> This poll fails. There are so many sub genres out there and so many bands that are difficult to classify or are an influence of many genres. Look at stuff like the mars volta, the beatles, bright eyes, fall of troy, frank zappa, sonic youth…these bands are a combonation of several genres and styles of influence. Even look at radiohead, their old stuff would have been considered alt rock but their new stuff is combos of all that is crazy out there in the world. Some food for thought.

Then choose "Other" sheesh

@Admiral:

> @Jungletoe:
>
> > I didn't see a topic about this, so I decided to start it. What is your favorite music genre?
>
> And [**this**](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,43075.0.html) is why you didn't see a topic about this.
>
> *moves to Chit-Chat*

Well I was trying to make it more like a debate, but what ever…

@Pink!:

> You can't compare classical, romantic or baroque music to punk, rock or melodic death metal.. You just can't.
>
> lrn2musictheory.

Well, I could say that death metal is too loud, or doesn't have enough emotion compared to instrumental.

No music genre is the best. It's completely personal preference, just like religon and politics.

Never generalise or stereotype a genre. Death metal is not loud. Any music is loud if you turn it the fuck up. It is not possible to make production standard music any louder, else the quality will be damaged. Metal is not emotionless. All genres have their share of bands that sing about nothing meaningful. Especially contemporary dance, rap and pop music. I see so much on tv, where all they sing about is sex, partying and bling.

I personally have very strict taste in music, although being a musician, I withold a very open apprecaition for various genres. However, in the end, it comes down to talent. Bands such as Black Dahlia Murder, have incredible composition and performance skills. Even their lyrics are extremely emotional. Their guitarwork is very sophisitcated and original. Although the vocals would be seen as very unorthodox and just 'screaming', it has great pitch control, and shows powerful emotion, such as sorrow, fear, anger or pride.