Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Computer Build

saadhamza

Ok, in this thread, i wanted people to right down the list for their favorite computer build. Any details you care about. It can be your favorite super expensive build, or your budget pc. Just post it here, and we can talk about it or something. I'll start, so tell me what you think. I just designed it this morning.

Gigabyte GA - MA785 GM
XFC Radeon HD 4770 OR Asus Eah HD 4770
Intel i5 3.2 Ghz
4gb OCZ DDR3
2x Western Digital Caviar Blue 500gb w/ RAID 0
Oprail Asus DRW 24b1
500w power

Yeah. I think that would cost about $600 in all off of Amazon. You could probably get it for about $400-$350 at a second hand part sure.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*100 MHz ARM Cortex-M1 Processor (For insane speed)
*2 GB DDR2 Ram (for enough program room)
*Cheap USB Hard Drive (For more space than I'll ever need)
*2GB SD Card (for operating system)
*110v power supply (to actually power the computer)

Ehh, throw the above together on a good chipset, and I'll have an epic-fast ARM-compliment computer.

Oh, don't forget on-board networking!

@Robin:

> This is the most pointless thread ever.

Yeah, ermm gotta agree…  thread should be specified to a type of functionality... ie.

Whats your Favourite Gaming PC build... or Whats your Favourite Development machine build, otherwise it's just pointless.

Also, it will start needless arguments on hardware types... such as zombies comment

"Intel, Yuck"

I personally like Intel, always have. They cost a bit more sure, but it's your CPU, why
go budget on one of the most critical components in your system. AMD uses cheap thermal
transfer that dries out 10 times faster than intel also... after building over 8000 pc's using
both combinations... im just stating my experience, not what I think is fact.

Well, seeing the average intelligence of this forum, with it being slightly above that of a watermelon, i just assumed that most of them wouldn't know the difference ,specification wise, between a gaming computer and a development computer.
But, let's go for Gaming computers then, shall we?

Admiral, i have to say, that computer sounds sexy.

> This is the most pointless thread ever.

[![](http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/4295/wellshit.jpg)](http://img600.imageshack.us/i/wellshit.jpg/)

@Zetta:

> @ÅÐмIядζ:
>
> > @Zonova:
> >
> > > Admiral, I have to say, that computer sounds sexy.
> >
> > >my face when my 100MHz is faster than their 4GHz quad core
>
> 100mhz mips chip
> 8mb ssd
> 2mb ddr ram
> 4x gigabit ethernet
> 2x wifi antennae (dual band)

>my face when you brick it trying to install linux

@Devo:

> "Intel, Yuck"
>
> I personally like Intel, always have. They cost a bit more sure, but it's your CPU, why
> go budget on one of the most critical components in your system. AMD uses cheap thermal
> transfer that dries out 10 times faster than intel also… after building over 8000 pc's using
> both combinations... im just stating my experience, not what I think is fact.

Nothing to do with budget, I simply prefer AMD.

@ÅÐмiядζ:

> @Zetta:
>
> > @ÅÐмIядζ:
> >
> > > @Zonova:
> > >
> > > > Admiral, I have to say, that computer sounds sexy.
> > >
> > > >my face when my 100MHz is faster than their 4GHz quad core
> >
> > 100mhz mips chip
> > 8mb ssd
> > 2mb ddr ram
> > 4x gigabit ethernet
> > 2x wifi antennae (dual band)
>
> >my face when you brick it trying to install linux

its running linux

@Zonova:

> Admiral, could you explain what exactly an ARM processor is?

As ICT said, they're microprocessors, using the [RISC](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reduced_instruction_set_computing) model, which in short means that they can execute much more instructions per MHz than anything CISC (aka x86) could spit out.
Even know they're much lower in terms of raw performance, they can still compete pretty well and even outpreform certain processors in some cases (a 800MHz ARM Cortex outperformed a 1GHz Intel Atom in the past).
The above mentioned for my ideal setup, would be best suited for my artificial life simulator, which I plan on designing in ARM-Assembly.
EDIT: It also uses less power

@ÅÐмiядζ:

> EDIT: It also uses less power

That's actually the main reason for arm processors. Better performance was just a side benefit, they never intended for arm processors to reach cycle speeds as close to CISC processors or even have multiple core.

BTW ARM Armada is quad core based on Cortex

• 2 weeks later...
Oh, this reminds me, about how many lines of… say C, could you fit on a 5 1/4 floppy?

Im sure it was, but it was before i was born xD. Anyways, you generally can not run Crysis at 50+ fps on a portable system... and please dont look up a youtube video of someone doing it just to annoy me.
Seriously though, Robin, would you know of any computer that fits my need? I'm generally depending on the smarter end of the forum for an answer.... that uses at least a bit of proper graammer.. or is at least readable with out giving one a headache.

I can run Crysis: Warhead at 50+ FPS just fine.

My spartan build was £300 or so. I've since added a few things, but they're not required.
* CoolerMaster Elite 330 - £24.* Corsair CX400W PSU - £35* Kingston HyperX 1GB 1066MHz (x2, bought due to MOBO restrictions) - £40* MBD5127 Biostar TP45D2-A7 Motherboard - £55* Radeon HD 5770 1GB - £100* Intel Core2Duo e4700 (Second-hand) - £50

**Total cost:** £304.

Built this in February. Since then I've doubled the RAM to 4GB and installed a new 1TB Caviare Black.

You don't need to burst your bank to build a mid-high end machine. Just look around for good deals and _do your research._