Find results in...

Favorite Computer Build

saadhamza

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My latest machine has these specifications:
1x Thermaltake V3 Midi Tower, Black Edition.
1x OCZ Fatal1ty Series 550W.
1x Asus M4A79XTD EVO, sAM3.
1x AMD Athlon II X4 640 3 GHz, sAM3.
1x OCZ Gold DDR3, 1600-4 GiB RAM.
1x Sapphire Radeon HD5770 Vapor-X, 1 GiB.
1x Creative LabsX-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI.
1x PCIe USB 3.
1x Samsung 500 GiB HD 7200rpm.
2x LG DVD-RW 22X DL SATA.

@Zetta:

> @Robin:
>
> > (inb4 someone posts a pre-2006 game which is properly threaded)
>
> Doom (1993): Server process calculates maths/physics. Client process draws/takes input. Basically the game runs in 2 processes (or on some builds 2 threads)

Doom is written in Intel-Pentium-optimised Assembly, just like Quake. Which is exceptional nowadays. Most programmes, even when written in C, don't use the processor efficiently and it has nothing to do with multi-threading, but with CISC-architectures and pipelines. As for multi-threading, it is a flawed concept that could have been done better, as many cycles are simply wasted by the operating system (e.g. asynchronous functions are generally useless, because they use the entire time slice of the process).

Regards,
  Stephan.

@Jungletoeâ„¢:

> I saw an ad my newspaper for a 1000 gig hard drive for $89\. Give me memory and I'm happy.

£70 for a 1TB isn't particularly good. Stop saying 'memory' as well. This is the second time you've said it so damn ambiguously.

@Jungletoeâ„¢:

> It isn't good? Around here you can buy a 4 gig SD card for $20…

An SD card is _not_ a harddrive. You won't find consistent $ per GB ratio across formats. Hell, just look at the price difference between solid-state drives and hard-disk drives.

I recently got myself a SATA-III 1TB Caviare Black with a 64mB cache for £70.

If you're seriously basing your idea of good prices off of newspaper ads, you're a fool.

@Jungletoeâ„¢:

> I'm not good with hardware at all. Software is a different story…

They come hand in hand. Also, I as asking why you were posting here due to the fact that we're recommending computer builds to someone. You just walked in and said you found an ad in your newspaper for a 1TB hard-disk drive. If you want to ask about it, go make your own thread.

I miss my old computer… well it wasnt old.. but I dont have it anymore. It had a ducking 3.4 ghz quad core processor... and everything else was the maximum possible for about 2 months ago. It cost about 1000 dollars, including Win 7.

Ok, first question:
If I cracked Win 7, and used the serial key on my laptop to put the OS on my "will be" computer, will it have any errors? Or any extra problems I wouldnt have if I got it normally.

Now, here is my revised edition. I guess you could call it the beta list.

Graphics Card:
ATI Radeon HD 5770 (160)
Diamond Radeon HD 5770 (165)
I dont know the difference between them

HDD:
Western Digital 500gb (70)

Processor:
Athlon II X3 450 Triple Core 3.2 Ghz (90)
This was the best I could find. I like it more then the quad core from before because I think I could get a mobo with a core unlocker, to turn this in to a quad core beast. Though, if I can unlock a fourth core, would there be any problems? What's an L3 Cache? Tell me if you recommend something else

Memory:
Kingston 4gb RAM DDR3 (80)

Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131646
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131366
(I posted the links for easier access) (Im not exactly sure what TurboV and Turbo Key do, so im more leaning towards the one with the core unlocker)

PSU:
OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W
Ill take any suggestions,

Any cd/dvd drive. I cant think of any.

Case:
NZXT Apollo Mid Tower Computer Case

That ya go. Suggestions?

Also, this adds up to about 610 dollars. Can anyone recommended any ways to bring it down about 100 dollars by exchanging small things? Or, any amount that i can bring down, preferably on the things like the PSU, Case, and such.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

@Robin:

> >American keyboard.
>
> Get out.
>
> Also, how the hell do you use that shift key without accidentally hitting 'turbo' all the time? Looks very impractical.

I'd just like to point out that that's his specific keyboard, and that most American keyboards don't have a turbo button.

Also, Macs call it "return", and we have macs in America, does that count?