Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse Online Odyssey

SkywardRiver

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> You should add a shadow under the flying mounts. I think it would help with giving more of a flying look. Pretty cool though how does it work? Are mounts hard coded or is there an editor? Just curious.

At the moment, Hard-coded. When I think back, I shoulda just made an editor. Woulda been sooo much easier.

Actually, I think I'll have to make an editor now hahaha.

Love the mount idea, but with the way movement is handled in Eclipse, it's going to look and perform poorly with a handful of people on mounts in the same area. It's just with the way Eclipse handles movement. The client tells the server it's moving, then the server tells everyone else the player has moved, for every single tile movement. When you increase the speed of a player, it is increasing the number of packets being sent from client to server and server to every other player, far more frequently. You'll notice significant "jumping" with multiple people on mounts around each other.

It's really unavoidable unless you rewrite the movement processing. A significant task.

If you're not aiming for a ton of people in a single area at once, you won't have much of a problem other than just the strain on network latency.

> What happened to all of the Skywardens stuff??

Handed down to other staff. We could still use your music on this project though!

> Also be mindful of height sized sprites, the Y offset of the sprite **does not** render over fringe tiles. Rob helped me with a temp fix for it but it needed more work.

That's what I'm working on next :D

> Love the mount idea, but with the way movement is handled in Eclipse, it's going to look and perform poorly with a handful of people on mounts in the same area. It's just with the way Eclipse handles movement. The client tells the server it's moving, then the server tells everyone else the player has moved, for every single tile movement. When you increase the speed of a player, it is increasing the number of packets being sent from client to server and server to every other player, far more frequently. You'll notice significant "jumping" with multiple people on mounts around each other.
>
>  
>
> It's really unavoidable unless you rewrite the movement processing. A significant task.
>
>  
>
> If you're not aiming for a ton of people in a single area at once, you won't have much of a problem other than just the strain on network latency.

That's part of the reason mounts are rare. It's a very valid problem, but I'm afraid I lack the knowledge to create a new way of handling movement.

> Very impressive. I dont say that alot. Good work!

Thanks mate! Hoping to release more and more info in the weeks to come :)

Hello there!

So, I thought I'd clue you in to my plans for the future of this game.

Some of you know that the Max Level Cap will be 255, but I don't think the game will start that way…

I'm planning on releasing the game as an open Beta with a set level cap and content up to level 30\. Every 2-3 weeks prior to this I'm hoping to up the level cap by 10 and release a whole new slew of content. The plan is to continue in this fashion until the level cap is reached at 255.

After that content will come more slowly, but it will be coming. Endgame should be fun and challenging, but at the same time, rewarding! Get the best gear you possibly can and participate in Guild Wars and PvP Arenas!

Anyways, that's the plan.

Thoughts?

I had to think about the whole level cap thing for a while and at first i disagreed but really it makes sense. you'd be able to release the game much earlier and players wouldnt reach the cap before more content was released anyway so it'd be like they're chasing you.

i like it and i might borrow the stealth thing if you dont mind

> I had to think about the whole level cap thing for a while and at first i disagreed but really it makes sense. you'd be able to release the game much earlier and players wouldnt reach the cap before more content was released anyway so it'd be like they're chasing you.
>
> i like it and i might borrow the stealth thing if you dont mind

That was the plan :D

And yeah lol go ahead ;)