Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse is being shut down

Robin

That's right, Eclipse is being shut down. If anyone has bothered actually looking at anything over the past 2 years you'll know that as head developer I've taken Eclipse to a whole new level. I've worked hard to push people to challenge themselves and get out of their comfort zones. You have not, however, bothered to do anything.

I've spent my valuable free time explaining systems, pushing out open-source software, supplying you with everything you need to make a game with… and what do I get in return? America kids smuggly commenting on my outlook on life from their middle-class detached houses calmly situated in the American suburbs.

Two years now I've been working on this software and how many people have I seen actually make anything good from it? About three. All of them are on my team. You're all so pre-occupied with telling me how much Origins sucks because of it's lack of a quest/projectile/guild system that you fail to see what you have. I released one of the best Eclipse games ever and I did it all within 24 hours. Since then I've taken up the most talented users on the community. Anna with her fantastic landscape mapping. Rory with his professional graphics and design. Sebastian with his... well yeah, Seb has just been getting high on shrooms for the last two weeks. But the point still stands.

It seems that the only talent we actually have is now working on Crystalshire and as such there is obviously no need to go out of my way to release my work as open-source. If I'm the only person who's actually taking advantage of the software then I don't need to spend entire days writing up documentation and answering your stupid, uneducated questions.

You've brought this upon yourselves, people. You just kept on taking. You've offered nothing in return. I'm bored, everypony. Bored of your bigoted American opinions. Bored of your lazy, fat arses asking for me to do everything for you. Bored of the trolls, the idiots and the blind.

So this is it. It really shouldn't be a surprise to you. I've explained all the systems, all the concepts... I've gone through giving in-depth explanations on how to make a game yet you all just end up coming back in with a half-baked Pokémon or Zelda fan game showing the lack of originality, imagination and talent which is so rife within the commercial games industry. Independent game designers are meant to be the last refuge of the intelligent, the talented and the visionaries of game development. You're cheapening the independent game development community and I'm guilty of facilitating it by giving you everything you need to do this.

Honestly, I could go on and on with how you lot sicken me, but I really don't need to. Rarity articulates my feelings perfectly in this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSbXGsysAAk

So I talked to Evan (Marsh) and told him that I simply wasn't going to go on with the development. Obviously this was quite a problem for him. Without a programmer Origins would wither up and die just like it's predecessors. We discussed the possibility of bringing in a new head developer but I pointed out that the community currently has the collective programming skills of a small, dead goldfish.

I suggested that we turn the community to another purpose - something everyone can enjoy. Collectively the administration & moderation has agreed that this something should be My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic. This cartoon handles the really heavy real-life issues that you lot need to learn to deal with. An obvious example being the song above.

So here it is. My final gift to a community of leeching, parasitic American teenagers. I've re-designed the website to match our new subject matter. All that's left to say is this;

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Tivoilos:

> Sorry I'm calling Bull Shit on this one, it's too close to April Fools Right now for me to even for one second believe this.

If you honestly didn't see this coming then you obviously haven't bothered looking around the forum recently.

@Rainbow:

> Cruel? You think I'm doing this to spite you personally?
>
> Honestly, your selfishness knows no bounds.

My selfishness?
You write about "Bored of your bigoted American opinions"
I generally from Russia…
And I wish to try and make not "half-baked Pokémon or Zelda"...
I wished to make really good game... I have a talent as it seems to me.
But the Eclipse site is disappear, all resources, tutorials. It is a pity. Really pity...
And sorry for my English.