Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This is it

Techno 5.0

@ZoSo:

> All the kids are busy building stuff on Minecraft, nobody will come here to create anything anymore.

That's why we need something new. Think about when Eclipse Origins was still having updates. So many new users were joining and checking out the new versions, posting new tutorials and questions. Then when Robin announced he was resigning, the forum kind of died in a way. Sure there were still lots of users online, (Not as much as before though), but people stopped posting all of the sudden.

I was a member at mirage in 06, and remember hearing about this site branching off from the original Mirage Source forum. I didn't really pay much attention to it for awhile, then around 4 years ago I started visiting Eclipse just about every day. Just to read all the topics and check out the new updates. I saw something back then that I don't see today. Fun. In every post people were having fun, the moderators and admins were having fun, the users were having fun. Everybody was happy.

Around the release of origins people started to criticize more. Which is not a bad thing at all. There is a difference from giving advise, and just being a dick. Even people who I thought were pretty nice guys started acting like dicks. After that, people started treating the users with lower titles ("Eclipse Newbie") different. If they applied for a job people would not accept them, simply because of the title under the name. I don't agree that people stopped giving advise, because the forum is still pretty helpful. The help just got rude. Answering in 1 or 2 worded posts, unnecessary and offensive comments at the end of posts. People think that just because you have the "Eclipse Newbie" title or "Junior Member" title. That you are new to this world and you don't know shit. When most "Eclipse Newbies" are 10x smarter and better at what they do, then most "Advanced Members" and some "Veterans". A register date or post count, does not determine the experience someone has in the feild of work they do. It may show how active they are on the forum, but not experience.

I have been an artist for years now, I have gone to collage for graphic design, and have pixeled for hundreds of games. Yet people still treat me like I know nothing when I post. I have tried to talk to people in the shoutbox friendly, but some members say "I don't talk to noobs". That happen to me the other day, that's when I realized how bad this site is becoming.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Muffen:

> people started treating the users with lower titles ("Eclipse Newbie") different.

That's not true. It's always been like that since I can remember.

I believe even Robin has lectured the lot of us to respect lower post-count members not knowing their credentials. He even poses as a great role-model. He keeps his post-count low to this day, not caring about the superficial need for "posts" and their correlation to respect.

@Muffen:

> After that, people started treating the users with lower titles ("Eclipse Newbie") different. If they applied for a job people would not accept them, simply because of the title under the name. I don't agree that people stopped giving advise, because the forum is still pretty helpful. The help just got rude. Answering in 1 or 2 worded posts, unnecessary and offensive comments at the end of posts. People think that just because you have the "Eclipse Newbie" title or "Junior Member" title. That you are new to this world and you don't know shit. When most "Eclipse Newbies" are 10x smarter and better at what they do, then most "Advanced Members" and some "Veterans". A register date or post count, does not determine the experience someone has in the feild of work they do. It may show how active they are on the forum, but not experience.
>
> I have been an artist for years now, I have gone to collage for graphic design, and have pixeled for hundreds of games. Yet people still treat me like I know nothing when I post. I have tried to talk to people in the shoutbox friendly, but some members say "I don't talk to noobs". That happen to me the other day, that's when I realized how bad this site is becoming.

I hate it when people do that. I like most of the changes that have happened, but I can't believe people discriminate against newbs. It's just bullshit to think that someone who hasn't been here as long or hasn't posted much can't make a good game.

@Muffen:

> I have been an artist for years now, I have gone to collage for graphic design, and have pixeled for hundreds of games. Yet people still treat me like I know nothing when I post. I have tried to talk to people in the shoutbox friendly, but some members say "I don't talk to noobs". That happen to me the other day, that's when I realized how bad this site is becoming.

I'd say it's a hell of a lot better than it used to be. I tend to slap anyone who assumes. Hell, back when I first started I got all kinds of shit from the veterans. I was constantly harassed through PMs and forum posts from people telling me to stop meddling in matters I didn't understand and to stop assuming I knew what I was talking about.

Was a year or so of posting high-level theory lectures, practical speed test results and all kinds of tutorials that people finally stopped assuming I was some kid who didn't know how to program.

Sitting around complaining that people don't take you seriously isn't going to help at all, however. You need to prove your worth by showing that you know what you're talking about. I still get people who use my engine, steal my graphics, take all my software choices and try in every single way to copy everything I do… then turn around, claim I don't know what I'm talking about and call me an idiot.

**tl;dr:** People are dicks regardless of environment or time.

The forum's gone to shit, yeah. I was never about the games. I go into the WIP board maybe once every four months. When I was active it was because everything posted was hilarious and I loved the people here and had a bunch of friends here. I don't have friends here anymore, so I barely ever come online. It's just the state of Eclipse. I really don't care for it anymore. I'd stop coming altogether but it's bookmarked and I'd feel like a shithead deleting the bookmark because of all the great times.

I don't blame Robin. I feel like he's sped it up. I definitely don't like him, not one bit. But I don't blame him. It's no one's fault, it's simply that Eclipse has changed on its own.

@Pinkamina:

> The forum's gone to shit, yeah. I was never about the games. I go into the WIP board maybe once every four months. When I was active it was because everything posted was hilarious and I loved the people here and had a bunch of friends here. I don't have friends here anymore, so I barely ever come online. It's just the state of Eclipse. I really don't care for it anymore. I'd stop coming altogether but it's bookmarked and I'd feel like a shithead deleting the bookmark because of all the great times.
>
> I don't blame Robin. I feel like he's sped it up. I definitely don't like him, not one bit. But I don't blame him. It's no one's fault, it's simply that Eclipse has changed on its own.

Then leave already. Coming on just to post in threads complaining about the forum is plain stupid. You don't have friends here any more because you don't come on to make friends any more. You come on to bitch about how nothing is the same and how you don't have any friends.

You make friends by becoming an active part of the community, spending days here at a time just chatting away.

If you don't do that then how the hell do you expect to meet anyone new? It's like going to a new University class once or twice then quitting because you don't know anyone.

It actually requires effort to meet new people. The fact that you're blaming me for accelerating a process which came about through your own actions is absolutely hilarious.

@Pinkamina:

> it's simply that Eclipse has changed on its own.

That kind of attitude changes an environment for the worse.

Why are we still dwelling on what has and has not changed? Let's work on improving what we already have. **It's all perspective**, anyways.

**:EDIT:**
Basically what Robin said. :P

Honestly? I'd say y'all need some time away. I did, came back, and it feels like old Eclipse for me.

I still dick about in the shoutbox, I act like a god when I find a way around the filters, I post useful information and tips in Q&A, criticize constructively in Show Off, and give fistbumps to the newfags in WIPs sometimes.

I don't leave because I don't have the balls to drop the place after all the years I've been here. Do I look like I'm complaining? If I do, I'd like to apologize, because I'm definitely not. I'm stating my opinion. If my opinion is stupid in your eyes, then I honestly don't care.

@Pinkamina:

> I don't leave because I don't have the balls to drop the place after all the years I've been here. Do I look like I'm complaining? If I do, I'd like to apologize, because I'm definitely not. I'm stating my opinion. If my opinion is stupid in your eyes, then I honestly don't care.

Well, if we even consider your opinion stupid in the first place, we surely don't care that you don't care about whether or not we care.

So–HA!

@ZoSo:

> All the kids are busy building stuff on Minecraft, nobody will come here to create anything anymore.

You're actually somewhat correct… When I was watching Notch's Ludum Dare programming stream then all the kids watching on the comments kept saying "Wow, that looks hard. I'll never do that."

@Marsh:

> Admiral and Godlord are working on a C Version. Not sure on the dev process at the moment though.

I'm pretty sure it's in the early stages. Evilbunnie has made an engine already but it doesn't use it's own library and everything, which is what Stephan is doing.

C versions of the engine have been in development for years now here and there.. its pretty uninteresting.
Also, a C version of the engine pretty much wont help beginners to pick up the engine.

If you guys want new people here you guys need to make a more friendly version of CS:DE, or give Origins some simple noobwanted featuers to begin with.

You also need to be more nice to new members posting shit and help them out. Else this community is screwed to hell.

It'd also be good to give out rewards to advanced members helping new people, like custom titles.. or monthly hall of fame or whatever. I mean this is a quite a huge community but its built exactly like it was years ago.. and always been, its built on Mirage Source/Elysium just like the engine.

Nobody wants to come on here and get bashed by "Advanced" idiots, heck i used to enjoy Browsing these forums now i only check funny but pathetic topics Robin tell me to check. I can't stand the amount of crap in the "Recently Unreaded" everyday. I even to post some tutorials, but now they're buried somewhere like everything else that once perhaps was good.

@ZoSo:

> You also need to be more nice to new members posting shit and help them out.
>
> … or monthly hall of fame or whatever ...
>
> Nobody wants to come on here and get bashed by "Advanced" idiots,

Three very good points.
I want #2 now.

Also, I suggest a "Site Discussion" board for people to post website improvement ideas.

@Marsh:

> Admiral and Godlord are working on a C Version. Not sure on the dev process at the moment though.

@Lenton:

> Of course Eclipse C will be released, lets just wait.
>
> ![](http://www.photographicsolutionsaberdeen.co.uk/css/images/portfolio/thumbnail_large/web0028.jpg)

While that may or may not be true people shouldnt be waiting around for new versions anyway. Create something with what you have and if you dont like it create something on your own.

Back when we were doing monthly updates people wouldnt make games because they would always just be waiting for the next release.