• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse - Nightly Releases (2.4 -> 3.0)

jcsnider

Eclipse - Offical Nightly Releases

Current Version: 3.0 Electrified Events

What is it?

* Alright, we have a new official version of Eclipse. It has a shiny new Event System and everything is going well… however... it _could_ possibly use a little bit more. But there is nothing worse then returning to a overly buggy engine that no one feels good about using. The answer? Nightly releases. I am going to make it a goal to continue developing candidates that could become official versions of Eclipse. Only, when these candidates are released here (won't be every night)… they are not as bug-free but they might be a little newer and enriched with new additions here and there...

Plans and Features

>! * ~~I have several plans but here is a short list, just to name a few…~~
* ~~Create weather and fog based on maps.~~
* ~~Create Sound Attribute Tile. Where volume increases/decreases based on distance.~~
* ~~Add new event commands and improve current system. (IE: Fading/Weather/Fogs/etc…)~~
* ~~Re-create AI for npcs. (Make it more intelligent)~~

Known Bugs

* None!

Please report all bugs to me in this topic.

>! If the bug is a random glitch then the best way to report it is by explaining what happend, give screenshots if possible and tell me what you did to make the bug appear.
>! If the bug is an error such as runtime errors or automation errors. I really need to know what number you receive AND what line you get this error on. In order to get the line, open the project in Vb6 and run the client/server in debug mode by pressing F5\. When the runtime/automation error appears, hit debug and copy/paste the line that will be highlighted in yellow.
>! The more information I have, the more likely I will be able to fix it helping you, me, and everyone else with the error.

Todo

* Wait for bug reports. Relax a bit.

Screenshots

>! ![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/459deb343057d29a9f79265940f75a5a.png)
>! This shows the same exact thing but it is DX8 powered. Notice the font, it is now rendered as a dx8 texture instead of through GDI. (Much faster.)
>! ![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/bf9c3c7cba89960c95e615125a8deca0.png)
>! This is the new map properties page. It shows how you can set settings like fog/weather/sounds/etc…
>! ![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/4b5a27f511d1578ddda171d43483b97c.png)
>! Simple fog test.
>! ![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/cd7cb82087c0de050643b021c51f911d.png)
>! Rain?
>! ![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/32d9163ccab2380f79a0663c94deb036.png)
>! New demo map showing off the new sound tile attributes/weather/fogs/etc…

Download

* [Eclipse 3.0 - Electrified Events!](http://jcsnider.freemmorpgmaker.com/Eclipse%20-%20%203.0%20-%20Electrified%20Events.zip)

Final Notes

* So… why am I doing all of this? It is simple, I wanna move forward. People have PMed me and posted in the Official release topic about ideas and asking how to accomplish stuff I think would be really cool to see in some of these games. But I certainly don't want to start releasing official engine updates on a day to day basis. Also, this is a good way to keep the community informed of what I am doing in my new position.

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New toys? For me? Ohhh I promise I won't break them this time!

… Anyway, sounds interesting. ;] There's not a lot of stable DX8 examples around. I found a few but they all crashed my graphic drivers within 5 seconds.

Actually, that is not a problem. Got a "simple" set up but whenever the device is lost it is able to restore properly unlike in the CSDE we currently have.

Now, I am adding in GDIPlus classes to load the png files and convert the width/heights of NPOT images to POT while logging the first width/height so dynamic character sizes and everything will work, also more friendly for new users.

Also… don't make a promise that you may or may not keep ;).

Well. Maybe it is because it is 5am in the morning or maybe it is because I don't know a lot about DX8 I really need to find some sort of code example on how to use

CreateTextureFromMemory/CreateTextureFromMemoryEx….

If anyone knows anything about these functions I could really use some pointers on what type of parameter I am supposed to pass for the srcData as Any because an array of bytes (file data) simply is not working and has stopped my progress on creation.

Will continue when I wake up, night all!

Why do you want to Create Textures from Memory instead from files?
If you do so, you actually need the pure binary data of the image file.. ie. from a stream.
Make sure you point to the first element. i.e. array(0)

> because an array of bytes (file data) simply is not working

What exactly was in the array?
I mean, did you load stuff from file in there?

@jcsnider:

> Well. Maybe it is because it is 5am in the morning or maybe it is because I don't know a lot about DX8 I really need to find some sort of code example on how to use
>
> CreateTextureFromMemory/CreateTextureFromMemoryEx….
>
> If anyone knows anything about these functions I could really use some pointers on what type of parameter I am supposed to pass for the srcData as Any because an array of bytes (file data) simply is not working and has stopped my progress on creation.
>
> Will continue when I wake up, night all!

For the srcData, you should be passing to it the first element of your array of bytes which contains the file's data.

PS : You should already have the file data loaded in memory.

@hitman66333:

> If the event to the system would add quests, pets and the system works, this new version would be ideal!

Well actually a quest system isn't exactly needed given that an event system is in place.
@Dr.:

> aren't projectiles a little more pressing than pets? Just saying.

Well I would agree that projectiles would be just as important. I can't say everyone will agree they are more important then pets because everyone has different goals for thier game.

Well…. I was typing up a very long response on why I couldn't get the texture to load up through memory using your alls advice when I hit the run button on accident and it worked! Thanks for the support and we are 1 large step closer to easy-to-use DX8 :D...

As for other features... I will consider them but I would not hold you breath for pets/quests at this time.

Gonna take me quite a bit in order to get it ready… but I am going to need testers!

Anyone with a graphics card here that does NOT accept non power of two textures wanna help me test my workaround?

(If you do not know if you graphics card supports non-power of two textures or not, it probably does and won't be alot of help.)

@Stein:

> Power of two, 2,4,6,8,10,12 etc. etc. Some cheaper unstable cards have issues handling sizes that are NOT dividable by 2.

Not really. A power of two is 2^x for integer x. 6 is NOT a power of two. It is divisible by two, but not a power of two.

Some powers of two are 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, et cetera.