Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[Pro Bono]Eclipse 3.1 - Looking for a GUI Artist.

jcsnider

Alright!

There seems to be a lot going on around here. A random programming contest opens up and a new version of Eclipse is officially released.

A few weeks later, we have a new web developer who is working on a secret project and I am finally about to release my final version of Eclipse for the foreseeable future. Anyways, I am working on debugging and cleaning up my messy code a little tonight and I realized… if everything is changing, then why not the general look and feel of Eclipse in the brand new version... so here I am.

I am requesting anyone with some spare time who feels like they could create a nice new GUI for eclipse to step-up and lend a helping hand to the head developer who has no artistic bone in his body.

Here is the information about the new GUI.

* It will be general off-screen style. All GUI elements should be created as if in BMP format. Nothing will be rendered on to the screen… Now, if you move everything to the left side, top/bottom or whatever, that is up to you.
* I would personally like to keep the GUI midnight color scheme or a modern light green/white style. It is also up to you.
* Generally, I would like to keep everything the same size as standard Eclipse 2.0,2.3, or even 3.0\. I do not want to get stuck with a ton of form work.
* It would be really nice if we could throw in a nice medieval feeling into it as well considering Eclipse is mainly designed for RMXP style rpgs.

If you have no idea what I am talking about, here is a link to the Nightly Releases thread.
This covers the releases from 2.3 onward to 3.0 at this point. This new GUI will be released with 3.1 when the time comes….
http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf2/index.php/topic,80930.msg866516.html#msg866516

For those wanting to help. Please give examples of your previous work. I will choose who I would like to help after I receive several examples from several members.

Finally, I would like to conclude that this is a free job, I really have no money to hand out at this current time so I will thank whomever helps with this task in advanced!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome, here is my submission

>! ![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/e51b9d02cf96243f14b8e2e81439b47f.png)
And yes you can use Schlong man as eclipse's main sprite.

In all seriousness i wish you luck on this, i know a few good people but i wouldn't recommend them without said permission from those individuals first.

Regards,
_General Pony_

Why no Gui drawn on the Game screen? (Just ask i'm don't criticize ) ^^ 
I just ask because alot of people are always trying to find someone or a way to make the Gui drawn to screen maybe making it like Crystalshire or better would be nice?  i just give suggestions feel free to do how you desire ;)

Multiple reasons.

1\. A lot of work to re-write the code to work on the screen. (IE: Positioning and handling mouse input)
2\. It is a lot harder for users to move their GUI around. Currently, it is simple point and click. (I like keeping it simple.)
3\. It would require a lot of work -_- (Shit, already said that)

I am looking for something simple and elegant but also something that works without edits, right now, the standard GUI style works best for me.

![](http://troll5.com/posts/1323539907.1203366373.Your-argument-is-invalid.jpg)

I was joking , it's true that when you said that it made me change my view over it right now i feel the need to change again the gui i made … :O anyways i hope you find what you need !

I don't know if you want to change the game icon or not but i gived it a try.
And here its an exemple of gui that i'm working on…
And the last file its a client gui that i made for an eclipse project.... (ignore the sample on the background)

@jcsnider:

> Multiple reasons.
>
> 1\. A lot of work to re-write the code to work on the screen. (IE: Positioning and handling mouse input)
> 2\. It is a lot harder for users to move their GUI around. Currently, it is simple point and click. (I like keeping it simple.)
> 3\. It would require a lot of work -_- (bum candy, already said that)
>
> I am looking for something simple and elegant but also something that works without edits, right now, the standard GUI style works best for me.

Anyone serious about game development never controls. Everything is drawn to the screen. Not saying its necessary in the latest eclipse release because the majority of people here are hobbyists, just that if you ever got serious about gave development you would not use the IDE's objects.

@General:

> Anyone serious about game development never controls. Everything is drawn to the screen. Not saying its necessary in the latest eclipse release because the majority of people here are hobbyists, just that if you ever got serious about gave development you would not use the IDE's objects.

You could easily make a GREAT game with form controls.

I don't think you should be doing this. An engine should be a bare framework that developers can use for their own projects. The graphics of the engine should be at a complete minimum, therefore the developer would be motivated to create something of their own. It's the reason why RPG Maker graphics are used.

Though I suppose it is your engine, do whatever.

I am looking for something that@Harris:

> The graphics of the engine should be at a complete minimum, therefore the developer would be motivated to create something of their own.

That is just the point. I am not really hoping to change the whole layout or anything. I am mainly looking for a set of different images to be used for the buttons/menus with Eclipse 3.1 plastered on it that will for one, be in png format to begin with like the engine will support, (Current graphics are jpg, they would be a pain to convert over and would look awful.) and two, give more of an engine feel so people will be more motivated to make their own GUI for their games.

However, since I am requesting this as an unpaid job, if, whomever I decide to help me in this task wants to change the design a little I will remain open to it.

@Ecclestio:

> I decided to give it a go, but before I get in too deep, what do you think of this?
>
> >! ![](http://i.minus.com/i1KCuVBHkchcJ.png)

That looks really nice, apart from the buttons. That blue doesn't go at all, and the font is pretty horrible imo. :P

Other than that, it looks great. :)

JC in my opinion I hope not bad one. I think the GUI should be like something that doesn't have Eclipse on it. Basicly like the One the normal one has. I think this will be better for all the people that just are kinda looking to make a basic game without having to change there GUI. Which this will problably be a good thing for the graphics makers sence they will get more money etc. I think the graphics should stay simple :).

> It will be general off-screen style. All GUI elements should be created as if in BMP format. Nothing will be rendered on to the screen… Now, if you move everything to the left side, top/bottom or whatever, that is up to you.
> I would personally like to keep the GUI midnight color scheme or a modern light green/white style. It is also up to you.

Its simple, modern green. Fits the site, and engine. Not rendered…...