Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What will make a game unique, and make players want to play it?

Sekiguchi Okitsugu

My main suggestion would be not to use default graphics. Get custom icons and map tiles, etc. Nobody wants to play game with graphics they've seen a thousand times before.

My second suggestion would be to add in custom features. Eclipse SkyWyre is already a great engine on it's own but unless you hire a programmer or program your own features in, it'll be just like every other project. For example maybe hire someone to add in cutscenes, cool armor animations, etc. But since you're new I'd hold off on this for a while. Don't spend money until you know you're serious about this project. Your game can still be fun without custom features.

1\. An MMO? WoW is an MMO, GuildWars is an MMO, Runescape is an MMO… I have never seen an Eclipse-based game meet the requirements for being an MMO. MASSIVELY Multiplayer... If you're asking how to get players to play your game, I doubt it will be very massive.

2\. Legendary Online. Probably a name that's already being used, as it's so cliche. Think of something unique in terms of a name.

@'Xlithan':

> 1\. An MMO? WoW is an MMO, GuildWars is an MMO, Runescape is an MMO… I have never seen an Eclipse-based game meet the requirements for being an MMO. MASSIVELY Multiplayer... If you're asking how to get players to play your game, I doubt it will be very massive.
>
> 2\. Legendary Online. Probably a name that's already being used, as it's so cliche. Think of something unique in terms of a name.

just a shot in the dark but Pokemon Mystery Universe was the only eclipse-based game that i know of that was relatively close to being an MMO.

Anywho, your best bet is to not worry about the player count so early in development of any game and just work on the game itself instead. player count comes later after you've got something to show.

Come on guys, the engine/server dies if it has more than 60 players online, each doing their own thing, not just sitting there.
You should better make just a simple awesome RPG than waste time with this engine and money on a vb6 coder and custom graphics.

Nin Online has hit 300 player peaks. With over 10k members and is based around Eclipse. I think that is considered MMO, just people are throwing around 1,000 players and all that. I can make the server hold 1k easy anyway.

Making a game or franchise from scratch is an expensive endeavor. Finding something that isn't done yet and making people want to go to it, is hard. Only few people can do this and why most people end up making clones/fangames since they are easier to make/attract fans in an existing franchise. So what to do? You got to try to be as different as possible or make a game that you always wanted to be made into a videogame for fun (hope other people like it) and adjust it slowly to be your own work rather than a game made from an existing piece of art that you ripped of off. That's what we're doing.

Girl: Do u even want to be with me forever?
Boy: No
Girl: Do u even like me?
Girl: Would u cry if i walked away?
She heard enough and was hurt… She walked away with tears in her eyes
The boy grabbed her arm
Boy: Your not pretty...your beautiful
Boy: I dont want to be with u forever...I need to be with u forever
Boy: I dont like u...I love u
Boy: I wouldn't cry if u walked away......I would die if u walked away.
Boy Whispers: Plz stay with me
Girl: I will...
*Tonight at midnight your true love will realize they loves u
*Something good will happen to u at 1-4pm
*Tomorrow it could be anywhere!!!
*Get ready for the shock of your life!
*If u dont post this to 5 other comments... You will have baD luck in relationships for the next 10 years