Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Project Vertigo Origins [ 1.1.4 – FINAL ] (2D Side-Scrolling ORPG Engine)

mrmiguu

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
[UPDATE]

A new Project Vertigo Origins has been released (based on the _Eclipse Origins 2.0 Beta_ release).
I updated the original post to match all new and revised information.

Version 1.0.0's Change Log:

> Project Vertigo Origins 1.0.0
> ______________________________________________________________________________
> [o]Added platform tiles (can jump up through and drop down from, but not naturally due to gravity).
> [o]Added water tiles (move slower through them).
> [o]Altered character PNG files to left and right only format.
> [o]Added fully working gravity.
> [o]Added fully working jumping (height varies on length of jump key held).
> [o]Added admin "flying" while editing maps for more the developer's convenience.
> [o]Added ability to fall from one map to another (and vice versa via jumping up through the top of a map).
> [o]Converted the shift key to make the player run (as opposed to walk).
> [o]Added directional shifting (left and right) via the HOME key.
> [o]Added jumping and landing sound effects.

Download link:

> [See the update page](http://173.51.208.104/pv/).

**:EDIT:**
**Do not worry about newly found bugs. I will post manual fixes for those members that wish to start making their game(s) with this first release. I will also leave old version downloads up. Lastly, I will post revised downloads for the latest versions, containing the most current of bug fixes.**

A few bugs found:

> [o]~~NPCs spawn on top of water; this will be an easy fix~~ (it was).
> [o]~~NPCs refuse to walk through water tiles.~~
> [o]~~Downward player descent through their first water-tile doesn't not appropriate their y-offset accordingly to the speed of water tiles.~~
> [o]~~NPCs do not walk through water at a slower rate.~~
> [o]~~Player's horizontal collision with water tiles is off as well.~~
> [o]~~The HOME key, when used while moving, will stagger a player's movement.~~

[UPDATE]

I recently posted a ton (and by "ton," I mean 4) of tutorial hotfixes already for the first release.

Go and check them out! They're ~~in the _Tutorials->Source_ section of these forums~~ right here:

Hotfixes for Version 1.0.0:

> [Water Offset Hotfix](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,77022.0.html)
> [NPC Water Spawn Hotfix](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,77023.0.html)
> [NPC Walkthru Water Hotfix](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,77027.0.html)
> [NPC Water Speed Hotfix & Horizontal Water Offset Hotfix](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,77030.0.html)
> [HOME Key Hotfix](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,77031.0.html)

@Zetasis:

> So are you addin the fixes as well or do we need to do those manually?

Both. The newest releases will be posted, whilst leaving the older downloads still up. I am posting hotfix tutorials in the section mentioned above.

@Kitsunemask:

> *Wraps projects vertigo in a big stylish box with a wrapper*

*Abruptly and rudely opens the gift containing PVO*

You must test it NOW! YOU TEST NOW! I NEED FIX BUGS!

@Whack:

> Tell me we will see backgrounds in this one!

…if not, improvise. I used to make my background the ground tile. A benefit of side-scrolling, is that you may only need a layer or two to stagger and layer things properly. (For any eclipse-type game).

Get creative and blow up your background to fit perfectly on your maps...

Yeah I would like to see npcs that can jump and follow you as well. Quick question, I haven had a chance to lok through the source yet but do you think tutorials such as spell casting npcs and arrows could be added to this? I'm not a programmer by any means so if I can just copy and paste them that would be great. Or maybe with little to no editing anyways?

@Whack:

> Tell me we will see backgrounds in this one!

Forgot about that! Haha. Will get right on that.

@Whack:

> Here's a list of things I would love to see in PVO:
> […]
> jumping height stat (like endurance or intelligence)

Probably not. Jump height varies so little at the moment because it's tile-based.

@Whack:

> enhanced AI's that follow you down platforms

I had trouble syncing the NPCs' with the gravity and so forth due to them lacking the same kind of client to server controls. They start off on the server and are blt'ed to the client. I gave it a shot and didn't want to give it another one.

@Whack:

> the projectile system work?

The current one released does not work using offsets; it blts the image across the map tile-by-tile (too choppy).

@Whack:

> *sound effects on contact with tiles like Platform or water (splash when you hit water etc.)

This, however, is a possibility.

@Lightning:

> Haven't looked at this in a while, but did you by any chance fix the forced log out to everyone else online if someone logs out? If you haven't, drop me a PM and I'll send you the fix. ;]

This source is brand new and separate from the other PV(s).

@Zetasis:

> do you think tutorials such as spell casting npcs and arrows could be added to this? I'm not a programmer by any means so if I can just copy and paste them that would be great. Or maybe with little to no editing anyways?

Yes. So long as they don't require a player to be facing up or down whilst casting (or doing whatever). If they do, it'll be a slight headache on your part.

**:EDIT:**
Keep in mind that there are cons to having your NPCs being able to jump and such: they can jump off platforms they shouldn't be wandering off of. So–ha!